Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-25-2017, 09:35 AM   #1
Nate76

Drives: 2022 2SS Convertible
SS hood raised

My car has had the hood slightly raised on the front over the nose of the vehicle on the drivers side. It has bee like this since the day I drove it off the lot, new. Two dealerships have tried to level it out with no luck. So I thought I'd just live it. The problem is that the raised front catches rocks and keeps getting stone chips. I've filled in two deep chips from rocks that went right down to the steel. I feel that if the hood had been level the stone wouldn't have caught on the front of the hood and the aerodynamics of the vehicle would have caused the stone to "flow over" the hood not causing the damage. Wondering if anyone else had this issue or a fix. Or maybe it's an imperfection that I just need to deal with. But the only place I'm getting stone chips on my car is the front portion of my hood that is raised over the nose. Comments??? Not sure why the pic is upside down.
Attached Images

Nate76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 01:43 PM   #2
Stewart

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS & Ground effects
Hood adjustment

Fixed the picture
Attached Images

MY BUILD LINK: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=484260
Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 01:49 PM   #3
Stewart

Hood adjustment

Nate, Mine was similar after I had to get the nose repainted. There are 2 adjusting screws that are on the plate that the latch goes through. I adjusted them until the hood was even. Not sure if this will fix your problem but I hope it does. See the picture I included, the screws circle in green are the ones that I am talking about. (That picture is from my DIY for installing accent lights behind the grille http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=475942 )
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2017, 01:51 PM   #4
Stewart

There are also "bumper posts" on both front corners of the nose under the hood. Check to see if the one is holding the corner of the hood up.

Old 02-25-2017, 05:31 PM   #5
Talladega

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Try a body shop rather than a dealership. They will have more experience with adjusting body panels.
Talladega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 06:50 PM   #6
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
Nate, Mine was similar after I had to get the nose repainted. There are 2 adjusting screws that are on the plate that the latch goes through. I adjusted them until the hood was even. Not sure if this will fix your problem but I hope it does. See the picture I included, the screws circle in green are the ones that I am talking about. (That picture is from my DIY for installing accent lights behind the grille http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=475942 )
Are the green circles bolts the ones you used to adjust? My moms car has a hood that is off a little and her birthday is coming up so it'd be nice to do that for her
Old 02-25-2017, 06:53 PM   #7
91Zman

Drives: '13 1SS/RS IOM white stripes
Quote:
There are also "bumper posts" on both front corners of the nose under the hood. Check to see if the one is holding the corner of the hood up.
Yeah,try this.I had the same problem until I saw that one of the bump posts was unscrewed higher than the other ones....I just screwed it back down.
91Zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 08:21 PM   #8
Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_SS View Post
Are the green circles bolts the ones you used to adjust? My moms car has a hood that is off a little and her birthday is coming up so it'd be nice to do that for her
Yes they either screw in or out which raises or lowers the panel in which rises or lowers the front of the hood. Hope that makes sense.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:38 AM   #9
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
Quote:
Yes they either screw in or out which raises or lowers the panel in which rises or lowers the front of the hood. Hope that makes sense.
I think I understand
Old 02-26-2017, 08:04 AM   #10
LoneCynic

Drives: 2015 BVM 1SS/1LE
Yes, the photo provided shows exactly what can be adjusted to correct the hood being uneven. When I replaced my front bowtie with the Sparks SS emblem, I took that entire plate off to be able to get my hands in there behind the grille and thread the nuts on to hold the new emblem in place. When I put it all back together, it didn't line up perfectly straight anymore. I kept adjusting things on that plate for the next half hour or so, until my hood sat evenly again at the front. It ended up with the hood actually closing ever-so-slightly below the edge of the facia. Not in any drastic way, but just enough that if I run my hand over it, the facia is just barely higher. I decided to just leave it like that because my car is a 1LE car and has the vinyl hood wrap. Figured that might protect the front edge a bit better than if it was slightly higher than the facia, which could lead to the issue the OP was having.

Anyway, info provided is correct, that plate and its set bolts are how you adjust that problem. Good luck, and don't get frustrated, keep making small adjustments one way or the other until you get it just right.
LoneCynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 04:48 PM   #11
Nate76

Drives: 2022 2SS Convertible
Thanks for the insight guys. What you suggested is what they said they did at the dealership. And what's in the picture was as low as they could go. It's almost as if there's a warp or bend in that part of the hood. Maybe I'll fiddle with it more myself.
Nate76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:29 PM   #12
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate76 View Post
Thanks for the insight guys. What you suggested is what they said they did at the dealership. And what's in the picture was as low as they could go. It's almost as if there's a warp or bend in that part of the hood. Maybe I'll fiddle with it more myself.
Before you do anything have a look at the gaps between your hood and fenders and the the hood and front facia.If the gaps and not the same your hood needs aligned.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hood, raised