Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-03-2019, 02:37 PM   #1
StingrayblueSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Cv joint leak

Back in March I swapped my differential for a 1le with 3.91 gears. When I was resembling I saw a small pin hole in the cv boot on the drivers side. I didn't think much of it but next time I washed the car there was grease on the barrel of the rim and fender well. I cleaned it up and knew I'd need to fix it soon. Well it been 3 months now and no noises or anything else. My question is is it safe to keep driving as is or do I risk breaking something if it fails.
StingrayblueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 03:04 PM   #2
fly2hip8

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
If it has leaked out fix it. No grease no good
fly2hip8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 04:35 PM   #3
RJT Impala
Stovebolt BluFlame 6

Drives: '12 2LT/RS, IBM; '20 Traverse Prem
On my old VW GTI, leaking CV boots would lead to CV joint replacement very quickly! They were expensive--and that was 30 years ago.
RJT Impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 04:45 PM   #4
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Gotta wonder why there was a small pinhole in the boot. When boots fail, it's usually due to being torn by debris or melted by some bubba using a blowtorch to loosen a suspension fastener.

A pinhole might indicate that a pinhead used a needle to "lubricate" the joint by piercing the boot. Yes, such needles are available and advertised for that purpose. But then again, Lucas oil "additives" are also advertised and sold. There's a sucker born every minute.

Are you the original owner? If not, suspect an intentional piercing.

Either way, you need to get after this right away. And since the amount of labor to replace the boot is similar to that needed to replace the CV joint, I would do both.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 06:07 PM   #5
StingrayblueSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Gotta wonder why there was a small pinhole in the boot. When boots fail, it's usually due to being torn by debris or melted by some bubba using a blowtorch to loosen a suspension fastener.

A pinhole might indicate that a pinhead used a needle to "lubricate" the joint by piercing the boot. Yes, such needles are available and advertised for that purpose. But then again, Lucas oil "additives" are also advertised and sold. There's a sucker born every minute.

Are you the original owner? If not, suspect an intentional piercing.

Either way, you need to get after this right away. And since the amount of labor to replace the boot is similar to that needed to replace the CV joint, I would do both.
I think it was self inflicted when I was pulling the axle.
StingrayblueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 06:27 PM   #6
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
OK. So since the labor is your own, it may be worth replacing the boot only if only a low volume of grease was expelled.

When this happened to me, the wheel well was pretty well coated with grease, and the bubba who melted my boot while replacing a strut (FWD car) was obliged to replace both the boot and the CV joint at his expense.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote