Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-20-2019, 03:47 PM   #1
LARRY01Z28

Drives: 2001Camaro Z28
race stars/ tire sensor ?

do most of you run tire sensors in your race stars? if you don't what happens?
if you do, do you have a part number for the sensors?
thanks

Larry
LARRY01Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 10:26 AM   #2
DetCam

Drives: 2016 1SS (12/10/2016)
I opted to save the money and went without for a season (5 track days). When I bought a "package deal" TPMS sensors were like an extra $300. When I got my tires flipped between seasons I paid a local guy $60 to get all four sensors added.

What happens without= nothing but a light on the dash. In my 2016 1SS I could still turn traction\stability control on\off as needed.

Advantage to having them:
With heat, tire pressures go up. Being able to watch the temps change real time gives more feedback about whether or not I need to make changes when I get back to the paddock. It makes it a little less urgent to jump out and check pressures the minute you pull off the track.

I still check with the gague, so really having the readout on the dash is a luxury, but having more information usually helps make better decisions.

As for a part number, I'm not sure which ones I have, but they are a cheap programmable universal style. They have the built in switch that works off centrifugal force so they only send a signal while you are driving. The idea behind these is to make the batteries last longer, but they are annoying because they don't give me a good readout after the car has sat between sessions and I have to wait until I've driven to the grid to get an updated number. At that point it is too late to make changes.... My OEM sensors don't do that, and neither do the ones in my snow tire setup. I definitely prefer the "always on" style.
DetCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 04:21 PM   #3
LARRY01Z28

Drives: 2001Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetCam View Post
I opted to save the money and went without for a season (5 track days). When I bought a "package deal" TPMS sensors were like an extra $300. When I got my tires flipped between seasons I paid a local guy $60 to get all four sensors added.

What happens without= nothing but a light on the dash. In my 2016 1SS I could still turn traction\stability control on\off as needed.

Advantage to having them:
With heat, tire pressures go up. Being able to watch the temps change real time gives more feedback about whether or not I need to make changes when I get back to the paddock. It makes it a little less urgent to jump out and check pressures the minute you pull off the track.

I still check with the gague, so really having the readout on the dash is a luxury, but having more information usually helps make better decisions.

As for a part number, I'm not sure which ones I have, but they are a cheap programmable universal style. They have the built in switch that works off centrifugal force so they only send a signal while you are driving. The idea behind these is to make the batteries last longer, but they are annoying because they don't give me a good readout after the car has sat between sessions and I have to wait until I've driven to the grid to get an updated number. At that point it is too late to make changes.... My OEM sensors don't do that, and neither do the ones in my snow tire setup. I definitely prefer the "always on" style.
thank you very much. I appreciate your time.
LARRY01Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:24 PM   #4
Racer Ed

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LARRY01Z28 View Post
do most of you run tire sensors in your race stars? if you don't what happens?
if you do, do you have a part number for the sensors?
thanks

Larry
You need them ! Otherwise it messes with the computer.
Just order the stock Part number. Also use a 28" tall tire. I went 11.82
with RaceStar/ M&H frt & Rear Package and just a Tune.
Racer Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:27 PM   #5
MP3BOOSTED

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE (F1A-94 FBO H/C)
I got the sensors, i'd like to know when they are flat when they weren't suppose to be
Performance Mods: F1A-94, DSX Flex Fuel Kit, MSD Spark Plug Wires, KOOK 2" off road headers, MBRP Race catback exhaust, Pray Performance Custom Boost Cam, Rocker Arm Trunion Upgrade Kit, 7.850" Hardened Chromemoly Length Pushrods and Johnson Racing 2110R Lifters, TSP CNC'd Heads, Ported MSD intake manifold, 103mm Katech Throttle body, Forged Pistons/Rods, RPM Meth kit, DSX Aux Fuel system, AEM Failsafe and banks gauge, LT4 HPFP, LT4 injectors, BMR motor mounts, Hurst Short Throw, Manley SS exhaust valves

Videos of my car? Check here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNi...Qy1OL4NVGlPogw
MP3BOOSTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:16 PM   #6
mark lewis
ROTN APL

Drives: 2017 red hot ss
But if you go to the track I think they frown on the rubber valve stems and I haven't seen any TPMS that work well with the metal stems. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm about to do a 15" wheel conversion and I'm not sure which way I should go.
mark lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 02:52 PM   #7
RynoSS

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
I don't run them in mine and have no issues with a 28" tall tire at the track. However, as stated above, I do plan to install them to be able to see the tire temps/psi live.