Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-26-2020, 08:19 AM   #29
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
I have close to 2 years ( 20,000+ miles) on my MP4S with plenty of life left. They are excellent daily tire.. just not snow compatible.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:58 AM   #30
shogun37

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post
I have close to 2 years ( 20,000+ miles) on my MP4S with plenty of life left. They are excellent daily tire.. just not snow compatible.
Indeed. I struggled to get up a parking lot incline with maybe 1/4" of snow.
Conti DWS 06 will do the business. The Pirelli P7 and NERO family all seasons are just appallingly bad. The summer '80' rating tires are tolerable but obviously hot weather only.

General GMAX A/S are not too expensive and do a credible job. I prefer the Conti but some people don't like their soft sidewalls.
You own a Camaro, the days of Civic budget are LONG gone.
shogun37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:01 AM   #31
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
I drive with NON-RF tires from day one.....

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:14 AM   #32
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
If you're going to drive thse types of cars you'd better have a tire budget. It's all relative but you're going to spend money on tires even just driving it around normally you're going to go through tires much faster than a Camry. Remember staggered setups manufacturers halve the mileage warranty and too that you can't rotate 'em. Getting 20K on a set of summer style tires is fair. Of course you can't account for how people maintain their cars with tire pressure and maint either.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:16 AM   #33
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
On a car like a Camaro, especially the heavier V8 models with staggered tires, you're doing good if you get more than 20k miles out of a set of summer tires. With a decent all season, you're likely to about double that.

Make sure you get a good alignment. A bad alignment, namely bad toe, will eat tires in just a few thousand miles.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:27 AM   #34
enjikari

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS
I'm leaning either the Indy 500's or the MP4S's, unless some of you fine folks can offer other tires with better results given my driving intentions.

Also, any experiences with these two tires pros and cons, other than those who've already testified, would be greatly appreciated.
enjikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:15 PM   #35
shogun37

avoid Runflat like the plague. Unless you have a history of getting frequent flats where you drive. For any kind of sane public road driving the 300-400 all-seasons are MORE tire than you can possibly use. Why pay extra for summer-only?

If you're gonna spend your summers tearing up Hot Springs AK, or TN/KY backroads then maybe Summers would be very slightly more fun.
Old 10-28-2020, 09:20 PM   #36
shaneotool

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
I bought a used camaro ss a few months ago. It came with all season tires on it - Toyo extensa hp II. Now these are not tires I would have ever considered buying - but I really can’t complain about them. As the poster above said - I live in Hot Springs and drive around backroads here at twice the posted speed and the car is very planted. I’m sure they break loose easier from a stop than summer tires, but really that is part of the fun for me. I’m not taking my car to the track of the drag strip - just hauling ass around town and having fun with the car.

Just posting to let you know that you don’t absolutely have to spend a ton on tires if you don’t have the budget for it. Depending on what you plan on doing, the cheaper tires may be fine.
shaneotool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:01 AM   #37
WhiteMale

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjikari View Post
I'm leaning either the Indy 500's or the MP4S's, unless some of you fine folks can offer other tires with better results given my driving intentions.

Also, any experiences with these two tires pros and cons, other than those who've already testified, would be greatly appreciated.
Ive run the 500's on my previous Mustang GT PP1 car and I liked those, they were an excellent tire at a great price point. The tire is the rebranded Bridgestone Re003 if you want to do more research on them. The "Firestone/Firehawk" name is cheaper that "Bridegestone" apparently
Old 10-29-2020, 07:45 AM   #38
Invertalon

Drives: 2021 2SS
I got my car a few weeks ago and swapped out the summer run flats with Michelin A/S 3+ non run-flats. Cost me $1300 I believe out the door for all (4) for the SS with the tire replacement certificates and install at Discount Tire.

Because we have no jack/spare/etc... I bought a tire-plug kit and 'TPMS safe' fix a flat and threw both into my trunk. If neither of those will work in case of a flat, it will get towed.

In my 15 years or so of driving (and hundreds of thousands of miles), I never had a flat that stranded me or required a side of the road repair. Typically any screw/bolt/etc... Would be a slow leak that would allow me to get to a shop or pull the tire off at home and take it myself somewhere. Most tires blow catastrophically due to improper air pressure, overloading, tire age, excessive wear, etc... Rarely does it occur due to defect, for example (but does happen, of course).

So I personally have no fear running non RF tires without a spare. At worst, for critical failure I will get towed somewhere (covered under my insurance and with Michelin). Because I am unable to rotate my tires front-to-back, I expect I will replace my rear set of tires a bit more often then the fronts.
Invertalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:59 AM   #39
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invertalon View Post
swapped out the summer run flats with Michelin A/S 3+ non run-flats. Cost me $1300
So the General G-max as-05's cost me about $750 from discount tire (this is for stock SS sizes). I waited for the rebate, so got $70 back on that. Mount/balance ran me about $100 with tax and disposal fees.
I don't doubt the Michelin is a better tire, but is it almost TWICE as good as the General?
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 11:15 AM   #40
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
I think I paid around $1400 at the Chevy dealer for my Pilot Sports. They matched the best price I could find online (Discount Tire was lowest). Plus it always helps you buildup goodwill with them by spending cash there in case you need some warranty work out of warranty.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 12:00 PM   #41
WhiteMale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
So the General G-max as-05's cost me about $750 from discount tire (this is for stock SS sizes). I waited for the rebate, so got $70 back on that. Mount/balance ran me about $100 with tax and disposal fees.
I don't doubt the Michelin is a better tire, but is it almost TWICE as good as the General?
The AS3 is the hand=down king of the mountain but as long as youre thinking it's twice a good you're already flawed in the way youre thinking about it.
Old 10-29-2020, 12:15 PM   #42
shogun37

no the Mich are not 2x as good as the G-max