Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-02-2020, 02:13 PM   #1
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Tire decision 2020 SS

ok the car, 2020 2SS 245 front 275 rear on the stock ROF tires with about 9k miles.

My thoughts,
  • Keep these until they are done then get Pilot Sport 4S
  • Keep these and get a set of wheels/tires with the AS3+ for "winter". This will consist of December through February.

Things I have to consider,
  • These tires (from posts here) do not have much time left so that will be ~$1300.
  • set of wheels/tires is about ~$2000 and I will need to drop the $1300 to replace the goodyears soon. So I will be in ~$3300.

I live near Charlotte, NC and some winters can be cold but usually I will be ok with Summer only. I can take the truck if it snows.

I think I cannot go wrong with getting the winter set. My main complaint will be the AS3+ will go out of years way before the mileage

Last edited by FarmerFran; 12-02-2020 at 03:52 PM.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:11 PM   #2
Staves

Drives: women crazy
Unless you changed your front tires, you should have 245, not 255.
I can't advise you on the rest of it as we don't have real winters where I am. I personally don't like driving RWD sports cars in bad weather. I prefer handing that off to a cheap FWD beater.
Old 12-02-2020, 03:52 PM   #3
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staves View Post
Unless you changed your front tires, you should have 245, not 255.
I can't advise you on the rest of it as we don't have real winters where I am. I personally don't like driving RWD sports cars in bad weather. I prefer handing that off to a cheap FWD beater.
Correct on the 245. fixed in OP. I was looking at going 255/285 on the winter tires for a big more contact patch and got my numbers mixed.

As for bad weather, I have a truck that I can take in bad weather. This is more about the summer tires not being able to handle the "cold".
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 04:23 PM   #4
Staves

Drives: women crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
Correct on the 245. fixed in OP. I was looking at going 255/285 on the winter tires for a big more contact patch and got my numbers mixed.

As for bad weather, I have a truck that I can take in bad weather. This is more about the summer tires not being able to handle the "cold".
Oh then yeah, maybe a performance all season tire. But if it's dry conditions and just cold, I think summer performance tires should be ok, as long you take it easy. Others who drive in colder temps should be able to add their experience.
Old 12-02-2020, 07:44 PM   #5
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
My son lives in charlotte. Nights get into the 40's already. My experience is that the stock run flats do start to want to slide when the rubber is below 40 degrees. 30's are outright trouble. If you never drive at night, then no issue. The question is always about the tire temp. Leave the garage on a 30 degree night, get gas, and drive home, then no issue because the tires stay warm. Get dinner, and the tires cool for an hour, you will have limited grip driving home. The chemical term for this is "glass transition" of the rubber. Think o-rings on the boosters of space shuttle challenger for a visual.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:37 AM   #6
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Your situation and location are similar to mine, so buy a set of high performance tires such as the 4S. There'll only be a handful of days during the year that you can't drive the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
ok the car, 2020 2SS 245 front 275 rear on the stock ROF tires with about 9k miles.

My thoughts,
  • Keep these until they are done then get Pilot Sport 4S
  • Keep these and get a set of wheels/tires with the AS3+ for "winter". This will consist of December through February.

Things I have to consider,
  • These tires (from posts here) do not have much time left so that will be ~$1300.
  • set of wheels/tires is about ~$2000 and I will need to drop the $1300 to replace the goodyears soon. So I will be in ~$3300.

I live near Charlotte, NC and some winters can be cold but usually I will be ok with Summer only. I can take the truck if it snows.

I think I cannot go wrong with getting the winter set. My main complaint will be the AS3+ will go out of years way before the mileage
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:13 AM   #7
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
That or the BFG Comp2 A/S plus...the "plus" is the new model tire, I've run the previous version on the Mustang and now the Camaro with great results in cold and wet but I thought that they were poor on anything more than a dusting of snow. I had the option on snow days to take a day off from work and would just wait out the plows/salt/sand for a half day.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 02:26 PM   #8
Skyman2112

Drives: 2016 2SS blue velvet w/blk stripes
Summer tires are fine in your location year round. As you said if the weather is that bad you have a truck to drive. Rain is more of a concern then tire temps. Take it easy if its wet. So in my opinion its not necessary to have seperate winter tires for your location.
Skyman2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 04:36 PM   #9
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
I went with 255/285's on my 17 SS when my garbage Goodyear runflats went out around 14k miles. I bought the 4S's and really, really liked them other than the softer sidewall. I got 28,000 miles out of those 4S's. I never saw any snow here in the Raleigh area while I had it.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 12:02 PM   #10
ctrlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman2112 View Post
Summer tires are fine in your location year round. Rain is more of a concern than tire temps.
well... maybe if you never drive at night or leave the car outside. Overnight lows get into the 30's for 4 months out of the year.
https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...th-average.php

You need to know the glass phase transition temp for the summer compound. If it's wet you can always drive slower. It's a lot harder to compensate when both the tires and road are cold.

Just looking at prices on tirerack you are looking at a range of 31-77% upcharge to go from an "ultra performance all-season" to an "ultra performance summer" tire. The bigger hit is for the bigger rear tire. In Charlotte you have maybe 4 months where you will appreciate the difference. And I'm not even addressing the issue of whether a summer tire on a hot day EVER has more than 31% of the grip of an all-season.
Old 12-11-2020, 07:40 PM   #11
WldchrySS

Drives: 2021 camaro ss
I live in va the coast to be exact. Our winters here don’t get that bad for the most part. What I decided to do is get a spare set of wheels and tires. Same staggered set up just all seasons uhp’tires.
WldchrySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 11:34 AM   #12
ctrlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WldchrySS View Post
I live in va the coast to be exact. Our winters here don’t get that bad for the most part. What I decided to do is get a spare set of wheels and tires. Same staggered set up just all seasons uhp’tires.
south jersey coast, so very similar situation for me. And I did the same. I ran my run flats almost bald. Now I have two sets of wheels with UHP A/S tires. The "summer" wheel is on BFG's (more of a rain tread), the winter wheel is on Generals (a better snow tread pattern). And I do not drive this car in serious snow.