Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 12-02-2020, 06:45 PM   #1
Cedar

Drives: 2017 Z06 Corvette
Home Link Sun Visor

Does the 2020 2SS Camaro offer the home link sun visor?
Cedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:53 PM   #2
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedar View Post
Does the 2020 2SS Camaro offer the home link sun visor?
No. GM removed Homelink all together from the Camaro for 2019. It used to be in the overhead console above the rearview mirror and OnStar was on the rear view mirror. Then for 2019 they added the rear view camera rear view mirror and moved the OnStar buttons to where Homelink used to be.

I added an aftermarket Homelink kit.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 05:38 AM   #3
Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
No. GM removed Homelink all together from the Camaro for 2019. It used to be in the overhead console above the rearview mirror and OnStar was on the rear view mirror. Then for 2019 they added the rear view camera rear view mirror and moved the OnStar buttons to where Homelink used to be.

I added an aftermarket Homelink kit.
Where did you buy your homelink kit and did you install it or who did your install if you don't mind me asking?
Old 12-03-2020, 06:44 AM   #4
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Where did you buy your homelink kit and did you install it or who did your install if you don't mind me asking?
I bought this kit:

https://www.amazon.com/Homelink-60-H...6999270&sr=8-4

I installed it into the headliner between the sunroof and overhead console. I tapped into the 12 volt, headlamp, and ground wires in the overhead console (I don't remember which wires they were, I used a volt meter to find them), and put the module between the headliner and roof. You have to cut a small square through the headliner material to snap the buttons into the module.

Looks like it came from the factory and works on every garage door, as I have a new one with the latest rolling code technology and my parents garage door opener is over 20 years old.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:21 AM   #5
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
I considered installing the factory HomeLink setup on my 1SS, but ultimately just decided to velcro the remote to the small shelf under the steering wheel. It works well there, is completely hidden, and 'free'
Attached Images

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:28 AM   #6
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
I considered installing the factory HomeLink setup on my 1SS, but ultimately just decided to velcro the remote to the small shelf under the steering wheel. It works well there, is completely hidden, and 'free'
Do you use your tilt wheel much? Looks like you'd crush your garage door opener if you moved your wheel. I use my tilt/telescope all the time getting in and out.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:39 AM   #7
Dorwd71

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:

I did the same just velcroing my garage door opener to my car, but instead of under the steering wheel, was a perfect space between the lights in the overhead unit with onstar.
Dorwd71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:10 AM   #8
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Do you use your tilt wheel much? Looks like you'd crush your garage door opener if you moved your wheel. I use my tilt/telescope all the time getting in and out.
No, I don't. Never actually. I set the wheel perfectly once and haven't touched it since.

With that said, I think I tested this out after installing it there and there's still clearance, but if you keep the steering wheel in a low position when driving you may not be able to reach the buttons there. If I think of it, I'll test this out and report back in case it's helpful to someone.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 05:23 PM   #9
Cedar

Quote:
I bought this kit:

https://www.amazon.com/Homelink-60-H...6999270&sr=8-4

I installed it into the headliner between the sunroof and overhead console. I tapped into the 12 volt, headlamp, and ground wires in the overhead console (I don't remember which wires they were, I used a volt meter to find them), and put the module between the headliner and roof. You have to cut a small square through the headliner material to snap the buttons into the module.

Looks like it came from the factory and works on every garage door, as I have a new one with the latest rolling code technology and my parents garage door opener is over 20 years old.
Thank you so very much! Great info! You've done everything but installed this for me, again thank you so very much!
Old 12-04-2020, 10:19 PM   #10
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Thank you so very much! Great info! You've done everything but installed this for me, again thank you so very much!
No problem, glad I could help. I meant to take pictures and post a how-to but after I started working on it I forgot to get out my phone till I was all done lol
Old 12-05-2020, 10:40 AM   #11
Pupilbone

Drives: 2019 Crush ZL1 M6
Quote:
Love that!

I have to admit when I traded my 2017 2SS for my ZL1, I was annoyed with the loss of homelink. Can’t believe I wasn’t able to come up with the Velcro thing myself.
Old 12-05-2020, 10:48 AM   #12
az4783054

Drives: SWXXZL1
I applied a strip of heavy duty VELCRO to the back of my garage door opener and positioned it next to my knee on the carpet, just below the edge of the center console. The hooked VELCRO attaches to the carpet very securely.
Old 12-07-2020, 11:24 AM   #13
BrandanK

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by az4783054 View Post
I applied a strip of heavy duty VELCRO to the back of my garage door opener and positioned it next to my knee on the carpet, just below the edge of the center console. The hooked VELCRO attaches to the carpet very securely.
Great idea here. Thanks AZ.

BK
BrandanK is offline   Reply With Quote