#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 10-11-2018, 12:51 AM   #29
PorkchopExpress

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 Garnet Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawguy85 View Post
You're thinking like a consumer, they're thinking like content providers.
Best quote on this forum.

It's amazing to see young people utilizing trends of the 21st century in order to do things they love while making money.

No longer does one have to simply "work" to have a bit of fun in life.
PorkchopExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:52 AM   #30
Dysan911

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS
A new T-Shirt idea for them. 'Daaaaaaaaaangg SON"

Former Ride: 17 Camaro 2SS, M6 - Fifty | Procharger P1SC | 3.7 Pulley | Stage 2 IC | Race Bypass | DSX FF Kit | JRE Custom E85 Flex Fuel Tune | LT4 Fuel System | JMS Voltage Booster | MSD Plug Wires | American Racing 1-7/8's LT Headers Full System Catback | Baro Breakout Harness | LT4 Map Sensor | Katech Ported TB | MMS Oil Catch Can | 160 Thermo | Solo Performance J-Pipes

Dysan911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:47 AM   #31
wlsmoku

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
A new T-Shirt idea for them. 'Daaaaaaaaaangg SON"

hahaha they actually should!
wlsmoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:31 PM   #32
FH212

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
We need to have more hard working motivated youths like them in this world!
2001 Mecham Trans Am #3 - 7.0L LS1
FH212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:08 AM   #33
Eos

Drives: Camaro Coupé 2.0T AT8 (EU version)
Part No.5 is out!

Eos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:06 AM   #34
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
I really enjoy watching these videos for a couple reason. It's a great chance to see under the covers of the ZL1 without operating on my own. It's cool to see these guys just go after it without fear. It's encouraging and shows me that in my garage I can really do more than I give myself credit for. Can't wait to go back and watch there stuff on the Hellcat and the Z06. Just hope it doesn't encourage me to buy a salvage car and start rebuilding it. LOL!
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:44 AM   #35
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
I just hope they use loctite where appropriate and pay attention to which bolts are torque to yield and really need to be one-time-use vs. recycled. Would hate for them or someone else to get hurt if something shook loose later on.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:21 PM   #36
lawguy85

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS Silver Ice Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector 17 View Post
Just hope it doesn't encourage me to buy a salvage car and start rebuilding it. LOL!
The only downside to Goonzquad blowing up is the copycats have already arrived (not saying you, to be clear, I realize that was a joke) and people really don't grasp the difficulty behind what these guys are doing. They have a simple formula: buy a car with cosmetic damage only, outsource all framework, do the rest. The two huge caveats are the biggest headaches you can have in a build: getting a car running and getting it straight. Not trying to knock what they do whatsoever, they weld, do significant body work and incredible paint jobs themselves, stuff they've clearly trained in/done before.

Average Joe/YouTuber cannot perform this work with any competency. It's amusing to see what they do contrasted with someone like B is for Build, completely different standards. I guess a huge testament to them is they make absolutely hard work look so easy it's tempting to view it and say "hey I can do that". After several project cars in my teens/early 20s I can confidently say "nope, not even gonna give that a try". Copart for a track car would be a wise investment, something with hail damage or flood damage but otherwise running, anything else and you're facing several thousand in parts and another several thousand in labor.
lawguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:20 PM   #37
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
Quote:
The only downside to Goonzquad blowing up is the copycats have already arrived (not saying you, to be clear, I realize that was a joke) and people really don't grasp the difficulty behind what these guys are doing. They have a simple formula: buy a car with cosmetic damage only, outsource all framework, do the rest. The two huge caveats are the biggest headaches you can have in a build: getting a car running and getting it straight. Not trying to knock what they do whatsoever, they weld, do significant body work and incredible paint jobs themselves, stuff they've clearly trained in/done before.

Average Joe/YouTuber cannot perform this work with any competency. It's amusing to see what they do contrasted with someone like B is for Build, completely different standards. I guess a huge testament to them is they make absolutely hard work look so easy it's tempting to view it and say "hey I can do that". After several project cars in my teens/early 20s I can confidently say "nope, not even gonna give that a try". Copart for a track car would be a wise investment, something with hail damage or flood damage but otherwise running, anything else and you're facing several thousand in parts and another several thousand in labor.
Completely agree. There are some things that you don't want to be toying around with. The ZL1 didn't need any airbags but those are a really good example of something you don't want to mess with if you don't know what you're doing.

I also agree that these guys have definitely had some sort of training. They're just too efficient and confident to be toying around. Video editing doesn't hurt either. It makes the long hours they've put in working on these cars look simple.

Having said on that, there are dozens of car shows on TV that do the same things. They make it look super simple when it isn't quite that way. But if it encourages a few people to get out and do some simple work on their cars, it's not a bad thing. Lots of garage mechanic level things like changing fluids, filters, etc, can save you a lot of money and are simple enough to do.
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:28 PM   #38
Mcardenal

Drives: 2018 Nightfall Gray Metalic ZL1 A10
Quote:
You're thinking like a consumer, they're thinking like content providers. The build provides multiple channels of income for them [merch, ad revenue, Patreon, sponsors]. The worse off the car, the more videos they can do.

It's amusing, I know the average temperament here seems to be surly SOB, but if you can find a way to hate on these guys its time for a hard look in the mirror. Super inoffensive, actually put in hard work, last projects have been Mustang GT, Corvette Z06 and Hellcat, they put production value in videos and are doing a shop build while saving these great cars from junkyards. Not only that, they do it the right way, no half-assing. Frame repair, all OEM parts, prepped/booth multi stage paint jobs. They're the closest thing Gen Z will have to Powerblock TV, I had Stacy David, Goonzquad is that for a new generation.

Exactly!
Mcardenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:13 AM   #39
shaftwhy

Drives: ZL1 Finally
I just hope they took advertisement money from some other brand other than lexus. To match the performance of ZL1, at least wow at GT3 instead of LC500 and RCF LOL.
shaftwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 03:46 AM   #40
cuspid

Drives: 04 z06 yellow
I see a TV show next
cuspid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 06:25 AM   #41
NinoSS

Drives: 2SS/RS CGM LS3
Quote:
You're thinking like a consumer, they're thinking like content providers. The build provides multiple channels of income for them [merch, ad revenue, Patreon, sponsors]. The worse off the car, the more videos they can do.

It's amusing, I know the average temperament here seems to be surly SOB, but if you can find a way to hate on these guys its time for a hard look in the mirror. Super inoffensive, actually put in hard work, last projects have been Mustang GT, Corvette Z06 and Hellcat, they put production value in videos and are doing a shop build while saving these great cars from junkyards. Not only that, they do it the right way, no half-assing. Frame repair, all OEM parts, prepped/booth multi stage paint jobs. They're the closest thing Gen Z will have to Powerblock TV, I had Stacy David, Goonzquad is that for a new generation.
Well said! I applaud these kids...
Old 10-13-2018, 09:59 AM   #42
mdmoore23

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector 17 View Post
I really enjoy watching these videos for a couple reason. It's a great chance to see under the covers of the ZL1 without operating on my own. It's cool to see these guys just go after it without fear. It's encouraging and shows me that in my garage I can really do more than I give myself credit for. Can't wait to go back and watch there stuff on the Hellcat and the Z06. Just hope it doesn't encourage me to buy a salvage car and start rebuilding it. LOL!
Funny. I've actually caught myself looking through Copart auctions after watching these guys. I used to be a tech and think I could pull of some of this work, but you gotta be pretty well connected to make this stuff work. They obviously have a go to frame guy and paint booths they can use when needed. A lot of the times they're just winging it too though, so it's cool to see them figure out how to approach some of those issues. I hope they do a background video one day explaining how they got into this. They definitely seem pretty young to have extensive body repair experience.
mdmoore23 is offline   Reply With Quote