Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-17-2018, 12:26 PM   #71
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko04 View Post
There’s a distinct difference between “need” and additional protection. There may not be a need, otherwise that would be an admission of faulty engineering and no Engineer is going to admit that after all we spent all this money on R&D.
Evidence is suggesting the LT1 does NOT lose power over time if you drive it like a C&D employee.

Further, it has been pointed out the motor is designed to burn some oil mist w/o causing issues with detonation or anything else. The Fact C&D's Grand Sport gained hp over 40k miles points to this being the case In Real Life, not just because the engineer did work.

So what issue is a catch can solving?

However, if the engine is being custom tuned I could see additional timing being dialed in w/o the oil mist present. Also, forced induction and/or sustained high rpm driving may push more oil than the motor was designed for. In the situation where you're out of warranty or don't care about warranty and are making mods that require a custom tune, I can see adding a can.

For me, I'm not going thru the hassle of adding a can and removing it when the car goes to the dealer for a stock motor under warranty.

Just saw this about the "Italian Tune Up", it has some interesting facts in it.

DaveC113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 12:47 PM   #72
00 Trans Ram

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsxmatt View Post
Senario 4 - You install the catch can and have another emission control or similar problem that warranty denies coverage because of a modified emissions control device.

Now this depends on the dealer and problem. but having a catch can is not a win win situation always.
Maybe. But, that why your state has a Department of Insurance. Make a report. By law, if you make a report, the DOI must investigate. They will request information from the dealership. Again by law, the dealership MUST respond. It's a LOT of headache for a company to respond to DOI investigations.

Source - worked closely with the DOI in a former job, and made a similar complaint.
00 Trans Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 01:40 PM   #73
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
We know that our DI engines can experience a build-up of oil gunk on the valves. We know that this happens to DI cars in general, not just ours.

My question is: Have you guys with lots of miles actually experienced any running or drivability problems?

If so, can you please tell us what those problems were and at what mileage they appeared?
The cleaner you keep your oil the less buildup. If you run your oil until its dirty and black the more sticky buildup you will have.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:06 AM   #74
Whocares05050

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
It looks like C&D's Corvette GS gained power over their 40k mile long term test.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...rt-reliability

This reinforces my decision to NOT use a catch can and make sure I operate the car the way it was meant to be driven in order to minimize intake valve deposits.

After warranty I can see using a CC and replacing the AFM lifters, but while it's under warranty it doesn't make any sense to me to risk warranty denials.
"Drive it the way it was meant to be driven..."

You do realize the more you sit at redline the more oil vapor is coating your valves, right? There is zero fuel cleaning the back of the valves... i really do think some of you have no clue how DI works....
Whocares05050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:07 AM   #75
Whocares05050

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
The cleaner you keep your oil the less buildup. If you run your oil until its dirty and black the more sticky buildup you will have.
False. The carbon buildup is from oil vapor from the crankcase..... clean or dirty, that oil is sticking no matter what.....
Old 10-19-2018, 09:11 AM   #76
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whocares05050 View Post
"Drive it the way it was meant to be driven..."

You do realize the more you sit at redline the more oil vapor is coating your valves, right? There is zero fuel cleaning the back of the valves... i really do think some of you have no clue how DI works....
LOL, spot on. That or how the PCV system works, what piston rings do, what windage is, the oil Noack volatility, and so forth.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:47 AM   #77
DaveC113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
LOL, spot on. That or how the PCV system works, what piston rings do, what windage is, the oil Noack volatility, and so forth.
You're arrogant AF, think you know everything, LOL... You have no idea who you're talking to on here buddy. But I can tell you, if some of the $hit you say on here was an IRL conversation you'd look like a complete idiot. Some of us here might just be engineers involved in designing the things you think you know so much about. Lol...

For all those thinking you NEED a catch can on a stock motor that is mostly street driven and are willing to risk your warranty over it... you think you know better then the engineers who designed the motor? All of your ideas are based on conspiracy-esque theories, it's just ridiculous.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:48 AM   #78
DaveC113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whocares05050 View Post
. i really do think some of you have no clue how DI works....
Oh, the irony!
Old 10-19-2018, 09:58 AM   #79
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113, talking about himself View Post
You're arrogant AF, think you know everything, LOL... You have no idea who you're talking to on here buddy. But I can tell you, if some of the $hit you say on here was an IRL conversation you'd look like a complete idiot. Some of us here might just be engineers involved in designing the things you think you know so much about. Lol...
I appreciate you writing your own diss. Are you naive enough to think I'm not in the auto industry? Clearly that's rhetorical.

The irony of your irony, not knowing the LT1 already has an oil separator.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:06 AM   #80
DaveC113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post

The irony of your irony, not knowing the LT1 already has an oil separator.
You keep on ASSuming all this ridiculous $hit.

No matter how much you know, or in this case think you know, you'll always be a condescending, arrogant prick.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:24 AM   #81
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70chevelleSS View Post
You do realize how easy it is to remove a catch can and replace stock parts. Literally no way they’d ever know it was there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
True but for the 5th Gen owner that was denied warranty the car got caught on the side of the road a good distance from home IIRC and then towed in due to an oil pump failure so the dude couldn't get it yanked off in time if he wanted to. Stuff happens
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:28 AM   #82
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
LOL, love this thread. This is a simple 'to each his own' topic. The can won't hurt anything, but there seems to be more evidence it's a solution chasing a problem than actually solving one.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:35 AM   #83
Whocares05050

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
Oh, the irony!
Go back to growing weed and playing on your guitar....
Old 10-19-2018, 10:53 AM   #84
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
A simple verification would be, take an LT1 with say 20-40k miles on it, and on the same day, with the same dyno, do a before and after a manual valve cleaning they will see first hand.

Here is one at 20k mile, the car owner, an Aerospace Engineer, did the cleaning and participated in the dyno runs every step.

Here is his results:

Also, on warranty, again, it is in violation of Federal Law to void a warranty for a catchcan that does not defeat, delete, vent to the atmosphere, or in any way reduce or suppress any function of the factory PCV system, and all of our systems from the base Elite to the ultimate E2-X meets all of these requirements. That does not mean an unscrupulous dealer won't hassle you, but the FTC has guides and will assist in a complaint if one should run into an issue. And as most know, we sell thousands and thousands of our systems and have only had the one well documented false claim from a dealer tech, and it was a failed oil pump that GM has been known for for decades. He had the pump replaced and all was good afterwards.

Now a vented, breathered, or any system that defeats or deletes any of the functions IS grounds.

So some will still debate this all, but the proof is simple and anyone can do this to verify. Just as our claim of the most effective systems on the market can be tested to confirm as well by anyone willing to do the test themselves against ANY other cans design.
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote