Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-24-2020, 07:24 PM   #15
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
It's very easy to reverse it after it's done. Just need to buy 2 roll-pins, break your new "key" apart, and put it back in the switch blade. They are just taking your key out of the switch and putting it into a plastic chunk and calling it a key
That is exactly what I did. I bought 2 brand new fobs on Amazon, removed the blank keys, installed mine after cutting them out of the plastic crap and then reprogrammed them. Everything works including remote start.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 11:47 PM   #16
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
I’ve got the amazon switchblade here as a spare. I’ve not had the recall done and have no plans to in the future.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 05:55 AM   #17
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Ray T View Post
While we are on the topic. When I got my car, It came with 3 keys. The owner had the original FOB with detached keys, but the buttons were broke so he purchased a switchblade key fob from a dealer. Just because I like redundancy, was considering getting the second switchblade key done. Have seen them on ebay (uncut) cheep, and I understand the dealer will punch you in the mouth when purchased from them. So what I am asking, is are the ebay keys just a good to get and take to a lock smith or dealership to be cut, or should I suck it up and just go to the dealer to get my second switchblade?
When the buttons wore off mine, I bought a switchblade key from a dealer. Didn't ask for a switchblade, that's just what they sold me. They cut it free of charge, programming was simple, though I did not have remote start. The fob was just under $60 and they cut it for free.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:47 PM   #18
Cpt. Ray T

Drives: 2010 SS A/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
When the buttons wore off mine, I bought a switchblade key from a dealer. Didn't ask for a switchblade, that's just what they sold me. They cut it free of charge, programming was simple, though I did not have remote start. The fob was just under $60 and they cut it for free.

Hmmm, Shall check into that this week. Thanks.

"Thosewho would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."Benjamin Franklin
Cpt. Ray T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 11:38 PM   #19
PeteD

Drives: 2012 2SS Victory Red with white st
You were able to go and get new switchblades at the dealer for a while. Now in most areas it is under a second recall because they found out people were getting them and can not do so now. Just call the dealer and ask (don't mention a recall) and see which one you can get. Or go the amazon route
Old 01-27-2020, 06:27 AM   #20
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Ray T View Post
While we are on the topic. When I got my car, It came with 3 keys. The owner had the original FOB with detached keys, but the buttons were broke so he purchased a switchblade key fob from a dealer. Just because I like redundancy, was considering getting the second switchblade key done. Have seen them on ebay (uncut) cheep, and I understand the dealer will punch you in the mouth when purchased from them. So what I am asking, is are the ebay keys just a good to get and take to a lock smith or dealership to be cut, or should I suck it up and just go to the dealer to get my second switchblade?
my wife keeps losing them, so yeah, you can get them on eBay, get them cut and programming them yourself is pretty easy (it is on the 2010). Even had the dealer cut them, as I told them I ordered it from GM. I have 3 now, but if I had ALL of the keys, I think I would have 6.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:25 PM   #21
Stewart

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS & Ground effects
Thumbs up Switch Blade key fob Replacement

I am pretty sure this topic has been over visited, however I wanted to share. Recently one of my remote buttons on my remote decided to fall out. I called a dealership and they wanted $250.00 and would not make it a switchblade style. I was ok and started to google search where I could get a new remote. I ended up ordering from Walmart.com. I was skeptical how good they would be as they were only $25.00 for 2. With my surprise they were a perfect match to my OEM ones. I then called ACE hardware to see how much it would cost to have the blanks cut to my OEM key, $50.00. I was like nope, so I pulled the little pin that I discovered holding the key to the remote and just put my cut key onto my new remote. Programming both was super easy as well.

MY BUILD LINK: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=484260
Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 02:29 AM   #22
'10CamaroDude
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
Hey, is the lock in the door supposed to read the key? If I arm the car, and open the
door with the key, the alarm sounds. I was told it was coded to the car, they lied.
'10CamaroDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 04:59 AM   #23
fhrex

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS
If you lock the doors with the transmitter, the alarm will go off unless you unlock the doors with the transmitter
Old 03-27-2020, 11:33 AM   #24
ADVMax
Sporting Foole

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
It's very easy to reverse it after it's done. Just need to buy 2 roll-pins, break your new "key" apart, and put it back in the switch blade. They are just taking your key out of the switch and putting it into a plastic chunk and calling it a key

I like it!

The "recall fix" sucks - they key is always bouncing off my knee now. I am going to sacrifice one of my recall keys today to try this as you outlined. I've got a roll pin assortment set!!!
ADVMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 01:03 PM   #25
sscamaro

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2017 Silverado LTZ
Never had the recall done. So, 10 years later It's not a problem.
2010 2SS/RS Victory Red, MN6, 1-7/8 Kooks LT Headers, SLP Axle Back, Edelbrock E-Force S/C, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 72# Injectors, JRE fuel rail upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite Catch Can, Billet Hurst Shifter, DSS 1000HP axles, Spohn Trailing Arms, Toe Links, Lower Control Arms. Chrome American Racing Torq-Thrust wheels. 546/rwhp & 522/rwtq & 10.9# boost Tune by Jeremy Formato.
sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote