Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 09-06-2018, 10:57 PM   #1
ItsMTsmurf

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
2016 Camaro passenger door wont physically open.

My passenger door will not open from the outside nor through the inside. The car was wrapped and it was dissasembled BUT I am 100% sure everything was put together the exact same way as OEM. The door was opened multiple times prior to this issue. All that happened was, I closed it, locked it, and attempted to open it again but it wouldn't budge. All electronics including the key work. My guess is the door latch is just stuck. Does anyone have a diagram of the door mechanism? or does anyone have any idea how to remove the door panel with the door closed? Any help or advice aside from taking it to the dealer is much appreciated.
ItsMTsmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 06:28 AM   #2
24v
Account Suspended

Drives: 2018 SS
Maybe this helps?
24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:34 AM   #3
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
When you press the lock/un-lock button on the door or the key fob can you hear anything inside the door?

It sounds like the door is locked and the electrical isn't working.

Pretty tough to jam up a door latch unless you really try hard to hood up the rods and cables incorrectly...………..easier mistake is to just not hook them up at all. But I'm not sure what you mean by "it was wrapped and disassembled". Why would you remove door trim and do anything with a door latch to wrap the car?

If it's locked and you aren't hearing the actuator you'll have to pull the door trim as suggested above. But that's hard to do with the door closed.

You may need to find a competent thief to break in for you.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:50 AM   #4
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
When you press the lock/un-lock button on the door or the key fob can you hear anything inside the door?

Pretty tough to jam up a door latch unless you really try hard to hood up the rods and cables incorrectly...………..easier mistake is to just not hook them up at all. But I'm not sure what you mean by "it was wrapped and disassembled". Why would you remove door trim and do anything with a door latch to wrap the car?

If it's locked and you aren't hearing the actuator you'll have to pull the door trim as suggested above. But that's hard to do with the door closed.

Great advice. Was going to have a similar reply that is sounds electrical in nature.
I can't image trying to remove the door trim with the door closed.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 01:13 AM   #5
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Well if it workrd before, then it was NOT put back 100% correct. Could be a connector....

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 09:29 AM   #6
Sweptwing

Drives: 2017 2LT RS V6 M/T
Haven’t seen the inside of a door for a few years but it could also be a linkage clip too!
Sweptwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 09:15 PM   #7
ItsMTsmurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post

I managed to remove the door handle and put a camera througb to see if anything was disonnected. All seems intact. I can hear the actuator working. It makes the noise of locking and unlocking. Ended up diss-assembling my driver door pannel and made a coat hanger to go straight down to the latch. Figured out the way to basically break into the car. Did the same on the passenger door (the bad one) and still nothing! You can feel the latch with the coat hanger and that methor worked on the good door. Something must be jamming the door just no idea what it is still.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:16 PM   #8
matt fe2o3

Drives: 2SS Hyper Blue
Have you tries having someone climb in the pax side and put a good shoulder into the door when you lift the latch with your break in tool.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:31 AM   #9
Sweptwing

I wonder if a piece of vinyl wrap could have somehow wedged the striker in the latch.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:38 PM   #10
ItsMTsmurf

Tried that today and nothing. Managed to open the door panel just enough to see see the actuator. I can see it lock and unlock but the door will not open. Im assuming the actuator just broke on the inside somehow. I am now hoping my warranty covers it because I cant think of anything else. Just wondering now if anyone else has had this issue?
Old 09-14-2018, 09:33 AM   #11
Sweptwing

Passenger door won’t open

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMTsmurf View Post
Tried that today and nothing. Managed to open the door panel just enough to see see the actuator. I can see it lock and unlock but the door will not open. Im assuming the actuator just broke on the inside somehow. I am now hoping my warranty covers it because I cant think of anything else. Just wondering now if anyone else has had this issue?
Curious how your door issue is coming? Please let us know how you make out.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:32 AM   #12
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
I had this happen on an old Honda and it was a nightmare.
The basic procedure:
1) remove interior door panel with door closed. This sucks.
2) you need knowledge of the layout of the actuator. Drill a hole in the actuator so you can manually advance the gears which drive the unlatch mechanism. You drill the hole so you can get a screwdriver in there to move the gears. On a seized mechanism the gears could be very stubborn. This part actually sucked worse than removing the door panel!
3) this should get the door open, then you rebuild.

This was easily one of the most frustrating car repairs I have done in the last 30 years!
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 04:33 PM   #13
mcintyre1969

Drives: 1968 SS/RS, 2006 H2 2016 2SS White
Weld the other door shut, paint orange and add a confederate flag to the roof. Problem solved.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:57 PM   #14
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintyre1969 View Post
Weld the other door shut, paint orange and add a confederate flag to the roof. Problem solved.
That might work on the General Lee, but I’d love to see someone try and hop in a.Camaro though the narrow window opening.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote