Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-19-2015, 11:59 PM   #1
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
3 Radiators? (1 main+2 auxiliary)

So what's up with 3 radiator's? Are they over engineering the SS in antisapation of a lt4 powered model? Or are they just that concerned with poor cooling?
Old 05-20-2015, 12:13 AM   #2
TrickracenLS3

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Red Hot
Could be like the z51 corvette where 1 is for the differential, 1 for trans, 1 for the engine.
TrickracenLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 05:39 AM   #3
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
according to Car and Driver

Quote:
The main radiator is located in the conventional position, and two smaller radiators are stationed on either side, mounted at right angles

At the bottom of the box formed by the V-8’s three radiators lies a horizontally mounted transmission cooler, through which air flows downward.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:53 AM   #4
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Well that same article made a good point about Chevy saying that the SS would be a 'track' focused car ala the 1LE. So having multiple radiators ala the 1LE and the Z/28 is only natural. A more potent car out of the box for those of us with 5th Gen SS and SS/1LE cars.

I can dig it. Just hope they go with a better vendor for their oil coolers and lines (Lookin' at you TSB!)
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:55 AM   #5
Gen_Nick3.8

Drives: 22 ZL1 1LE
The 6th gen SS has Engine Cooler, Oil cooler, Transmission Cooler. No diff cooler.
Gen_Nick3.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:26 PM   #6
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabo View Post
Well that same article made a good point about Chevy saying that the SS would be a 'track' focused car ala the 1LE. So having multiple radiators ala the 1LE and the Z/28 is only natural. A more potent car out of the box for those of us with 5th Gen SS and SS/1LE cars.

I can dig it. Just hope they go with a better vendor for their oil coolers and lines (Lookin' at you TSB!)
But the question still stands does it "need" 3 to stay cool due to poor airflow or are they over building it for track days or future blower models?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen_Nick3.8 View Post
The 6th gen SS has Engine Cooler, Oil cooler, Transmission Cooler. No diff cooler.
Correct but those are separate from the radiator and 2 heat exchangers for "just" the coolant. Or have I read it all wrong and those extra 2 are for the oil and trans and gm just connected them all?
Old 05-20-2015, 09:33 PM   #7
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASTY99Z28 View Post
But the question still stands does it "need" 3 to stay cool due to poor airflow or are they over building it for track days or future blower models?
Given the front aero is still similar to the 5th gen and I don't think the LT1 runs hotter than the LS3, I believe this is to ensure track ability and repeated passes. But also have to keep in mind the amount of aero tuning for reducing drag. That had to affect some cooling ability, maybe not enough to cause any cooling issues though.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:44 PM   #8
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen_Nick3.8 View Post
Does the manual SS have a trans cooler or only the auto? I was hoping for a diff cooler as well. I wonder if the ats-v has one that's compatible.
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:22 PM   #9
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
At this time, do we know if they are all for coolant or if one side is engine oil and the other something else? AC condenser? Trains cooler?

If there are 3, that's what size and track ability required. Trust GM engineering, this isn't Ford. There may have been alterations needed to make it all work with the Alpha chassis.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:41 PM   #10
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
From the Hot Rod article about the LT1 in the Camaro.

Quote:
Link was excited to point out the amount of cooling across the board on the 2016 Camaro. The radiator did shrink compared to fifth-gen, but the addition of outboard coolers and a high-powered electric fan in combination with improved airflow resulted in an overall cooling package that’s very efficient. “Water temp on these cars is just phenomenal, we’ve been really pleased.” Even during hard driving, cooling is consistent with “zero spark retard.”
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:38 PM   #11
DannyB

Drives: Impala
It is also mentioned at the end of the Car & Driver article that part of the reason for all the cooling is the SS being a "Track Capable" car. The criteria GM uses for this designation is that the car can run full speed for an entire tank of gas around the test track without blowing anything up in the car.
DannyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:55 AM   #12
BahamaTodd

Drives: 08 Accord V6/M6 / 04 Canyon Z71
Wonder if these open passages through the V6 front bumper cool the brakes or anything.

BahamaTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:24 AM   #13
CmeltoN91

Drives: 13 Elantra Coupe(not for long!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BahamaTodd View Post
Wonder if these open passages through the V6 front bumper cool the brakes or anything.

I'm fairly certain those are just air foils to direct airflow around the sides of the car. I could be wrong but that's what it looks like to me.

Looks like that they divert air around the wheels/wheel well area...which is where a lot of drag can occur...I've watched a lot of air tunnel vids on the ol YouTube lol
CmeltoN91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:49 AM   #14
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmeltoN91 View Post
I'm fairly certain those are just air foils to direct airflow around the sides of the car. I could be wrong but that's what it looks like to me.

Looks like that they divert air around the wheels/wheel well area...which is where a lot of drag can occur...I've watched a lot of air tunnel vids on the ol YouTube lol

Yes, they reduce drag and front end lift. The new Mustang has them too
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote