Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-24-2018, 02:12 PM   #1
GreaseMonkey83

Drives: 2016 Camaro
Finally got to see a few '18 Mustangs run...

The local dragstrip finally opened up to the amateur racers last night after doing a full concrete re-pave over the winter. I wasn't able to get the Camaro out but since the track is a mile from where I work, I decided to stop by and do a little spectating/BS'n after I punched out.

In what it seems like an endless amount of mustangs that show up there every week, I spotted 2 2018 mustang GTs. The first had Michelin PS4's so I'm assuming it had the PP1 option. (I didn't get the opportunity to talk with the guy so I'm not 100% sure that it was) It was an A10 car and appeared to be completely stock. I watched it make 2 passes, a 12.49@114 and then a 12.52@114. There was only 1 2016 SS at the track and it, like the mustang appeared to be a bone stock automatic. I only seen it make one pass and it ran an identical 12.52 @ 114 just minutes after the mustang made its 12.52 pass. For what its worth, with yesterdays DA I would've been making passes in the 12.30's in my stock SS M6 so I think both drivers may have been babying there cars a little but their MPH was identical.

Its a small sample size but it appears the A10 mustangs have at least caught up to the A8 Camaro's for now. Are they faster like everyone seems to claim? I have seen no evidence to support that. Honestly I think it depends on the driver at this point.

There was another '18 A10 GT that ran an 11.98@115 and then a 12.00 at 117. I talked to the guy briefly. He had DR's, CAI, H-pipe, resonator delete and a Lund tune (he claimed it was the car they used to develop their tune on).

It was nice to finally cut through all the BS and see what these cars do in the real world. I wish I could've recorded some video but its hard to record with my phone in one hand and my beer in the other.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:36 PM   #2
Zeke.Malvo

Drives: 1969 Mustang MaCh1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey83 View Post
The local dragstrip finally opened up to the amateur racers last night after doing a full concrete re-pave over the winter. I wasn't able to get the Camaro out but since the track is a mile from where I work, I decided to stop by and do a little spectating/BS'n after I punched out.

In what it seems like an endless amount of mustangs that show up there every week, I spotted 2 2018 mustang GTs. The first had Michelin PS4's so I'm assuming it had the PP1 option. (I didn't get the opportunity to talk with the guy so I'm not 100% sure that it was) It was an A10 car and appeared to be completely stock. I watched it make 2 passes, a 12.49@114 and then a 12.52@114. There was only 1 2016 SS at the track and it, like the mustang appeared to be a bone stock automatic. I only seen it make one pass and it ran an identical 12.52 @ 114 just minutes after the mustang made its 12.52 pass. For what its worth, with yesterdays DA I would've been making passes in the 12.30's in my stock SS M6 so I think both drivers may have been babying there cars a little but their MPH was identical.

Its a small sample size but it appears the A10 mustangs have at least caught up to the A8 Camaro's for now. Are they faster like everyone seems to claim? I have seen no evidence to support that. Honestly I think it depends on the driver at this point.

There was another '18 A10 GT that ran an 11.98@115 and then a 12.00 at 117. I talked to the guy briefly. He had DR's, CAI, H-pipe, resonator delete and a Lund tune (he claimed it was the car they used to develop their tune on).

It was nice to finally cut through all the BS and see what these cars do in the real world. I wish I could've recorded some video but its hard to record with my phone in one hand and my beer in the other.
It's funny to see cars run in real life in front of you. I remember when everyone was touting the LS1 f-body's as 12 second cars, and then going to the track and seeing them run 13.6-7's @ 102's.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 05-24-2018, 09:58 PM   #3
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
This is the kind of info I was waiting for. Need to start going back to Palm Beach International Raceway again. The last time I was there it was still Moroso speedway. It's funny how the Mustangs trapped the same as the Camaro. The way people were carrying on, you'd think they'd outrun a ZL1.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:08 AM   #4
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey83 View Post

This is about what I expect to see in this warmer weather...mid 12s stock and high 11s with mods. All the testing on these cars soo far has been in optimal weather.

The thing is tho, seeing one with all those mods (DR's, CAI, H-pipe, resonator delete and a Lund tune) that barely cracked 11s in this weather says a lot. I doubt we'll see anyone match or beat the magazine times especially in this weather. Maybe once it gets cooler out again they'll get closer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke.Malvo View Post
It's funny to see cars run in real life in front of you. I remember when everyone was touting the LS1 f-body's as 12 second cars, and then going to the track and seeing them run 13.6-7's @ 102's.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I'm not sure what area you're in but out here in Jersey everyone considered the LS1 F-Body cars to be mid to high 13s at best. I never heard anyone say they were 12s bone stock. I have heard people with PI GTs claiming to be low 13s bone stock and we all know that isn't a thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueaddict View Post
This is the kind of info I was waiting for. Need to start going back to Palm Beach International Raceway again. The last time I was there it was still Moroso speedway. It's funny how the Mustangs trapped the same as the Camaro. The way people were carrying on, you'd think they'd outrun a ZL1.
It's because of all the intentional hype that got put on these cars. Probably as a way to justify or make people overlook the price of these cars. The 18 GT in optimal weather does an 11.8 at 119 max effort with Evans as the driver. I did an 11.8 at 122 with minimal effort (in normal driving mode nonetheless) in the Summer. LOL!! But to a Mustang guy, the GT is just as fast. Gotta love it.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:00 AM   #5
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Last Wednesday night at Atco I met an older mustang driver who said there is a guy who runs his 18 A10 GT at Atco who was running 11.8s stock. I have been to almost all the weekday T&Ts this spring and I never have seen this car. I did see a base no option except 3.55s white A10 GT run at Atco with 300 miles on the car. 12.4@114 as I remember. He was hoping for 11s. I wished him luck.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:30 AM   #6
FastCarFanBoy
Banned

Drives: 2013 GB GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueaddict View Post
I'll be getting out to PBIR in the next couple months myself....maybe we can argue about whose car is the bigger POS in person or just be car guys and enjoy the rivalry.
FastCarFanBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:10 AM   #7
Snowblind

Drives: '16 2SS / '05 SRT10 Ram / '65 bu
High DA in the spring/summer kills performance with the 6th gen high compression engines, we've felt that pain going on 3 years now, the 12:1 '18 Mustang guys are now sharing it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastCarFanBoy View Post
....maybe we can argue about whose car is the bigger POS in person or just be car guys and enjoy the rivalry.
Well said. The internet creates more animosity than what really happens at the track. Most guys there are just trying to go faster and couldn't care less about brand loyalty.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:35 AM   #8
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
This is about what I expect to see in this warmer weather...mid 12s stock and high 11s with mods. All the testing on these cars soo far has been in optimal weather.

The thing is tho, seeing one with all those mods (DR's, CAI, H-pipe, resonator delete and a Lund tune) that barely cracked 11s in this weather says a lot. I doubt we'll see anyone match or beat the magazine times especially in this weather. Maybe once it gets cooler out again they'll get closer.

I'm not sure what area you're in but out here in Jersey everyone considered the LS1 F-Body cars to be mid to high 13s at best. I never heard anyone say they were 12s bone stock. I have heard people with PI GTs claiming to be low 13s bone stock and we all know that isn't a thing.

It's because of all the intentional hype that got put on these cars. Probably as a way to justify or make people overlook the price of these cars. The 18 GT in optimal weather does an 11.8 at 119 max effort with Evans as the driver. I did an 11.8 at 122 with minimal effort (in normal driving mode nonetheless) in the Summer. LOL!! But to a Mustang guy, the GT is just as fast. Gotta love it.

HAHAHAHHAHA low13s in a stock PI GT. If anyone believed that I would love to have what they were smoking. My 04 GT auto, bone stock in about 95-85* weather was about a 14.6-14.80 car. Took me a tune, 4.10s, CAI, midpipe, catback, FRPP B springs and Mickey Thompson DR to crack 13.99 with that car. Then once I got a better tune it was a consistent 13.70 car. Hell even my 3V never cracked 13s stock lol. All though I only ran it once stock. That was a 13.50 car once I got done with it, and made a best of 13.3 in mine shaft air.

I'm still laughing at someone thinking a PI GT was a low 13 second car stock.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:55 AM   #9
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
An official publication ran 12s with a stock ls1 car. At 108 mph IIRC.

Guess who... Evan Smith. In a ford magazine. They even admitted it was faster than the cobra of the same year

They were normally mid to high 13s. Low 13s was a very good run. High 12s was achieved by a few but it was very very rare.

A PI gt was no match for an ls1 car. The 3v couldn’t get it done either. It took them till 2011 to beat an ls1 from 1997 na to na. I guess one could bring up the cobra r from 2000 but that would be pretty desperate.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:19 PM   #10
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
An official publication ran 12s with a stock ls1 car. At 108 mph IIRC.

Guess who... Evan Smith. In a ford magazine. They even admitted it was faster than the cobra of the same year

They were normally mid to high 13s. Low 13s was a very good run. High 12s was achieved by a few but it was very very rare.

A PI gt was no match for an ls1 car. The 3v couldn’t get it done either. It took them till 2011 to beat an ls1 from 1997 na to na. I guess one could bring up the cobra r from 2000 but that would be pretty desperate.
Well we know that Evan drives ringers for those hero runs that no one else can replicate..guess we better discount it.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:36 PM   #11
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
Well we know that Evan drives ringers for those hero runs that no one else can replicate..guess we better discount it.
I don't know why people about what a car can do in someone else's hands anyway. If you can't do it, does it really matter?
Old 05-25-2018, 12:48 PM   #12
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
I don't know why people about what a car can do in someone else's hands anyway. If you can't do it, does it really matter?
It's vital to maintaining a sense of personal self worth and not allowing regret to creep into past purchases.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 01:13 PM   #13
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
It's vital to maintaining a sense of personal self worth and not allowing regret to creep into past purchases.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:15 PM   #14
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
HAHAHAHHAHA low13s in a stock PI GT. If anyone believed that I would love to have what they were smoking. My 04 GT auto, bone stock in about 95-85* weather was about a 14.6-14.80 car. Took me a tune, 4.10s, CAI, midpipe, catback, FRPP B springs and Mickey Thompson DR to crack 13.99 with that car. Then once I got a better tune it was a consistent 13.70 car. Hell even my 3V never cracked 13s stock lol. All though I only ran it once stock. That was a 13.50 car once I got done with it, and made a best of 13.3 in mine shaft air.

I'm still laughing at someone thinking a PI GT was a low 13 second car stock.
I had every bolt-on on my 03 GT and the best I could do was a 14.1 thru the A4 trans. Mine was a convertible tho. Stock it was supposed to be a mid to high 14 which was pretty bad for the early 2000s.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote