Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-02-2020, 03:47 AM   #1
PEGA2SS
Madman

Drives: 2018 2SS Optioned 6spd Summit White
Whats this? -jack

I attached a photo of the “box” on the left side of engine towards front

I got a catch can thinking that took care of the Pcv relating to the cleanliness of the air entering engine but there seems to
Be a second Pcv system ?

Thanks

2018 2SS

Name:  E5EDD969-4194-48FE-91CF-ED31E8288E0D.jpg
Views: 1359
Size:  225.6 KB
PEGA2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 06:37 AM   #2
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Looks like the factory oil separator system to me.
Old 12-02-2020, 07:24 AM   #3
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
Yes, its the factory, dirty side (if i remember correctly) oil seperator. The oil it catches is routed back into the oil pan. Your clean side catch can is still needed, if you believe in catch cans.
Old 12-02-2020, 01:05 PM   #4
PEGA2SS
Madman

So this is a factory catch can?
Old 12-02-2020, 01:08 PM   #5
PEGA2SS
Madman

Thx for replies btw

Do u not believe in catch cans ? Mine fills up (3oz) after 5-7k or so

I was asking what that part is because I would like to know what it does and if it can be removed? Perhaps removing it would keep intake components and passages cleaner ?

This curiosity came after I installed a vented cap, anyone have any experience w vented caps catch cans and Pcv etc?

Thx again
Old 12-02-2020, 01:09 PM   #6
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEGA2SS View Post
So this is a factory catch can?
it is a factory catch AND DRAIN can. it works poorly, letting a lot of oil by and it drains what little it catches right back to the oil pan. its worthless.

be careful with those fittings. i had to replace that thing on my car, it was a huge pita to change a plastic part that really doesn't do anything.
Old 12-02-2020, 01:10 PM   #7
Jaxcam02

Quote:
Thx for replies btw

I was asking what that part is because I would like to know what it does and if it can be removed? Perhaps removing it would keep intake components and passages cleaner ?

This curiosity came after I installed a vented cap, anyone have any experience w vented caps catch cans and Pcv etc?

Thx again
Lol, i just said that because of the massive arguments about a catch can's viability that takes place on every car forum I have been a part of. I'm sure they work but not enough to put one on my cars that are still under warranty and risking the dealer voiding the warranty if god forbid, something happens to the engine.
Old 12-02-2020, 02:44 PM   #8
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
I attached a photo of the “box” on the left side of engine towards front

I got a catch can thinking that took care of the Pcv relating to the cleanliness of the air entering engine but there seems to
Be a second Pcv system?
That’s the “clean side” air/oil separator that feeds clean fresh air to the valve covers. The “dirty side” is the PCV hose running from the engine to the intake manifold. That’s where the majority of the oil will be captured by a catch can. I had one on my 5th Gen and moved it to my 6th Gen. Mine collects about 4 oz. of fluid per year. To each their own but I’m a fan. I remove it and replace the factory PCV hose before taking it to a dealership.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:07 PM   #9
Jaxcam02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
That’s the “clean side” air/oil separator that feeds clean fresh air to the valve covers. The “dirty side” is the PCV hose running from the engine to the intake manifold. That’s where the majority of the oil will be captured by a catch can. I had one on my 5th Gen and moved it to my 6th Gen. Mine collects about 4 oz. of fluid per year. To each their own but I’m a fan. I remove it and replace the factory PCV hose before taking it to a dealership.
thanks for correcting my info, i always confuse the two for some reason
Old 12-02-2020, 03:31 PM   #10
Magnum922

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxcam02 View Post
Lol, i just said that because of the massive arguments about a catch can's viability that takes place on every car forum I have been a part of. I'm sure they work but not enough to put one on my cars that are still under warranty and risking the dealer voiding the warranty if god forbid, something happens to the engine.
Exactly, my dealer said putting a catch can would void my warranty and I have a lifetime engine warranty. Dont want to void that.
Old 12-02-2020, 04:07 PM   #11
PEGA2SS
Madman

How does it feed fresh air to the valve covers ? Doesn’t the intake do that ? It looks like a box, don’t see any connections to crankcase to drain back oil either, if it does then I would def want to remove it as that would make the oil dirtier faster would it not ?

Side note:
Many have said that my “tone” makes it sound like I’m clowning but I’m just trying to learn
Old 12-02-2020, 04:27 PM   #12
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
PEGA2SS, I'll try to make this semi clear.........

Clean side only deals with oil mist that comes from a positively pressurized crankcase. This usually occurs during WOT because there is no vacuum in the manifold to purge the crankcase through the dirty side. That's why it doesn't catch a bunch of oil and GM feels as though it can drain back into the crankcase.

Dirty side puts a negative pressure in the crankcase, via the manifold vacuum, most of the time the engine is running. So, it catches more oil mist. GM feels as though this oil has more contaminants in it, so they prefer to burn it rather than dump back into the crankcase.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:07 PM   #13
PEGA2SS
Madman

Thx Geoff

Makes sense

So since I have a vented oil cap (by Earls) do u think that piece can be deleted ? The valve covers will still be getting their fresh air and dirty oil won’t be drained back
Old 12-02-2020, 10:31 PM   #14
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Thx for replies btw

Just don't EVER let it get "full", if you start ingesting liquid oil into your intake, that will be a VERY bad thing! I empty mine about every 500-100 miles and usually has less than an ounce of oil, but I don't want it to even get close to being full (or even half full)...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote