Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 05-19-2015, 02:00 PM   #1
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
4 Cylinder in a Camaro...

OMG i coulda sworn i read somewhere that wasn't going to happen guess someone lied to us... I get the whole CAFE standards they need to abide by now but holy crap i mean really i like alot about the 6th Gen aside from that 4 cylinder option and the ball drop on the tailights yet again. That and it literally took a page from mustang and got more euro looking in a few areas.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:04 PM   #2
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
0-60 in well under 6 seconds.

Will be a big seller in Ca.

The more 4's and 6's they sell, the more V8's they can build.

I'm fine with it, more young kids will have the opportunity of owning a Camaro. And that's a good thing.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:04 PM   #3
Splitter
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 RRM 1LT/RS A6
Go away troll!

Quote:

I'm fine with it, more young kids will have the opportunity of owning a Camaro. And that's a good thing.
This on the other hand is accurate.
Splitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:06 PM   #4
Lacpac

Drives: 2012 Crystal Red Tintcoat RS
The news release read 0-60 "well under 6 seconds". I find that hard to believe unless they cranked the boost on this compared to the 4T ATS. The 2015 4T ATS best time was 6.3.
Will have to wait for real forum numbers.
Lacpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:08 PM   #5
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacpac View Post
The news release read 0-60 "well under 6 seconds". I find that hard to believe unless they cranked the boost on this compared to the 4T ATS. The 2015 4T ATS best time was 6.3.
C&D did it in 5.7..

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...al-test-review
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:09 PM   #6
bdavies11

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
OMG i coulda sworn i read somewhere that wasn't going to happen guess someone lied to us... I get the whole CAFE standards they need to abide by now but holy crap i mean really i like alot about the 6th Gen aside from that 4 cylinder option and the ball drop on the tailights yet again. That and it literally took a page from mustang and got more euro looking in a few areas.
Who's forcing you to buy the 4 cylinder?
bdavies11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:20 PM   #7
MikeT

Drives: 2008 Malibu V6
Personally, I would have a problem with it if GM had adopted Ford's approach with the Mustang (i.e., pushing the 4 cylinder and discouraging buyers of the V6 by limiting the options/packages available with it). A lot of Mustang people believe that it's only a matter of time before F ditches the V6 completely.

GM is not taking Ford's approach, though. The Camaro V6 is alive and well... and upgraded.
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:23 PM   #8
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
0-60 in well under 6 seconds.

Will be a big seller in Ca.

This.

You have to realize that if the 6 cylinder and now 4 cylinder Camaro didn't exist, they wouldn't sell enough v8's to warrant making the Camaro. And if they did, it wouldn't be nearly as nice of a car.

You don't have to buy the small engine. The SS even looks noticeably different.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:25 PM   #9
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
Good heavens - you DO realize this 'measly' 4 cyl is putting out about twice the HP of the mid-'70s and early '80s V8 Camaros don't you?

That is a healthy motor in there, it is affordable for young people and I'm sure will have spirited performance in this lighter Camaro platform.

Who cares what else GM offers as long as they offer choices, right? It's a great day to be a performance car enthusiast, whether you can swing the Hellcat or your budget is geared to a Camaro or a Mustang with a Turbocharged 4 cylinder.

Bravo to GM for offering the 4!
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD

Last edited by Raven87; 05-19-2015 at 03:29 PM.
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:26 PM   #10
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacpac View Post
ATS didn't have the A8 available. That usually knocks a solid 2-5 tenths off 0-60.

Also take note the Ecoboost is out selling the V6 Mustang significantly by all accounts. Times are changing.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:29 PM   #11
titanfan
Account Suspended

Drives: Several in a big garage
Quote:
Nope. GM never said no 4-cylinder in a Camaro. There was a quote from Al O. Where he said something along the lines of, if it was his choice, he would not put 4 banger in the car. As we all know, Al O. does not make those decisions, he just engineers what GM asks him to. In this case, it looks like the corporate bean counters won out over Al's opinion.
titanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:30 PM   #12
airjonny

Drives: Nissan Murano
Still weighing my options between a this, a Mustang or BRZ. If I don't get the v8, I'll be getting this turbo 4. The tuning potential of this thing is going to be huge. This is the same 2.0 from the Astra VXR, right?
airjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:36 PM   #13
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Anyone who said that it wasn't getting a 4 cylinder was either
a) offering their opinion on what they THINK was going to happen
b) restating the opinion of someone else that they mistook for fact

Being wrong or misinformed is not the same as lying, which requires intentional deception.

To the best of my knowledge, nobody from GM ever went on the record saying 'no 4 cylinder in the 6th gen'.

And I would REALLY like to see what 'euro' cars that are inspiring the style of the Camaro and Mustang. Because to me, a Ferrari looks different from a Lambo which looks different from a BMW which looks different from a Volvo which looks different from a VW which looks different from an Alpha which looks different from an Audi which looks different from a Mercedes which looks different from a Fiat which looks different from a Mini which looks different from an Aston Martin which looks different from a Smart which looks different from a Bently which looks different from a Rolls Royce which looks different from a .... well, I think you get the idea. There is no such thing as a singular 'euro' style.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:36 PM   #14
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Camaro had a 4 Cylinder before in earlier years. And beside the 4 cylinder is putting out almost as much HP as a 77 Trans AM.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote