#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 05-11-2016, 10:30 AM   #15
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Sure, Ford and GM codeveloped the 9 and 10 speeds. Ford took the 10 and GM the 9. That isn't a knock against either company.
Yep I knew the point you were making, just wanted it to be extra clear for those who haven't been following these projects. IMO it's one of the smartest moves I've seen between automakers in awhile.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:33 AM   #16
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
Yep I knew the point you were making, just wanted it to be extra clear for those who haven't been following these projects. IMO it's one of the smartest moves I've seen between automakers in awhile.
This was a good plan. Both benefit tremendously from this and it helps us out as the consumer, but people shouldn't pretend this is a GM transmission. My understanding is Ford did the engineering on the 10 speed, but GM developed their own electronics and controls. GM did the engineering on the 9 speed, and Ford is developing their own electronics and controls.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:42 AM   #17
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post

Co-developed. This is not a "Ford" transmission, any more than it is a "GM" transmission.

And each company developed their own controller software/tuning/programming for the transmissions.
Yet you read the press releases and it sure seems like a fully inhouse built by GM trans lol.

Either way I think it is fantastic that they worked together on this.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:44 AM   #18
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Another article. http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...a-mustang-too/
More. http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...-transmission/
Old 05-11-2016, 10:46 AM   #19
SuperSound

Quote:
This was a good plan. Both benefit tremendously from this and it helps us out as the consumer, but people shouldn't pretend this is a GM transmission. My understanding is Ford did the engineering on the 10 speed, but GM developed their own electronics and controls. GM did the engineering on the 9 speed, and Ford is developing their own electronics and controls.
My understanding is Ford did not have any designs for a 6+ speed trans at the time of the agreement. GM had the 8 speed already (maybe not in production). So GM gave them plans for the 8 speed which gave Ford the knowledge needed to go to the next step (10 speed). Ford pays for the development of the 9 speed and GM gets the 10 speed for the shared technology. Both save on development costs since it would have been too expensive to develop both transmissions to be ready before 2018. We may never know the exact details of the deal, but regardless neither would have a 10 speed at this point without the other.

Old 05-11-2016, 11:02 AM   #20
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
No, the engineering was shared across the board, except for the electronics and controls. As it was explained to me at the ZL1 reveal, Ford and GM did the core engineering together on the 10 speed (that was the point of our conversation at the time), and then went their separate ways to refine and apply the units.

It's good that the packaging remained about the same as the 8-speed, because this means GM can turn it into a rear-transaxle piece for Stingray...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Yet you read the press releases and it sure seems like a fully inhouse built by GM trans lol.

Either way I think it is fantastic that they worked together on this.
How would you phrase it?

Old 05-11-2016, 11:13 AM   #21
thebiglubinsky

Drives: Infiniti G37S
Since they didn't mention the downshift speeds, could that mean it's slower to downshift then the PDK? Hopefully not...
thebiglubinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:16 AM   #22
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
No, the engineering was shared across the board, except for the electronics and controls. As it was explained to me at the ZL1 reveal, Ford and GM did the core engineering together on the 10 speed (that was the point of our conversation at the time), and then went their separate ways to refine and apply the units.

It's good that the packaging remained about the same as the 8-speed, because this means GM can turn it into a rear-transaxle piece for Stingray...

How would you phrase it?
Me personally I would have called it like it is, that it was Co-Developed but thats just me lol.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:25 AM   #23
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Me personally I would have called it like it is, that it was Co-Developed but thats just me lol.
I'll bet both Ford and GM agreed on what terms to market these components. And as much as they benefitted from the collaboration...I doubt they want each others' names in their own press releases.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:36 AM   #24
SuperSound

Quote:
I'll bet both Ford and GM agreed on what terms to market these components. And as much as they benefitted from the collaboration...I doubt they want each others' names in their own press releases.
That's the truth.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Old 05-11-2016, 11:41 AM   #25
Mr. Wyndham

Also...I want to point out for those reading and watching....when you hit the paddle for an upshift...it really does "Bang" like Aaron said in the facebook video.

They tuned the engine to cut spark momentarily as the transmission shifts, so you get a loud backfire on every upshift under WOT. And man-o-man is it loud.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:22 PM   #26
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
This is a pretty amazing unit...I love it. Can't wait to read more about driver's thoughts of it.

I love the 8 speed in my SS, and this just seems even better. I think the 8 speed is pretty damn quick as is. Sure...if you are cruising leisurely around town and use the paddles, the shifts are just OK...nothing special. But get that sucker warmed up, and then go hard on the throttle and up shift....its super quick. (and the upshift sound is also pretty awesome since it basically kind of backfires on purpose with each shift)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebiglubinsky View Post
Since they didn't mention the downshift speeds, could that mean it's slower to downshift then the PDK? Hopefully not...
I am sure its slower on the downshift. Like the 8 speed, the upshift under WOT is faster than the downshifts, not that I'd exactly call them slow either.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:23 PM   #27
Lucely Engineered

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6
This is not the first transmission that was a joint venture between Ford and GM. The 6F and 6t Transmissions were as well. I wont get into the 10 and 9 speed since not everything is released to public.

*As these views are mine and not that of GM corporate.*
Old 05-11-2016, 07:54 PM   #28
mjw930

Drives: 2015 Porsche BGTS, 2016 2SS
I'd hesitate taking the "it's faster than a PDK" rhetoric to heart until these get on the road. They produced the same numbers and made the same claim on the A8 but neglected to add that it only achieves those numbers in auto mode under WOT acceleration.

If you've owned / driven a PDK and an SS or C7 with the A8 it becomes painfully clear that in normal street operation the A8 responds much more like a typical GM auto than a true dual clutch. It's all in the programming, perhaps they decided to forget trying to make the off throttle shifts feel like a luxury car and keep the hard edge feel, at least when you switch over to manual mode.
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote