Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-24-2020, 05:42 PM   #15
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i would say 1ss and order it the way you want it and should be around the same i got my 16 1ss for 41k out the door only option was npp exhaust
Old 08-24-2020, 06:42 PM   #16
2 Sweet
Oozing Machismo

Drives: '89 IROC-Z
Yeah, I guess a 1SS optioned how I would like is only a couple grand more...

I guess I just need to weigh the positives and negatives and go from there
2 Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 07:31 PM   #17
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Sweet View Post

This is really a matter of preference and how much you're willing to pay for electronics and convenience items, performance will be comparable from LT1 through 1SS to 2SS (non-1LE). One thing, even though you said you didn't care for fancy interior upgrades, the base gauge cluster on the LT1 is really basic, it's Charger rental territory, perhaps even worse.

I myself went with the 2SS because of all the extras that are useful to me specifically, and also because I will never order a new car, it's a once in a lifetime thing (as it's financial lunacy). Heck, even the 2SS trim isn't exactly overspec'd in today's car world, and I am not planning to flip the car, it's my forever Camaro... so I went with it.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18

Last edited by arpad_m; 08-24-2020 at 10:17 PM. Reason: typo
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 09:16 PM   #18
3.8TransAM

Drives: SS 1LE, 89 TTA, 91 GTA, 91 Formula
LT1 would be kickass if they dumped all the crap u dont need and left with all the performance stuff.

Like the old Formula concept. Since it deletes performance stuff it hurts it in my opinion, especially once u add any large $$ options.
3.8TransAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 09:30 PM   #19
ModernCamaroZ28Fan
LT1_Radenso

Drives: a 2 spd water bottle
The 6 way speakers is better than speakers in modern civics, and the like. However, Bose is much better, not perfect, but better. The 8-inch screen is a big difference though.

ModernCamaroZ28Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 10:03 PM   #20
ModernCamaroZ28Fan
LT1_Radenso

Drives: a 2 spd water bottle
The SS really only adds better tires, better cooling, and better brakes. If you just want a car that you can floor anywhere, I'd go for the LT1.

But, you do miss out on a better gauge cluster, heated and cooled seats, track mode (with track warranty), and higher top end speed. Plus, MRC is a must, it makes the car more smooth on bumpy rides. However, MRC is not a standard option.

ModernCamaroZ28Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 04:58 AM   #21
indy82z

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS HW Edition, 2020 LT1
I too went back and forth on 1SS or LT1 before settling on the LT1. First off, we also have a 2018 2SS, so I have one with all the bells and whistles already, so knew exactly what I was getting and what I would actually use and not. I also figured this was going to be my last new Camaro, so I wanted something with as few options as possible so I had less things to break down the road as my plan is to keep this one forever. People talk about heated and cooled seats and blind spot monitoring, but unless you are really stepping it up to a 2SS, these are a mute point. I for one was not willing to pay that much extra. To be honest, the only thing my 2SS has that I really wish my LT1 had was the heads up display. I prefer the more subtle look of the LT1 over the SS and honestly, being a new model, it is still pretty rare to see an LT1 and I like that. I found a set of super low mileage 20 SS wheels and tires and swapped those on my LT1 when it had 2 miles. Still have the stock set so if I ever want to drive it when it is cold but dry, I have that set of wheels and tires ready to go. Got a great deal on them so cost was not much at all. Driving my SS and LT1, don't really notice any difference in handling. Ya, the back brakes are smaller (read cheaper to replace when the time comes) and it is missing some coolers, but I never planned on tracking the car, so that was no worry for me. I wanted a fun daily in the summer that did not cost a fortune and still made me excited to get in and drive back and forth to work and the LT1 fit the bill perfectly.
2018 Camaro SS Hot Wheels Edition #838
indy82z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 07:11 AM   #22
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
I went w/ the LT1.

Didn't need all the extra track stuff that I'd never use, but would have to haul around and adds to a repair bill.

If you plan to use your car on any track other than a dragstrip, I'd get the SS. Other than that, LT1 without a hesitation.

I would like the SS cluster. Other than that, it handles/stops just fine for what I do and more than enough power to impress the LEO's it seems.

I did go with the tech pack. There wasn't even a question for me on the upgraded stereo.

I didn't listen to the standard radio, so I couldn't give you a comparison.
Old 08-25-2020, 08:11 AM   #23
RyanR623

Drives: SS A8, NPP, Red Hot
Quote:

Greetings fellow Ohioan! If it were me (performance/styling upgrades aside) i would order the SS. It'll hold it's value better and you'll likely make up that $2,000 when you trade it in or sell. Just my 2 cents! Good luck with the purchase and enjoy!
RyanR623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:44 AM   #24
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
SL2 Satin black fascia extension $650
This is a huge rip-off. The EOS ZL1 Refresh style front lip splitter is less and it takes about 30 minutes to install from start to finish. It comes in what they call "Primer Black" which is actually completely unpainted ABS plastic. I did the splitter and the rocker skirts for less than you're planning to spend on the "extension" alone.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 10:29 AM   #25
2 Sweet
Oozing Machismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
This is really a matter of preference and how much you're willing to pay for electronics and convenience items, performance will be comparable from LT1 through 1SS to 2SS (non-1LE). One thing, even though you said you didn't care for fancy interior upgrades, the base gauge cluster on the LT1 is really basic, it's Charger rental territory, perhaps even worse.

I myself went with the 2SS because of all the extras that are useful to me specifically, and also because I will never order a new car, it's a once in a lifetime thing (as it's financial lunacy). Heck, even the 2SS trim isn't exactly overspec'd in today's car world, and I am not planning to flip the car, it's my forever Camaro... so I went with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy82z View Post
I too went back and forth on 1SS or LT1 before settling on the LT1. First off, we also have a 2018 2SS, so I have one with all the bells and whistles already, so knew exactly what I was getting and what I would actually use and not. I also figured this was going to be my last new Camaro, so I wanted something with as few options as possible so I had less things to break down the road as my plan is to keep this one forever. People talk about heated and cooled seats and blind spot monitoring, but unless you are really stepping it up to a 2SS, these are a mute point. I for one was not willing to pay that much extra. To be honest, the only thing my 2SS has that I really wish my LT1 had was the heads up display. I prefer the more subtle look of the LT1 over the SS and honestly, being a new model, it is still pretty rare to see an LT1 and I like that. I found a set of super low mileage 20 SS wheels and tires and swapped those on my LT1 when it had 2 miles. Still have the stock set so if I ever want to drive it when it is cold but dry, I have that set of wheels and tires ready to go. Got a great deal on them so cost was not much at all. Driving my SS and LT1, don't really notice any difference in handling. Ya, the back brakes are smaller (read cheaper to replace when the time comes) and it is missing some coolers, but I never planned on tracking the car, so that was no worry for me. I wanted a fun daily in the summer that did not cost a fortune and still made me excited to get in and drive back and forth to work and the LT1 fit the bill perfectly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 imp View Post
I went w/ the LT1.

Didn't need all the extra track stuff that I'd never use, but would have to haul around and adds to a repair bill.

If you plan to use your car on any track other than a dragstrip, I'd get the SS. Other than that, LT1 without a hesitation.

I would like the SS cluster. Other than that, it handles/stops just fine for what I do and more than enough power to impress the LEO's it seems.

I did go with the tech pack. There wasn't even a question for me on the upgraded stereo.

I didn't listen to the standard radio, so I couldn't give you a comparison.
Well said, guys. I appreciate the input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR623 View Post
Greetings fellow Ohioan! If it were me (performance/styling upgrades aside) i would order the SS. It'll hold it's value better and you'll likely make up that $2,000 when you trade it in or sell. Just my 2 cents! Good luck with the purchase and enjoy!
I'm not too concerned about resale value, because ideally I'll own the car for a decade or two. But maybe that's more reason to go with an SS if I decide to track it eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
This is a huge rip-off. The EOS ZL1 Refresh style front lip splitter is less and it takes about 30 minutes to install from start to finish. It comes in what they call "Primer Black" which is actually completely unpainted ABS plastic. I did the splitter and the rocker skirts for less than you're planning to spend on the "extension" alone.
Wow, you aren't kidding! Thank you for that. I looked it up and it's half the price, free shipping. I don't know how I missed that.
Old 08-25-2020, 10:38 AM   #26
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Wow, you aren't kidding! Thank you for that. I looked it up and it's half the price, free shipping. I don't know how I missed that.
Here's a pic of my car with both the Splitter and the Skirts installed. I did absolutely nothing to the splitter (it comes with 3M adhesive installed) and only installed the skirts with tape (ZERO hardware and it's solid).

The skirts require much more patience and time to install correctly, and you have to buy the 3M adhesive separately. That install project took me more like 90 minutes of total time spread across a couple of days.
Attached Images

Old 08-25-2020, 11:31 AM   #27
2 Sweet
Oozing Machismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Here's a pic of my car with both the Splitter and the Skirts installed. I did absolutely nothing to the splitter (it comes with 3M adhesive installed) and only installed the skirts with tape (ZERO hardware and it's solid).

The skirts require much more patience and time to install correctly, and you have to buy the 3M adhesive separately. That install project took me more like 90 minutes of total time spread across a couple of days.
That looks great! I have absolutely no problem with installing something like that myself, so I'll definitely remove that from my build.

Also, I didn't even realize how expensive the factory rally stripes were compared to aftermarket. Big Worm's stripe kit is less than half of what GM would charge, so that's another option I can remove from my order.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:51 AM   #28
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
That looks great! I have absolutely no problem with installing something like that myself, so I'll definitely remove that from my build.

Also, I didn't even realize how expensive the factory rally stripes were compared to aftermarket. Big Worm's stripe kit is less than half of what GM would charge, so that's another option I can remove from my order.
There are a lot of people here that have had issues with the skirts not being well-molded toward the rear and pulling away from the body when installing with just tape. The kit that I bought was specifically targeted toward 2019+ model years, so I don't know if they changed the body on the car at all (highly doubt it) or if the skirts are molded a bit differently based on newer design (more likely). I also was very particular about the tape that I used and ensured that I was installing with VHB tape specifically designed for automotive use.