Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-14-2009, 12:06 AM   #29
WhiteCrane

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Send a message via AIM to WhiteCrane Send a message via Skype™ to WhiteCrane
I am in the same boat as the poster...

I don't care about the insurance, as I work for GEICO. But the difference in fuel costs honestly frighten me considerably!

0-60 in 6 seconds is MUCH faster than I'd assume a v6 to be but, I don't wanna get spanked by every 350z, and Mustang GT on the road...

Heh, the 350z is startin to look pretty good with its 29 mpg.
WhiteCrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:11 AM   #30
SpeedDemon

Drives: 2002 ZTS Silver Focus
Lets face it, Logically it would be better and wiser to get the V6. Fuel cost saver, Cheaper insurance, lower base cost for basically for the most part the same car.
I mean, come on, realistically, how much street racing is anyone really going to be doing???
its not like you will be out their every night racing every car in sight. It would just be the occasional car if at all......and come on, lets look at facts, does it really make any sense at all to spend 5-7k more just to go 1 second faster??? who are you trying to impress??? a paultry few seconds of fame??lol.

OK

Now, for the V8 pros, Resale value! resale value down the road will be much better saying you have a V8 in the car than a V6. lets face it, the few extra base grand for the V8 will sell itself. Just for that extra horsepower you have in it!
Of course, this is all providing gas prices are not through the rough in say 10-20 years.......then you wont be able to get crap money for the V8,

But if you just HAVE TO HAVE that mis-guided ego boost of the V8, dont get anything less you would just be wasting your time, but if you are looking at this from a practical standpoint, get the v6 with the bells and whistles, after all, most of your time is going to be inside driving it around following the rules of the road not going 100+mph every chance you get......lets be realistic and cut all the dumb hype here people.......so you might as well enjoy the bells and whistle and have the leather seats and whatever other mis-guided creature superfical comforts some people cant live without.

It all comes down to personal taste.
SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:49 AM   #31
MadMaxx
Master of the V6

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS
I've been around high HP stuff all my life, yet I chose the 6. To me, I wanted a *smooth*, technologically advanced 6 that I could literally drive anywhere. It's my daily driver. so the 6 fit the bill perfectly. To me, having some romper stomper is lots of fun - but only if you can get out and drive it (on the weekends for most). 426hp does you lots of good sitting in city traffic :/ I can get in the 6, instantly be on my way and still enjoy being able to get on the highway at a rapid pace. I'd also not hesistate to turn my sister/mother/wife loose in it at any point.

From a design standpoint, prefer the cleaner lines of the LS/LT than the SS model. Had there been a V8 in a stripper chassis avail, it would have been a harder selling point
MadMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:00 AM   #32
BlackRaptor

Drives: 08 GMC Sierra, 07 G6 GT
Fuel is my biggest concern with going with the V8.
insurrance isn't terrible. I think what will be my deciding factor is if the V8 comes in at a cost where I could swing it but with insurance gas and everything it's going to be a huge burden than I'll go with a loaded out V6.
the V6 MPG i really like. It would be nice to take it on small road trips.
I'm still wondering if a fully broke in V8 can get better MPG than they claim on paper if you baby it.
I'll have mine before this happens but i wonder what the LS3 with 10K miles will be getter if running down a flat road in it's sweet spot.

My G6 GT on paper says 28mpg highway. I've gotten 34.5 many many times on road trips with it. and I have no problem getting 28 as an average with it. which has a lot to do with driving habbits.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:06 AM   #33
camaro67
Account Suspended

Drives: marina blue 67
whats a mouse motor , rat motor ,elephant,motor.
camaro67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:15 AM   #34
Hoddi
Camaro Girl ~

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Simple.....
Get what you can afford.
Hoddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:22 AM   #35
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by white light View Post
OK so I've been obsessing over this car for 3 years now. I've always had a deep Camaro love ever since I can remember. My dad has a 67 rs/ss and at the car shows I was the tire guy . I sold my 1995 camaro and thought I was going to put the money down on one of these babbies but do to some very bad stock advise I lost nealry all of it . So I'm talking to my wife (who is the boss LOL) and she proceeds to tell me that if I sell my car and not lose money and get rid of my iPhone, that we might be able to get a camaro. I told her "we can't afford a 38K car and she says "no I mean the cheaper on". So here is the question. Is it worth buying the LT? I really want the 2ss/rs but lets be realistic I don't have 38k sitting around. so what do you guys think? is the LT worth the buy>
If money is the issue, then you have no choice. The LT is certainly NOT a waste of money, in any sense of the word. Unless you're willing to save up for a couple years and "go for the gold"...go buy the V6. You won't be dissapointed.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:48 PM   #36
FordDave

Drives: 2010 Mustang V6 Pony
V6 is cheaper, has better fuel economy, styling differences, and still uber-HP in contrast to the competition.

The V8 is more expensive, worse fuel economy, styling differences, and best-in-class HP performance.

I would suggest the V8 if it was a second car; if you only drive it non-winter; if you can afford future potential fuel price spikes (to be expected, inflation is right around the corner...) without concern; and if you can afford the extra ~$10k. If you're planning on taking this to a drag strip or race, of course the SS is the way to go.

The V8 is a dream car for many. But it's probably not the best daily driver decision.

Let me put it to you this way... my 2010 V6 mustang is relatively weak power wise, but *no one* has asked me 'why didn't you get the V8/GT'? Even mustang drivers who know better. its more about the 'wow! that's the new mustang!' -- you will get this x10 more with the new Camaro since its a whole new body after a long incubation period. I suspect everything you *want* out of a new Camaro, you can get from the V6.

Whatever you choose, enjoy the car!
FordDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:07 PM   #37
HEMI DAVE

Drives: 2016 Z06, 2015 Hellcat Challenger,
I think the V6 has a better looking front fascia than the 1ss/2ss...but thats just me.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:09 PM   #38
L454S
X-Wrench

Drives: 2005 Corvette
Fuel

Guys, remember, this debate is going on now when gas is a little over $2. If some yahoo blows himself and an oil tanker up tomorrow, we could SOON be back at $4 or $5 a gallon. Just wondering how these discussions might change...........

My vette gets 29 MPG, I think I might choose the V6 because of the performance/mileage package. It is still a new Camaro........The looks between the two are just not that big a deal to me.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:26 PM   #39
sixstrings

Drives: 2016 Mustang GT PP
Or maybe you can save for awhile and get what you really want... what ever that is. That is kinda what I am doing right now... sucks cause I want one right away... but I will be happier in the long run if I wait and get my 2SS/RS....
sixstrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:25 PM   #40
Stylish
Stylish

Drives: None, Camaro very soon!
I like V8 sound

1 SS base is not bad at all

2SS.
Black on Black.
RS Package.
Sun roof.
6 speed Auto with tap shift.

Stylish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:52 PM   #41
MTron

Drives: 99 Grand Prix
Wait a year or so, and get a used one, or when the 2011's come out pick up a 2010....if you cant get what will make you happy now, then wait, getting something you will never truly be happy with is just a waste imho.

This is exactly what i'm doing 'cuz i dont have the money right now
MTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:28 PM   #42
white light

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I went with the v-6 1lt with Rs package, bluetooth and boston audio package. I plan on leasing this car for 4 years this way when thats over I'll be able to buy the real car I want (2ss/rs)
white light is offline   Reply With Quote