Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-24-2020, 12:16 PM   #15
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
I had my local dealer change my oil at almost 500 miles and then 2000 miles(800km and then 3200km). Depending on the car, you may or may not have some metal bits leftover from breaking in. I noticed some metal bits on the dipstick after the 500-mile oil change, hence my other 2000-mile oil change. It helps that in Canada we get 4 free oil changes versus the 2 in the US, so I still have 2 more to spare.

Planning to do my diff this weekend.
One service visit included, available during first year of ownership only.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 12:21 PM   #16
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:

There is also the Track Prep Manual to look at... That's the one where they recommended the 500-mile oil change.
Yes! That's the one, found this on the net as I cannot go look at mine now....didn't see the diff fluid @ 1500 but sure I saw that somewhere too....
Attached Images

Nothing like an SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 12:33 PM   #17
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Interesting point.

Any 2SS owners out there get a Performance Supplement with their cars?
I'll have to look when I get home but I don't think I got one...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 12:57 PM   #18
Zababadoo

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS
Thanks everyone! I’m just gonna do it myself until the “dealer” intervals and then I’ll pay them to do it so they can say it’s done by them when it’s supposed to be as far as fluids and filters I’ll still use all factory recommendations on that it’s really no problem there.

My 2020 2SS did come with that performance owners manual and that’s correct it does say change all fluids after the break in. That’s what sparked all this and then the dealership acted like I was crazy for bringing it up so it just struck me as odd.
Zababadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 01:07 PM   #19
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zababadoo View Post
Thanks everyone! I’m just gonna do it myself until the “dealer” intervals and then I’ll pay them to do it so they can say it’s done by them when it’s supposed to be as far as fluids and filters I’ll still use all factory recommendations on that it’s really no problem there.

My 2020 2SS did come with that performance owners manual and that’s correct it does say change all fluids after the break in. That’s what sparked all this and then the dealership acted like I was crazy for bringing it up so it just struck me as odd.
I have heard of dealers who refuse to change oil unless your oil life indicator is less than 20% percent remaining.
When I took mine in for oil change around 500 miles, my counter was reading 82% remaining, dealer didn't even blink, just changed it, no questions.

It all depends on the dealer, some are easier to work with than others. Makes me wonder why they would care? They get paid either way, so if someone wants to change it every 2 months they should be like "Sure, no problem" even if it's a crazy thing to do.

No idea why some dealerships act this way....makes no sense!
Old 06-24-2020, 01:15 PM   #20
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing like an SS View Post
I have heard of dealers who refuse to change oil unless your oil life indicator is less than 20% percent remaining.
When I took mine in for oil change around 500 miles, my counter was reading 82% remaining, dealer didn't even blink, just changed it, no questions.

It all depends on the dealer, some are easier to work with than others. Makes me wonder why they would care? They get paid either way, so if someone wants to change it every 2 months they should be like "Sure, no problem" even if it's a crazy thing to do.

They have no basis to refuse providing service. Period. If wanted to drive the car out one driveway and back in to the other and ask for another oil change, there is absolutely nothing preventing them from doing it.

The included service visits track the mileage and such when the maintenance is performed, but there is no list of requirements for GM to reimburse the dealership for performing the service. And no dealership in the world would say no if the customer were footing the bill.

If any dealership were to throw that at me, I would walk out to the showroom and ask to speak with the General Manager. I would calmly explain to him that I will, unfortunately, no longer be bringing my vehicle to their Service Department because of their baseless policies on whether or not they will provide included services that I have essentially paid for by purchasing the vehicle. And, as an offshoot, I will no longer shop their lot for new purchases since I won't be able to leverage the Service Department.

Thank him (or her) for their time and be on my way. I would not accompany them to their office or the Service Department for a further discussion. I would politely ask that they simply ask the Service Department what happened and mention that I would bring this up with GM directly, most likely THROUGH the dealership I would be taking my car to in the future.

Dealerships are a commodity item. Period. They need us WAY more than we need them.
Old 06-24-2020, 01:22 PM   #21
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post

Dealerships are a commodity item. Period. They need us WAY more than we need them.
Exactly! That sums it all up right there! Too bad most dealers haven't figured this out.

I have no issues at all where I go, but I hear these kinds of stories all the time and I just don't get it. Almost like they wish to turn down $$$$, whatever......
Old 06-24-2020, 01:37 PM   #22
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Exactly! That sums it all up right there! Too bad most dealers haven't figured this out.

I have no issues at all where I go, but I hear these kinds of stories all the time and I just don't get it. Almost like they wish to turn down $$$$, whatever......
I have never personally experienced that particular issue but I would have no issue with dealing with it.

I -did- have a bad experience with the Sales department, on three separate occasions and items, of a specific dealership and I walked and left them hanging on a two-vehicle deal. They believed they were going to get me to buy two vehicles from them even though neither was exactly what I wanted. They wouldn't budge on prices because they thought they had me over a barrel.

I walked in and dropped off a $25 Visa Gift Card for the salesman that I had been working with and said "I appreciate all of the time and effort you had put in up to this point. Unfortunately, because of others here at the dealership, I won't be moving forward with the purchases we had been talking about and didn't feel it was right that you would lose out because of their actions. Enjoy, and I hope you understand that this came about because of how others felt they could treat me."
Old 06-24-2020, 02:25 PM   #23
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:

Same here, mine were done with no questions asked.

I mean, it's fine for them to give you advice as a nice gesture, but if a customer insists on getting it done, I don't see why they would refuse the money thrown at their way.

That's also not mentioning that the manual tells you to ignore the OLM and change oil based on track hours if you go tracking, so some Camaro owners could need an oil change even if the OLM has plenty of percentages left. Just sounds like a dumb practice.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 02:59 AM   #24
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
That's also not mentioning that the manual tells you to ignore the OLM and change oil based on track hours if you go tracking, so some Camaro owners could need an oil change even if the OLM has plenty of percentages left. Just sounds like a dumb practice.
The 2017 manual said to change the oil after 4 track hours but this was removed from the 2018 manual. Did they add it back to the 2019 manual? I am curious if they reprogrammed the OLM between 2017 and 2018 model years or not.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 07:37 PM   #25
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
Dealers don't make diddly on fluid changes their lowest paid monkey's are in the pits doing that. Real mechanics that they're paying $$$ aren't going to be wasted doing fluids either. the cost/benefit/return for them is extremely low.
Just an opinion.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 08:24 PM   #26
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnAY View Post
Dealers don't make diddly on fluid changes their lowest paid monkey's are in the pits doing that. Real mechanics that they're paying $$$ aren't going to be wasted doing fluids either. the cost/benefit/return for them is extremely low.
Just an opinion.
That's called a "loss leader". Ask Sam Walton about them - I bet he has some great things he could tell you as to how well they work.

There isn't a single business on the PLANET that offers more than one product or service that doesn't have to be mindful of what sells at very low (or even negative) margin. Making little to no money on an oil change won't keep them in business. They are basically getting you to reimburse them for the tech's time to look for other things that your vehicle needs in the way of repairs or maintenance.
Old 06-25-2020, 09:00 PM   #27
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
I'll have to look when I get home but I don't think I got one...
Even if you didn't receive a printed version, you can always download it from your account, see below.

Being an amateur who still wanted great performance and longevity for the new car, I went with a high performance break-in process recommended by many (early ring seating under load, first oil change after 500 miles, second oil change and diff fluid change at around 1500 miles, further oil changes after each ~3000 mile mark). The transmission is an additional story, you don't need to deal with that given you have the A10.

The car is powerful, oil consumption is practically zero and there is no diff groan either. YMMV.
Attached Images

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 09:49 PM   #28
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Even if you didn't receive a printed version, you can always download it from your account, see below.

Being an amateur who still wanted great performance and longevity for the new car, I went with a high performance break-in process recommended by many (early ring seating under load, first oil change after 500 miles, second oil change and diff fluid change at around 1500 miles, further oil changes after each ~3000 mile mark). The transmission is an additional story, you don't need to deal with that given you have the A10.

The car is powerful, oil consumption is practically zero and there is no diff groan either. YMMV.
Thanks!

I'm following exactly what you are doing with your car as far as break in and fluid changes... My 2020 2SS has 1750 miles, runs great, users no oil and is strong!
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote