Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-03-2017, 09:58 AM   #29
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
*fingers crossed*

The engineers rave about this tire in interviews. Supposedly been in development for three years.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:00 AM   #30
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Damn it, I may HAVE to buy 19s after all
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:07 AM   #31
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Ah cool, 100 treadwear. Thanks.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:09 AM   #32
TrackClub

So less than 50% life expectancy vs G3s.
What's the estimated # of track days for the latter, based on those that run the stockers?
Old 05-03-2017, 10:18 AM   #33
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
So less than 50% life expectancy vs G3s.
What's the estimated # of track days for the latter, based on those that run the stockers?
What you're asking is just not answerable right now. Track tread life is wholly dependent on your driving style. You can chunk a tire in one session, or have it last the whole year if you drive carefully. It's up to you. Tread life on the track is "when they cord". How often do you hear people asking how many miles they'll get out of a set of R7's? They just go until they're corded and then buy more.

Given how few of us have corded the G3's, the data you're asking for just isn't out there yet. The answer will likely be "fewer".
Old 05-03-2017, 12:00 PM   #34
TrackClub

ok tons of experienced hot shoes here that killed many tires in their careers and no doubt stare at their tires after each run So, let me re-phrase my question:

Based on tread wear that folks have seen after 3-4 track days and whatever dd duty in between: do folks estimate they will last just 1 more day, or easily double the existing days, or possibly even more before the tread is worn sufficiently that nobody would wish to risk driving home in case the skies opened up?

This is based on tread life vs cords showing, as it applies to a dual purpose tire that gets ya to/from a track vs a slick that gets trailered.

Just looking for a general idea re longevity ESTIMATE based on current usage to-date. No worries if reality turns out different.

Thanks!
Old 05-03-2017, 12:01 PM   #35
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
Quote:
Nice find Cem! Pretty much exactly what Provoste was saying and your own test also suggests that a delta between some new "streets" vs Rcomps might be non existent. "Uber" Rcomps will still prevail, but at a very high price in comparison and likely much reduced longevity, single purpose design, etc.

Now this is what really blows my mind:
If RE71R is as fast as NT01....and G3 is sooo very close to the former....WOW the stock set up and its value proposition. GM really hit one out of the park here (with Good Years help of course).
Yes, keep in mind though in my experience RE71Rs were done after the 5th event whereas I typically get about 9-10 events with NT01s. It's also somewhat easier to overheat the RE71Rs compared to NT01s in extended sessions. RE71Rs are still a fantastic choice for being able to and from the track and in the wet also (unlike the NT01s)
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 12:02 PM   #36
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Provoste View Post
100. Completely different tread design. Funny, the fronts had the the info omitted, the rears I remember seeing stamped 100 treadwear, because my buddy with trofeos mentioned how similar the tread design was to the pirelli but with a higher treadwear rating.
good find I heard they're the first R comp tires ever made by Goodyear, if the price is right I will probably try them
Old 05-03-2017, 12:05 PM   #37
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
Yes, keep in mind though in my experience RE71Rs were done after the 5th event whereas I typically get about 9-10 events with NT01s. It's also somewhat easier to overheat the RE71Rs compared to NT01s in extended sessions. RE71Rs are still a fantastic choice for being able to and from the track and in the wet also (unlike the NT01s)
Thx Cem. That mirrors my NT01 experience as well. As far as the RE71R: "done" as in no grip, no tread, or cords showing?
Old 05-03-2017, 12:15 PM   #38
glamcem

Quote:
Thx Cem. That mirrors my NT01 experience as well. As far as the RE71R: "done" as in no grip, no tread, or cords showing?
I still had some tread but the grip was not there ..not as good as when they're new for sure They're still in my shed, I have to get rid of them

Whereas with the NT01, I did my best lap right before I corded them
Old 05-03-2017, 12:36 PM   #39
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
I still had some tread but the grip was not there ..not as good as when they're new for sure They're still in my shed, I have to get rid of them

Whereas with the NT01, I did my best lap right before I corded them
Ya I did a few seasons on NT01 and plenty liked them but after a few events they were real bad in a wet. Interesting your experience with RE71R doesn't quite mirror Provoste's n my Pcar friends. Oh well.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:00 PM   #40
JRL1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
For those who want the sticky tires, Hoosier confirmed fall or winter for some 20 inch A7 and R7 and more sizes next year:

John,
Thanks for writing and good question. The demand for Track Day / Competition tires for 20” wheels has certainly grown here in the past few years as requests have been frequent this year. We have been working on this for over a year but do see some light at the end of the tunnel.

We plan on releasing two sizes this year(Fall or Winter) with more to follow in 2018. Here are the proposed sizes:

Fall / Winter 2017

P245/35ZR20 – A7 / R7

P305/30ZR20 – A7 / R7

More sizes will be released early next year with the proposed sizes:

P285/30ZR-20 A7 / T7
P265/30ZR-20 A7 / R7
P335/25ZR-20 A7 / R7

Depending on Wheel Width, you may be able to run the P305 – 20 this Fall, but may have to wait until the P285-20 is released next year.

Feel free to write me this Summer for an update on Release Dates.

Congrats on your New Car!

Jeffrey A. Speer
Circuit Racing Product Manager
Hoosier Racing Tire a Continental AG Company
JRL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 11:25 PM   #41
TrackClub

Don't know how many 20s Hoosier will sell to the Camaro community as it seems most folks that will get 2nd set of rims will get 19s and Hoosier already makes 295/315 in that size. OTOH those that stay with stock wheels as the only choice couldn't really run Hoosiers to/from track.
What would be great is if Hoosier released a harder compound tire, a la the one run in Conti series so they would last longer and perhaps with some tread for street. In other words their version of a Cup tire for majority of track going community. Just IMO.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:23 AM   #42
JRL1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Don't know how many 20s Hoosier will sell to the Camaro community as it seems most folks that will get 2nd set of rims will get 19s and Hoosier already makes 295/315 in that size. OTOH those that stay with stock wheels as the only choice couldn't really run Hoosiers to/from track.
What would be great is if Hoosier released a harder compound tire, a la the one run in Conti series so they would last longer and perhaps with some tread for street. In other words their version of a Cup tire for majority of track going community. Just IMO.
I ran Hoosier in NASA Time Trials for 5 years on my C5Z06, drove to and from track with no issues and they have an awesome contingency program. Just sharing some information for those who may prefer to OEM wheel sizes and Hoosier's response says they are seeing demand increase for 20's. I think Hoosier is doing ok with there current market of tires in road racing and time trial market

Last edited by JRL1LE; 05-06-2017 at 12:35 AM.
JRL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote