Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-24-2020, 12:09 PM   #1
2 Sweet
Oozing Machismo

Drives: '89 IROC-Z
Getting ready to order my Camaro....

At some point in the next few months, I’ll finally be pulling the trigger on a 6th gen Camaro. I should be eligible for the GM employee discount, so I’m going to go brand new and order exactly what I want. Here’s the build I think I’m set on…..

LT1 package, 6-speed manual trans
Crush exterior $395, black cloth interior
White rally stripes $470
RS package (dark tails, fancy headlights, decklid spoiler, etc) $1,495
RQ9 gray/machined split spoke wheels $200
NPP exhaust $995
SL2 Satin black fascia extension $650

It comes in around $39k before discounts, and I understand that’s in the SS price range, but I wouldn’t be getting any of the options that I want if I got a base SS and anything more expensive will be out of my budget. I don’t care about rear Brembos, diff cooler, or wider rear wheels with those junk runflats. I really don’t care for the SS front bumper since the refresh; I honestly think the base/LT1 front end looks better. So in my mind, the LT1 trim is the answer.

Manual trans is an absolute must have. NPP is a must as well. The wheels are definitely worth the $200 upcharge. The splitter is a bit pricey, but I haven’t found a better deal going aftermarket once you factor in shipping, and I think it completes the look on these cars. I think the white rally stripes look great against the orange, so I’m pretty set on those. The only thing I’m not sure about is the RS package, but I’m leaning towards yes on that.

At this point, I’m just trying to decide if there’s any other “bang for the buck” options I’m missing. I plan on keeping this car for a long time, and it might be the only time I ever buy a brand new car special ordered from the factory so I want to get it right. I don’t need Recaros, I don’t want a sunroof, I don’t care about any of the fancy interior upgrades. I think the only option I might miss is the “technology package” with the bigger screen and the upgraded speakers. Are the base speakers really that bad? If the difference between a 7” and 8” radio display really that big of a deal? Anything else I’m missing?

Any opinions, advice, recommendations, or general feedback would be appreciated!
2 Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 01:21 PM   #2
willzilla
D3RPZILLA

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 a10
Looks good... regarding the radio, from what others have said, the 8" screen is a significant improvement.
willzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 01:26 PM   #3
Silent_H_

Drives: '21 V6 1LE
Sounds like a good spec! I think part of the 8" screen is that it also has a higher resolution (and gets you better speakers) so that may be worth considering.
Silent_H_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 01:54 PM   #4
SS 376

Drives: 2010 IBM 1SS (Former)
I see stinger and spider stripe options on Chevy's website. Am I just missing rally stripes?
SS 376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 02:04 PM   #5
2 Sweet
Oozing Machismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 376 View Post
I see stinger and spider stripe options on Chevy's website. Am I just missing rally stripes?
Yep, still an option.....

Old 08-24-2020, 02:06 PM   #6
Staves

Drives: women crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Sweet View Post
At some point in the next few months, I’ll finally be pulling the trigger on a 6th gen Camaro. I should be eligible for the GM employee discount, so I’m going to go brand new and order exactly what I want. Here’s the build I think I’m set on…..

LT1 package, 6-speed manual trans
Crush exterior $395, black cloth interior
White rally stripes $470
RS package (dark tails, fancy headlights, decklid spoiler, etc) $1,495
RQ9 gray/machined split spoke wheels $200
NPP exhaust $995
SL2 Satin black fascia extension $650

It comes in around $39k before discounts, and I understand that’s in the SS price range, but I wouldn’t be getting any of the options that I want if I got a base SS and anything more expensive will be out of my budget. I don’t care about rear Brembos, diff cooler, or wider rear wheels with those junk runflats. I really don’t care for the SS front bumper since the refresh; I honestly think the base/LT1 front end looks better. So in my mind, the LT1 trim is the answer.

Manual trans is an absolute must have. NPP is a must as well. The wheels are definitely worth the $200 upcharge. The splitter is a bit pricey, but I haven’t found a better deal going aftermarket once you factor in shipping, and I think it completes the look on these cars. I think the white rally stripes look great against the orange, so I’m pretty set on those. The only thing I’m not sure about is the RS package, but I’m leaning towards yes on that.

At this point, I’m just trying to decide if there’s any other “bang for the buck” options I’m missing. I plan on keeping this car for a long time, and it might be the only time I ever buy a brand new car special ordered from the factory so I want to get it right. I don’t need Recaros, I don’t want a sunroof, I don’t care about any of the fancy interior upgrades. I think the only option I might miss is the “technology package” with the bigger screen and the upgraded speakers. Are the base speakers really that bad? If the difference between a 7” and 8” radio display really that big of a deal? Anything else I’m missing?

Any opinions, advice, recommendations, or general feedback would be appreciated!
Only thing I would say is spending $39K on a non-SS is nuts. Got my A10 1SS for way less than that. The summer tires that come on the SS are way superior to the all seasons on the LT1 as well.
Old 08-24-2020, 02:17 PM   #7
2 Sweet
Oozing Machismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staves View Post
Only thing I would say is spending $39K on a non-SS is nuts. Got my A10 1SS for way less than that. The summer tires that come on the SS are way superior to the all seasons on the LT1 as well.
The LT1 is 99% of the SS, and I won't be paying anywhere near $39k. I believe it's 15% off MSRP
Old 08-24-2020, 04:28 PM   #8
Michael-k

Drives: '21 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staves View Post
I'm in the same boat as the OP --
"Do you want goodies, or the best engine?"
I wouldn't mind the V8, but I wouldn't be using all of it (won't be racing). So, that's just $$$ wasted.
And, I really wanted the goodies (including sunroof). Also, I'll be adding on some aftermarket stuff. Mine is $37K.
Michael-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 04:44 PM   #9
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
the LT1 is the same v8 as in the SS. The compromise is not the engine, but in certain performance and "standard" options that come with the SS
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 04:51 PM   #10
3.8TransAM

Drives: SS 1LE, 89 TTA, 91 GTA, 91 Formula
If it were me, for the money I would go SS. But I am not you, if you researched your choices and are happy, go for it.

As a side note, I am finding lots of 21 LT1 models already out there or in transit. Might want to hold for a bit and see if u might be able to swing a deal on something in the lot vs. ordering.
3.8TransAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 04:53 PM   #11
indy82z

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS HW Edition, 2020 LT1
My advice is order from Joe. I did (Becky at the time) and Joe delivered it to Columbus for me. Made the whole process super easy!
2018 Camaro SS Hot Wheels Edition #838
indy82z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 05:12 PM   #12
Frankie18SS

Drives: 18 Camaro 2SS, 07 Saturn Ion
Looks good! The one thing I wish I would've known about is the 1LE spec shifter. I believe you can order that to be installed from the dealership (or factory?). It's a very involved process to swap out so I don't want to do it now. I love the stock shift but a little shorter throw is always a good thing. That's the only thing I regret not getting.
Old 08-24-2020, 05:30 PM   #13
2 Sweet
Oozing Machismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy82z View Post
My advice is order from Joe. I did (Becky at the time) and Joe delivered it to Columbus for me. Made the whole process super easy!
Yep, that's exactly the plan
Old 08-24-2020, 05:38 PM   #14
Staves

Drives: women crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael-k View Post
I'm in the same boat as the OP --
"Do you want goodies, or the best engine?"
I wouldn't mind the V8, but I wouldn't be using all of it (won't be racing). So, that's just $$$ wasted.
And, I really wanted the goodies (including sunroof). Also, I'll be adding on some aftermarket stuff. Mine is $37K.
My 1SS only has the "goodies" like summer tires, 275s rear, cooling system and better brakes. And only paid $33K for it brand new. He'll be paying more than that probably and getting less.
If I was picking up an LT1 for $30K or something than hell yeah.