Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 02-14-2015, 05:35 PM   #225
fradaj

Drives: RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFTA View Post
a little more...

I would imagine the driving lights will light up like that as well.
fradaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:52 PM   #226
94turbolsx

Drives: 2001 Camaro SS
Quote:
Correct, in most cases. That's how the drls in the 14-15 rs cars work. If you were to look inside one of those headlights, you'd see three wire leading to the circuit board controlling the leds. In this case, the ballast visible is an LED ballast which powers the drl strip. It only functions with a single 12v source and one ground. That doesn't really allow for a switching of the brightness. Now perhaps feeding the 12v terminal with say 6 volts would result in a less bright setting. However if that is the case, it is controlled elsewhere in the car, not in the headlights.
The BCM will alter the supplied voltage for dimming for headlights as well as turn it on/off when turn signals are on ect. You can do all that through 1 supply wire and 1 ground. Or there could be 2 supply wires and the ground for the drl strip is piggybacked into another ground circuit within the harness that is inside the headlamp.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:01 PM   #227
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
The yellow car is not even close to the work Chazcron has done. Look at the door glass and quarter glass. Not close to the prototypes or Chazcron's renderings. Looks like a Mustang. The everything about the yellow car is simply a modified Gen 5. Look at the rear quarter panel. Again not even close.

Sorry, not sure what you are seeing in the yellow car that resembles the prototypes or Chazcron's work.
All I have been talking about and you also have mentioned in this thread was the front fascia and the headlights
Old 02-15-2015, 08:16 PM   #228
CFTA

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94turbolsx View Post
Or there could be 2 supply wires and the ground for the drl strip is piggybacked into another ground circuit within the harness that is inside the headlamp.
There is only one 12v supply going to the DRL circuit inside the headlight, not 2.
Two wires from the main connector run directly to the ballast(1 power, 1 ground) and then a few wires run from there to the LED boards.
Nothing else goes back to the car wiring.

Not sure if altering voltage to the actual LED DRL Ballast is possible, since it may not even turn on with lower voltage.
CFTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 10:00 PM   #229
94turbolsx

Drives: 2001 Camaro SS
Quote:
There is only one 12v supply going to the DRL circuit inside the headlight, not 2.
Two wires from the main connector run directly to the ballast(1 power, 1 ground) and then a few wires run from there to the LED boards.
Nothing else goes back to the car wiring.

Not sure if altering voltage to the actual LED DRL Ballast is possible, since it may not even turn on with lower voltage.
I am just taking stabs here from knowledge of electronics and the way other OEM's control the DRL's. No way to really know without knowledge of the internal wire harness. Who knows whats under the ballast, most of the time that is where the main connector for the ballast is for the wires that go to the inside of the lamp. They typically don't just mount to the lamp housing, they plug into and then retained with screws.

I must ask though, as you seen to have seen these in person given the illuminated pics you posted, is the projector illuminated with an LED as well? I dont see why on earth they would be using a led ballast to power just the DRL. There is alot area to illuminate in that strip, but with modern diffusion and light guide tech you would not need to use a ballast or a crazy amount of small LED's to make it blindingly bright and uniformly lit, even in an OEM environment.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:38 PM   #230
CFTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94turbolsx View Post
I am just taking stabs here from knowledge of electronics and the way other OEM's control the DRL's. No way to really know without knowledge of the internal wire harness. Who knows whats under the ballast, most of the time that is where the main connector for the ballast is for the wires that go to the inside of the lamp. They typically don't just mount to the lamp housing, they plug into and then retained with screws.

I must ask though, as you seen to have seen these in person given the illuminated pics you posted, is the projector illuminated with an LED as well? I dont see why on earth they would be using a led ballast to power just the DRL. There is alot area to illuminate in that strip, but with modern diffusion and light guide tech you would not need to use a ballast or a crazy amount of small LED's to make it blindingly bright and uniformly lit, even in an OEM environment.
The bulb for the projector, seems to be HID and missing, appears to be powered by a secondary ballast which was not present in any of the housing shown on ebay. I will still try to see if the newer HID D3 bulbs are a direct fit or if its a new/different type of bulb socket. The 14-15 RS cars use D3 bulbs with 55w ballasts while the 2010-2013 use 35w D1s. Wires for any possible hid ballast, as well as the highbeam cutoff shield had been cut. The cutoff shield motor is intact and from what I recall, it is a 3 wire set up.

The main plug for the headlight is an 8 pin setup. The LED DRL ballast was first removed and all wiring traced throughout the headlight. It is made by AL in germany and the same style used in Audis. Two pins in the one corner of the main plug run directly to the LED DRL ballast, 4 or 5 wires run from that to the LED circuit boards(3 of those). There is no other connection from the LED ballast going to anything else. Ground pin was found just by checking continuity of the pins and seeing which had no resistance to the metal housing of the ballast. It was powered up right after figuring that out. The LED strip is bright and glows almost like fiber optics, no single point LEDs are visible. The LEDs sit about 4 inches back from the front edge.

The turn/marker light is lit in the same manner that the current 5th gens are, a bulb in a standard socket goes into the back and rotates to lock it in. The socket lock pattern however is not the same as 14-15 cars.

Getting back to the main headlight, no halo as I previously said, at least not in these versions. I have yet to confirm what country the cutoff shield is for. I'm pretty sure it looked to be for a LHD setup. So US, canada, Europe(excluding england), etc. One cut wire coming into the headlight leads to a wire coiled around a ring, the type of thing sometimes used on the 12v power lead to an HID ballast. It possible that the ballast is part of the rear cover to the headlights.

All this was done/observed in a matter of maybe 10-15 min with the headlight so that is why I can't be sure about some details right now. I will find out more though.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:45 PM   #231
camarosource

Drives: 1992 Camaro Z28 Showcar
Quote:
The light looks a lot better with the orange marker light lit up.

And the led strip isn't just forward shining. It also glows upwards.
Wait.. What have I missed here... There has been no pictures of the "2016" headlight lit up.. How are you showing this picture of that one on ebay lit up?

Are you the seller? Manufacturer of lights? How are you showing the close up of the "halo" inside?

Camarosource.ca FACEBOOK PAGE - EXCLUSIVE INFO On upcoming Camarosource.ca V5.0 and More!!

camarosource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 10:56 PM   #232
CFTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarosource View Post
Wait.. What have I missed here... There has been no pictures of the "2016" headlight lit up.. How are you showing this picture of that one on ebay lit up?

Are you the seller? Manufacturer of lights? How are you showing the close up of the "halo" inside?
That lit up one is the actual drivers side from ebay.
I took those up close and lit up pictures of the headlight.
With my current schedule, a quick peek and a few pics were all I could manage so far.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:14 AM   #233
camarosource

Drives: 1992 Camaro Z28 Showcar
Quote:
That lit up one is the actual drivers side from ebay.
I took those up close and lit up pictures of the headlight.
With my current schedule, a quick peek and a few pics were all I could manage so far.

I'm still confused.. There were 7 pictures on the ebay listing. None of them were powered up yet you have lit up versions? Also, none of them were the angle in which you posted the halo in...

Where did you find these pictures?

Or are you the one who ended up buying them from ebay?

Camarosource.ca FACEBOOK PAGE - EXCLUSIVE INFO On upcoming Camarosource.ca V5.0 and More!!

camarosource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:43 AM   #234
sonnydurden

Drives: ‘16 1SS & ‘19 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarosource View Post
I'm still confused.. There were 7 pictures on the ebay listing. None of them were powered up yet you have lit up versions? Also, none of them were the angle in which you posted the halo in...

Where did you find these pictures?

Or are you the one who ended up buying them from ebay?
I think there are two sets on eBay. Drivers and passenger. Cause I remember seeing one light badly damaged on another forum.
sonnydurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:31 AM   #235
CFTA

There were 3 individual lights on ebay, 2 passenger, both heavily damaged, and one driver side which just had the back cracked open basically. I have that drivers side light now.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:04 PM   #236
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Fuel door is already on the passenger side on the current model.
Yes it is and its on the bad side, all the chevy other then the 5th gen is on the drivers side why change,
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:28 PM   #237
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
Yes it is and its on the bad side, all the chevy other then the 5th gen is on the drivers side why change,
My 2015 Malibu's is on the passenger side.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 05:07 PM   #238
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
Untrue, my Spark has it on the passengers side. Plus it is safer on the passenger side, some pump islands have a very high curb and it keeps you or someone else from opening your door into one. You also get the opportunity to look your car over as you walk around to the passengers side

Tags
2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 camaro spy, 2016 camaro spy photo, 2016 camaro spy photos, 2016 camaro spy pics, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation