Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 12-04-2020, 01:21 PM   #43
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malbjey View Post
Yeah it absolutely boils down to the dollar for me and most people. That's why I was talking about price per performance for the I4/V6. You just can't beat it in the 20K to 30K range.

It's the same for the V8 cars. You can't beat their performance in the 35K to 50K range.

If price wasn't a concern then I wouldn't even be shopping Camaros. I'd be looking at a BMW M car, Audi RS car, or Cadillac V car (whenever Blackwing comes out).

I'm not married to a particular manufacturer or model.

True, I would agree that I don't think the price per performance can be beat. I'm probably coming off more argumentative than I intend to be . I just think this is one area that is interesting, and it gives us something to discuss. It sure has seen some traffic today haha.

YES. I love the M series. I would like an M4 or M5, but they are obviously priced a bit higher ha. They're also not cars that I would consider without a fair remainder of factory warranty (IMO).

Neither am I. I'm actually not a die hard Chevy fan, or a fan of domestic vehicles in general, for that matter. I LOVE my imports (those who know me were shocked when I got the SS). For me, discussing price (value/bargain), performance capabilities, driving experience and engineering... Porsche is hands down one of the best IMO. Hopefully one is in the cards down the road, but there isn't one that fits my wants & budget right now. I never thought I would live to see the day that a Chevy Camaro is parked in my garage.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 01:35 PM   #44
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
, plus you might want to add AND THAT IS A GOOD THING.

No matter how unfruitful they invariably are, I enjoy even these V8 vs V6/I4, auto vs manual, 1LE vs non-1LE, ZL1 vs the rest etc. threads, I like hearing other viewpoints and learning from people. I've abandoned the "maximum efficiency, everyone must do the same and feel the same so we can optimize everything, dissenters be damned" mindset of my foolish youth.

On topic, I had a V6 2LT and it was a great car, nothing wrong with it, someone must now be happily enjoying the ride for a much lower price than what I originally paid. To me the V8 experience turned out absolutely unique (this is my first ever car with a V8), the power and the sound are intoxicating, there is something subliminally awesome about the noise eight cylinders make. Yet, I also understand how not-quite-as-nimble these heavier SS and ZL1 beasts are and how that matters more to some folks.
I have to say you certainly dove in head first.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 01:38 PM   #45
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
Corvette . That wouldn't be in my vocabulary if money were no object.

True, true. Now, Koenigsegg... I think you're onto something!
Well, true, if money is no object, I think the T50 would be something to try.

Oh, we can all dream...

Quote:
True, I would agree that I don't think the price per performance can be beat. I'm probably coming off more argumentative than I intend to be . I just think this is one area that is interesting, and it gives us something to discuss. It sure has seen some traffic today haha.

YES. I love the M series. I would like an M4 or M5, but they are obviously priced a bit higher ha. They're also not cars that I would consider without a fair remainder of factory warranty (IMO).

Neither am I. I'm actually not a die hard Chevy fan, or a fan of domestic vehicles in general, for that matter. I LOVE my imports (those who know me were shocked when I got the SS). For me, discussing price (value/bargain), performance capabilities, driving experience and engineering... Porsche is hands down one of the best IMO. Hopefully one is in the cards down the road, but there isn't one that fits my wants & budget right now. I never thought I would live to see the day that a Chevy Camaro is parked in my garage.
Eh, I don't like BMW even if I have the money. I wouldn't fit in as I always use my turn signals and I park properly. OK, seriously, I don't feel like buying a car for my mechanic so they can make more money off me. And the new M4 is absolutely hideous to look at. It looks like Kia managed to steal all BMW designers(to work on the Stinger) and BMW had to let the interns do the work.

I dig Porsche for sure, however. Ticks a lot of boxes for me, but performance-per-dollar-wise, it's hard to beat the Camaro, and even if I can afford a Porsche, the raw prowess of an OHV V8 is hard to say no to, which is why I bought an SS 1LE, but again, I personally won't hold it against anyone with a V6 or 2.0T.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 01:46 PM   #46
Malbjey

Drives: 2022 Kia Stinger GT2
Quote:

Yep, if money was truly no object I'd still only buy a decent Porsche 911 at maximum. They are still relatively practical cars with awesome performance. As much as I love Ferrari, Lambo, etc I don't want all the attention that comes with them.

Porsches can grab some attention, but nothing like other super cars.
Malbjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 04:13 PM   #47
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
The HP ratings on the 4 and 6 bangers are quite good. What they both lack is tq. If the could up the tq to slight above the hp ratings and some how give it a deeper aggressive exhaust note. I would have considered one if I were on a budget.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 04:19 PM   #48
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
The HP ratings on the 4 and 6 bangers are quite good. What they both lack is tq. If the could up the tq to slight above the hp ratings and some how give it a deeper aggressive exhaust note. I would have considered one if I were on a budget.
I always thought the 5.3 V8 would have been interesting in the Camaro. Cheaper than the LT1 and a tad more than the V6. Otherwise a tune and a good muffler change is about the closest we can get on the V6
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 03:09 PM   #49
NYJets12

Drives: 2018 1LT Camaro
On the 4 cyl, I wouldn’t but a turbo engine of any brand if you paid me , before I got my Camaro I looked at whatever I could find about turbos on the net, because just about all cars got them anyway to see if they’re reliable.
I seen all makes they start failing after 4 years. Maybe not every single car but lots of them.
Where I work I picked a guy up from the Chevrolet dealer his almost 4 year old Trax just went in the shop because the turbo gave out lucky for him he bought the extended warranty.
The dealer told him they get lots of Chevy Trax with failing turbos.
But if you’re on a budget and get a 4 cyl Camaro I hope it lasts for you.
Old 12-05-2020, 03:31 PM   #50
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJets12 View Post
On the 4 cyl, I wouldn’t but a turbo engine of any brand if you paid me , before I got my Camaro I looked at whatever I could find about turbos on the net, because just about all cars got them anyway to see if they’re reliable.
I seen all makes they start failing after 4 years. Maybe not every single car but lots of them.
Where I work I picked a guy up from the Chevrolet dealer his almost 4 year old Trax just went in the shop because the turbo gave out lucky for him he bought the extended warranty.
The dealer told him they get lots of Chevy Trax with failing turbos.
But if you’re on a budget and get a 4 cyl Camaro I hope it lasts for you.
I wonder if that has to do with the lack of knowledge on turbo idle.

For turbocharged engines, you have to idle them a bit after you drive them before turning the engine off, especially if you drive it hard. Essentially, turbos get hot from hard driving, and you need to cool the turbos before you shut the car down. Otherwise, oil gets trapped inside the hot turbo and gets caked onto it. This will damage the turbo over time.

With these big SUV, I'd imagine the turbo has to work pretty hard, so you do need to know about it if you want the turbo to last.

My friend's Mazda6 2.5T specifically mentions this in the manual, and I let the car idle a bit before I shut it off.

Personally, I would be fine with a turbocharged engine in a family car, though for a sports car, I would go NA all day because I can't live with any turbo lag, not to mention that turbo engines can get potentially worse gas mileage than NA engines of similar power when driven hard.

Sent from toaster or something

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 04:47 PM   #51
Konnerfallos1

Drives: Camaro
Honestly agree with the guy above. I understand some people can't afford v8's to begin with, I was among that group 2 years ago I bought a v6 used. Now i own a v8, buy something cool but you have to get some common sense if you own a 4 banger camaro and your trying to tell off v8's. I mean cmon man, the 4 cylinder doesn't hold a candle to any v8 I know of... they sound worse than your average riding mower if you can hear them at all, and my grandmothers wheelchair is faster than that. You want an entry level sports car get a used v6 with a few miles on it so at least you get some sound out of the exhaust pipes and can fbo for roughly 400 ish horsepower. Don't waste your money on a 4 cylinder camaro, mustang etc... they are not worth the money save up a bit more and buy something with a few more cylinders, or you could go buy a tesla your choice.
Konnerfallos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 08:37 PM   #52
NYJets12

Drives: 2018 1LT Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
I wonder if that has to do with the lack of knowledge on turbo idle.

For turbocharged engines, you have to idle them a bit after you drive them before turning the engine off, especially if you drive it hard. Essentially, turbos get hot from hard driving, and you need to cool the turbos before you shut the car down. Otherwise, oil gets trapped inside the hot turbo and gets caked onto it. This will damage the turbo over time.

With these big SUV, I'd imagine the turbo has to work pretty hard, so you do need to know about it if you want the turbo to last.

My friend's Mazda6 2.5T specifically mentions this in the manual, and I let the car idle a bit before I shut it off.

Personally, I would be fine with a turbocharged engine in a family car, though for a sports car, I would go NA all day because I can't live with any turbo lag, not to mention that turbo engines can get potentially worse gas mileage than NA engines of similar power when driven hard.

Sent from toaster or something
Never knew that about turbos , makes sense since nobody even reads the manuals anyway. No wonder they don’t last
Old 12-06-2020, 10:20 AM   #53
bob13bob

Drives: dodge grand caravan, acura rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushin_LT1 View Post
Nothing wrong with the I4Turbo or the V6, we all start somewhere. My first car was a 3.8l w/5spd - solid first car. It set me on the path to being a car guy and snagging my 6.2l now.
This implies that more expensive is a better car for everyone. Not true. I could buy a new Ferrari, but I'm deciding between the used camaro convertible smaller engines vs ss. No 1le for me because i want it to drive smoother on regular roads. Also looking at audi s5, but not paying 45k for a 260 hp and with maintenance that's a pita. Also looking at miata, but too small and the camaro is just a better handling sports car for less money.

I enjoy getting value, and it's crazy how good a 25k 2.0t camaro is. 28k gets you the v6, 10at that is better than the vette, and 18 245 wheels, and amazing handling chassis s. Vs a mustang gt premium that I rented, 235 17 wheels, worse implementation of the 10at that is more jerky and even missshifts rarely. Cluttered interior chromed out that blinds you every time the sun low and behind you. Camaro ss 6mt gets you a tremec that the mustang doesn't get until gt350 money

Lt1 tranny combo is a great match, but the best part of the car is the chassis. This is not a muscle car, thst doesn't give it it's proper respect. This could be the best ice daily driver sports car ever produced, once you match for tire type and size, and ground clearance, and it's the cheapest one to boot. It shows the track data and times. Bev will be better sports cars and the camaro is last hurrah for the ice age of vehicles. I really hope they make an bev camaro that keeps this amazing handling. Kudos to the gm engineers.

If I do get the ss, I don't want 20 wheels because of harsher ride and lower performance. There is a reason why they when with smaller wheels in the zl1 1ls. I dont like super low profile wheel fashion on cars these days. Any suggestions of good wheels that fit while keeping the same wheel sizes? I can put all weather on them since I live in a rainy area.

I have raced bicycles, and I know the tradeoffs of equipment designed for racing vs every day use. Also how important tire selection is.

Last edited by bob13bob; 12-06-2020 at 10:34 AM.
bob13bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 08:29 AM   #54
hfur
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Chevy camaro
pictures of 2.0 Turbo-Garnett Red

check this out get a great deal
Attached Images

hfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 08:42 AM   #55
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Hey at least it's not an Iron Duke 4 banger

There's the old adage that the 4 and 6 cylinder models make it work financially for GM (and Ford and Chrysler) to give us the V8s.

Thing is, this base turbo 4 automatic is about as fast as a 1968 COPO Camaro with the factory 427 and 4 speed
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 08:48 AM   #56
Crushin_LT1

Drives: 2021 LT1 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob13bob View Post
This implies that more expensive is a better car for everyone. Not true. I could buy a new Ferrari, but I'm deciding between the used camaro convertible smaller engines vs ss. No 1le for me because i want it to drive smoother on regular roads. Also looking at audi s5, but not paying 45k for a 260 hp and with maintenance that's a pita. Also looking at miata, but too small and the camaro is just a better handling sports car for less money.

I enjoy getting value, and it's crazy how good a 25k 2.0t camaro is. 28k gets you the v6, 10at that is better than the vette, and 18 245 wheels, and amazing handling chassis s. Vs a mustang gt premium that I rented, 235 17 wheels, worse implementation of the 10at that is more jerky and even missshifts rarely. Cluttered interior chromed out that blinds you every time the sun low and behind you. Camaro ss 6mt gets you a tremec that the mustang doesn't get until gt350 money

Lt1 tranny combo is a great match, but the best part of the car is the chassis. This is not a muscle car, thst doesn't give it it's proper respect. This could be the best ice daily driver sports car ever produced, once you match for tire type and size, and ground clearance, and it's the cheapest one to boot. It shows the track data and times. Bev will be better sports cars and the camaro is last hurrah for the ice age of vehicles. I really hope they make an bev camaro that keeps this amazing handling. Kudos to the gm engineers.

If I do get the ss, I don't want 20 wheels because of harsher ride and lower performance. There is a reason why they when with smaller wheels in the zl1 1ls. I dont like super low profile wheel fashion on cars these days. Any suggestions of good wheels that fit while keeping the same wheel sizes? I can put all weather on them since I live in a rainy area.

I have raced bicycles, and I know the tradeoffs of equipment designed for racing vs every day use. Also how important tire selection is.

No implication of more $$$ being better, but when what you want is more than you can afford (being 16, a $2500 decade+ old v6 is way more affordable than a $50k SS) you do make decisions.