Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-13-2016, 08:38 AM   #71
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
I bought a 2016 GT premium ....
Congrats, the 5.0 is a great engine to mod. Also has the best exhaust note.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:18 AM   #72
Steve 2016 SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by blancaesq12 View Post
I would appreciate any input on this issue.

My 2010 Camaro has a blown engine and I believe it was due to excessive oil consumption. My car has about 82,000 miles and I am out of warranty by time and not mileage. I had just taken my car for an oil change on April 15th and when the car broke down the dipstick showed no oil.

I visited the service department on a last attempt to see if anything could be done since I ran out of warranty. The Service Advisor and Service Manager told me that GM might be able to help but they would have to tear down the engine first at my expense to see what was the cause. They estimated about 500$ plus the tow. I was told that I would still have to pay some money out of pocket or 50/50 if GM decides to help.

I am just disappointed with Chevy after reading all these threads about blown engines due to excessive oil consumption. If Chevy noticed it was a common issue they should have notified buyers. I paid for the extended warranty and it had to screw up after it Expired. Typical. Could it have been an error during the last oil change?

At this point, I don't know if I should take the risk or use that money to purchase a new car. I still owe 3,500 on the Camaro. It seems it is not worth it at this point. Has anyone else ever received assistance from GM? How much did you pay out of pocket? I would appreciate the input.

If I buy a new car I will have second thoughts about getting a Chevy.
My sons 2010 blew up almost exactly the same day as your with almost the exact same mileage... Crank and 2 connecting rods! GM cut me a deal on the parts (probably only due to the fact I just bought a 16 SS) I would not chance putting in an engine from a scrap yard!!
Steve 2016 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 12:15 PM   #73
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkentect View Post
Ew
LOL better than my blown 2LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForceGB View Post
Congrats, the 5.0 is a great engine to mod. Also has the best exhaust note.
Yea the 5.0 is an awesome motor, was going to keep it stock but I pick it upat 6pm today and get the exhaust done tomorrow at 1pm
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:10 AM   #74
shrinkdoc

Drives: SRT Yugo GT Super Sport with Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
The 2012 lfx still consumes oil . Ask me how I know . I've added a CC and a Clean side separator to help combat the issue .

Yes but do they still have the timing chain issue??
shrinkdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:15 AM   #75
shrinkdoc

Drives: SRT Yugo GT Super Sport with Manual
Anyone know why the Low oil gauges don't work on the Camaro?? I have heard just too damn many stories of cars with low oil damage and the oil late never came on? Thats effed up. How come GM is not addressing that?
shrinkdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:18 AM   #76
djrasras

Drives: 2010 2LT Bumblebee
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkdoc View Post
Anyone know why the Low oil gauges don't work on the Camaro?? I have heard just too damn many stories of cars with low oil damage and the oil late never came on? Thats effed up. How come GM is not addressing that?
At least in my 2010 2LT, there is no low oil gauge that I know of. There is an oil pressure gauge, and a digital warning for low oil life that goes by how many miles you have driven since the last oil change, which it knows only if you remember to manually reset the oil timer setting whenever you do a change
AirLift Air Suspension, Stainless Works Long Tube Headers + Hi-Flo Cats, Resonated X-Pipe, MRT V2 Mufflers, VMAX Ice-olator and Ported Throttle Body, Barton Short Throw Shifter, CAI Intake + Air Scoop
djrasras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:23 AM   #77
blancaesq12

Drives: 2010 Camaro
UPDATE

I had my car towed to the Dealership to begin teardown. They determined that It does need a new engine. GM offered to assist even though I am out of Powertrain Warranty by time and not mileage. According to the Dealership, my part will be 2,700 but I am communicating with GM and I think I might get them to help more lol. New engine 3 year 100,000 mile warranty. I appreciate all the advice.
blancaesq12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 12:36 PM   #78
djrasras

Quote:
UPDATE

I had my car towed to the Dealership to begin teardown. They determined that It does need a new engine. GM offered to assist even though I am out of Powertrain Warranty by time and not mileage. According to the Dealership, my part will be 2,700 but I am communicating with GM and I think I might get them to help more lol. New engine 3 year 100,000 mile warranty. I appreciate all the advice.
Good to hear bro! My car got into a fender bender a couple weeks ago (perfect time to ruin my carfax report -__-) and I should be picking it up all fixed up today. Gonna remove all the aesthetic mods (carbon fiber stripes, spoiler, etc.) before I take it to GM to hopefully get my engine codes taken away and the AC fixed. Then its going up on craigslist
AirLift Air Suspension, Stainless Works Long Tube Headers + Hi-Flo Cats, Resonated X-Pipe, MRT V2 Mufflers, VMAX Ice-olator and Ported Throttle Body, Barton Short Throw Shifter, CAI Intake + Air Scoop
Old 06-29-2016, 11:42 AM   #79
Machinehead

Drives: 2012 LS
Quote:
UPDATE

That's a fair price for a brand new engine and installation and a warranty. Just keep some extra quarts in the trunk and get the catch can
Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 12:51 PM   #80
djrasras

So I realized today that the used engine (that had around 50k miles on it) that was put in my Camaro recently eats even more oil than my last one! 1 quart in 3 weeks!!!

So ya, extra quarts in the trunk plus checking oil every fill-up is just gonna be part of my routine now I guess. My only worry is that the last owner of this engine didn't take the best care of it, and I'm basically driving another ticking time bomb. I want to keep this car, but I don't think I can afford a 2nd engine swap on a college budget :(
Old 06-29-2016, 07:44 PM   #81
esperman
You Can Call Me Jay

Drives: 2010 1LT RJT Manual w/CAI & Solo
GREAT POST. This is how I broke in my LLT. Switched to M1 after 1500 miles. So far at 27K no oil use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Engineering View Post
The LLT and LFX engines are truly great engines in design, it is only the direct injection intake valve coking and other related problems that casue most of these failures. If you install the proper Elite system (E2 or E2-X with cleanside) and do the PCV barb drill mod, you can avoid most all of this and have a long life.

Other things to understand:

Break in is critical. You MUST seat the rings properly in the first few hundred miles or the rings will never seat properly. This involves following these instructions when new (ignore the owners manual)

Then, ALWAYS check oil level every fuel fill up. The V6 has not low level "idiot light" to warn you.

ONLY run a good full synthetic oil. M1 is my least desired pick. Amsoil or similar is the best, but Quaker State, Pennzoil, Valvoline all have great low price full synthetics. The cheap DEXOS syn blend contributes to the worn timing chains, etc. These engine rev higher and have more moving parts than the V8 push rod engines, and they need that extra protection.

If you have a LLT or LFX engine that uses oil, there is a chance that after installing the proper Elite system it will slow or cease, but that is only if the reason it consumes oil is from the rings and ring lands becoming "gunked" up with varnish and deposits from the lack of cooling and cleaning fuel spray port injection engines of old have.

Once you stop the introduction of the oil and other compounds that cause the coking and deposits, there is a chance that the rings will free back up and be able to properly seal again. Assuming the rings were seated properly to begin with.

Ask any other questions. The new 2016 Camaro has ALL GDI engines now, so you will still face the same issues if not addressed by you the owner. GDI is here to stay, and even though there have been improvements to reduce these issues, they are still severe and can only be prevented by the owner taking the proper steps.

esperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:30 AM   #82
djrasras

Well the engine that was put in my car already had 50k miles on it, so I guess there is nothing I can do about making sure the seals were seated properly during break in. So now I should get the elite engineering dirty side catch can, but is the clean side definitely necessary too?
Old 06-30-2016, 09:15 AM   #83
arkentect

Drives: 2010 Camaro SGM 1LT M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrasras View Post
Well the engine that was put in my car already had 50k miles on it, so I guess there is nothing I can do about making sure the seals were seated properly during break in. So now I should get the elite engineering dirty side catch can, but is the clean side definitely necessary too?
Sell the car. Let someone else worry about it.
arkentect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:20 AM   #84
djrasras

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkentect View Post
Sell the car. Let someone else worry about it.
I guess that would be the smart thing to do. I really want to keep the car (its the first car I've bought and I've had it for 4 years), but maybe I'll put it on craigslist and see what kind of offers I get.

Tags
blown engine, oil consumption, warranty problem engine