Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-11-2019, 10:07 PM   #29
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
a lot of BS in this thread...the 2017 & 18 DOT stamped tires are perfect. Even the earlier ones are fine for street driving. On track, I doubt many here could feel any real differences between brand new & 2 year old tires. Because of Tire Rack's climate controlled facility, these tires are going to perform flawlessly without a doubt.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:28 PM   #30
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Sure wish I had real life comparison of the PS4's to these...been struggling between those & the OEM's. Good deal, is there a special link to the close outs??
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:33 PM   #31
yotaman96

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS1LE 2000 Trans Am WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
Sure wish I had real life comparison of the PS4's to these...been struggling between those & the OEM's. Good deal, is there a special link to the close outs??
They're sold out.
2015 Ram Crew Cab Cummins
yotaman96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 01:43 PM   #32
WayneE

Drives: ZL1 A10
Quote:

Isn't the SC3 closer to the PS Cup2 than the PS4?

I ran the PS4 on my CTS-V wagon, and while they were a great street tire, these SC3s on my ZL1 feel much stickier than the PS4. I considered the PS4 as a replacement when I wear out the SC3, since I do not plan to track my convertible.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:26 PM   #33
gotswap

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Crush
the PS4 and SC3 are a completely different class of tire. SC3>PS4 on the track and overall grip
gotswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 05:47 PM   #34
Artos

Wayne, I think for you the PS4 makes way more sense over the SC3 due to being in MD & no track days!!

I guess I maybe start another thread & maybe will when it comes time for new rubber as I do have some miles left on the oem's at 5500mi. My rears are a little more worn than the front but still not quite to the indicator marks.

Anyway, for me personally keep in mind I live in a very hot climate & do not take my car out in wet or cold weather (for deep south tx cold anyway) the oem's are scary & do not hook up even when it's warm out until the tires themselves are pretty toasty. I have no experience with any other tire than the oem.

I keep hearing the PS4 is a better tire for the street in regards to hooking up better, but not sure it's the better tire for me & my particular application / location. I understand it is not near the same tire for the track & one of the main reasons I'm leaning towards staying with the OEM even though I may only hit the track once a year due to logistics & time.

I guess my question would be geared towards is for those that live in warm climates, is the PS4 a better tire (forget about cold or rain & even wear ratings) for mexico spirited driving / roll racing when 80% of the time I will have a pretty warm blacktop & can get tires up to temp quickly?? I think most of the folks suggesting the PS4 do not deal living with temps in the 90-100 plus degree range for months at a time and understand their bias. If the PS4 is still a better tire in warm weather for digs & rolls in hot climates, I'll get them...if they are equal to the OEM's in that regard, then I will stay with the SC3 just in case of track days.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:50 PM   #35
Homeless Junkie

Drives: around in circles few days a month
Quote:
I bought a set Pilot Sport 4s for my Apexi wheels. The PS4's ride way better than the 3Rs. The Michelins make the 1LE much more comfortable on the street. Around the track they sing when pushed hard where the 3Rs are silent. I run the Good Years on my stock wheels for track duty. The 3Rs are better on the track but, as you already know, give you a beatdown on the street.

I would say buy the PS4s if you're going to run the car mostly on the street. If you're looking for every second on the track get two sets of wheels. that or endure the Super Car 3R's rough ride.
Homeless Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:09 PM   #36
slythetove

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Sure wish I had real life comparison of the PS4's to these...been struggling between those & the OEM's.
For the street get the Michelins. You'll feel much more confidence in the ride immediately. Don't even get me started about rain where I can actually use the throttle now.

Track - no idea but on the street PS4s are superior in every way.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:53 PM   #37
Artos

Thank you gents, The rough ride doesn't concern me...I'm lucky to jump in the Z once a week & brings nothing but joy. If you guys can say the PS4's lock up better on the street (again, forget about conditions other than prime warm / dry weather) then that's what I will get.

If this is the case, when I go to the track I'll either change them out or get another whole set ready to go...just figure if the SC3's & PS4's were identical in very warm climate, then I would stick with the OEM's. If the PS4's are a better biter all the way around for the street, then that is what I want at any price point. I don't put enough miles to be concerned about the $$$$ vs improved street performance.

I'm hoping to install the BMR lockout kit & upper / lower trailing arms next week to get rid / minimize the fishtail problem & improve any wheel hop...if the PS4's add any improved grab on the street, then they will be my next set. No issues getting dedicated track rubber, just didn't want to be redundant around town.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:10 PM   #38
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
PS4S’s are considered a far superior wet tire on the street, but generally not better for dry track/strip performance.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:09 PM   #39
Artos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
PS4S’s are considered a far superior wet tire on the street, but generally not better for dry track/strip performance.
This is exactly my concern...thank you. If there is no performance gain for dry / warm weather street performance, then for my particular needs it just makes sense to stay with the SC3's

I totally understand the PS4 is the superior tire for the daily driver that endures cooler & wet pavement. My interest is solely if this tire will give me better performance for dry / warm spirited driving on street over the SC3. Appreciate the responses & will likely address at a later date in it's own thread where it will get more views since I'm sure many with hands on experience are not seeing.

Thanks again.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:15 AM   #40
philpacs

Drives: Camaro ZL1 A10
I ordered the fronts. They said they are not being closed out due to DOT regulations or them being old but because they are being discontinued.
philpacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 02:41 PM   #41
5senna5

Drives: 2020 2SS 1LE
Crazy price!

Last edited by 5senna5; 08-09-2019 at 09:32 PM.
5senna5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 02:46 PM   #42
5senna5

Drives: 2020 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrio Andretti View Post
No UV light no issues.
UV breaks them down for sure, but Ozone gas also breaks down vulcanized rubber and is produced by electric motors. Leaving them long term next to an often running one, like a fridge in a garage, can accelerate degradation.
5senna5 is offline   Reply With Quote