Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 01-24-2024, 11:35 AM   #1
Kelevra

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro
Is the LTG really a weak engine?

Hi, so I've been reading about this engine and right now I have mixed feelings about it, my goal was to mod my Camaro and hopefully get it around 300 - 350 hp to the wheels just because I want something "unique" without having to spend V8 money, but while I've seen some say that the engine can hold up up to 400hp on stock internals I've also seen some other say that a simple tune can cause the engine to blow up, so I'm really hesitant on doing anything at this point.

I have a couple of questions for you guys with more experience and knowledge about this engine with the hope to get a better understanding about the situation I'm on right now.

How reliable is this engine in stock form? So far I've had no major problems other than replacing my wastegate valve but I've also read from other people that this engine is a headache to work with.

How much HP can this engine really handle on stock internals? (I do plan on getting forged internals at some point but I'm curious about how far it can be pushed before having to do so)

What questions should I ask my tuner to know he can do the job? I already got in touch with a very reputable tuner in my zone, but I don't think he has any experience with this particular engine.

Lastly, is my goal even achievable? The reason I went with the 4banger was because in my country only 6th Gen 2.0s came in manual and people were saying that with a few bolts on they were getting respectable numbers (~300hp to the wheels), but if I'm going to spend the difference in price of a 6th Gen V8 I don't think it's worth it, so be real with me.

Thanks in advance.
Kelevra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 06:14 PM   #2
Chris Durant

Drives: 2023 Vivid Orange Camaro 1LT
From everything I have watched and read, its pretty safe up to 350HP unless your going to intentionally abuse it.
Chris Durant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 08:26 PM   #3
MagnumMaro

Drives: 2023 Chevy Camaro
not so much the 4turbo engine, more so the trans (auto) as its slow/delayed and mushy throttle response (on all engines) - a throttle controller will fix that, and once the trans is in "performance mode" it wakes up. adding a tune w/bolt on's will enhance it all.
MagnumMaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 08:36 AM   #4
turbojeep95

Drives: 17 Camaro lt, 22 Camaro LT1
I loved my 2.0t but your pretty much capped out at 300-350hp unless you wanna spend a bunch and build a motor. Its drives way lighter and is spunkier than my v8 and is a blast to drive tuned. Also, it's super easy to work on since the engine bay is designed to fit a v8.
There's some really talented tuners on this forum that can make big power on this platform but just read the facebook groups and it seems like every other post is "why is my engine making this noise". I'd even go as far to say they blow more than suburu engines. Just run good quality oil and don't run crappy gas in it and you'll get a good amount of time out of a mildly tuned LTG. Also, a catch can and avoid heavy throttle imputs below 3k rpm. Noting that you need to do all this to take care of it should answer your question.

As far as tuners go this platform can be pretty hostile. I went through 3 before my car started running right and even then he refused to push it beyond 300rwhp on the dyno because of the reputation these motors have. Getting information on who to use for tuning normally results in a big argument but the big names are ZZP, Vermont, Cooper, and BNR.
turbojeep95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 04:24 PM   #5
302crossram

Drives: 2023 Sharkskin 2SS
look at the power numbers the 24 ZR2 Colorado
302crossram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 10:38 PM   #6
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 302crossram View Post
look at the power numbers the 24 ZR2 Colorado
I'd be an interesting powerplant in the Camaro for sure...especially if pushed a little more than stock. It's not crazy fast, because the truck is so heavy, but it is very torque-rich, very linear/flat for torque too. Given the lighter chassis, it should go pretty well. It wouldn't be super quick, but it'd be pretty damn quick up to a point for sure.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote