Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-07-2019, 02:08 PM   #57
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7speed View Post
Thank you..... you have to have the Mustang with gt performance package to put it drag mode to rip off the fastest times.

You may like the Challenger 392 or 1320. I had a 15 RT new and it was nice and comfortable, I improved handling and feel when I added strut bar and SRT springs. I liked it a lot and had no issues for the 27,000 miles. So don't let people say that they aren't reliable. People with these Camaros had tranny issues, diff issues, headliner (me), front end link (me). I ended up getting Camaro later because I missed that button down feel, (I had a 370z before the Challenger). My Camaro is feels like a more powerful 370z. The Chrysler keeps updating the Challenger so modern enough but starting to show its age I think.
My two Challengers and my bro's Mopars had no issues... as in NONE.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 02:52 PM   #58
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
I am pretty sure this was intended to be a Camaro SS vs Scat Pack discussion.

Not sure why A10 Mustang GT found its way in to the conversation, hopefully we can get things back on track and the Mustang nut humping can continue elsewhere.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:11 PM   #59
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadicus View Post
Yeah the one where the GT PP1 A10 Drag Mode beat the M6 SS by .1 lol.

A10 didn't help the SS like we thought it might.
I speculate that could be because the LT1 has more mid range torque than Gen 3 Coyote, therefore the minimal improvements due to closer gear ratios compared to the A8 may be offset by more shifting. Plus, 8 gears in the A8 is already a good amount and the difference between 8 and 10 is significantly less than going from 6 to 10. The DOHC Coyote can also really take advantage of staying up in rpms more so since it is a higher revving engine, with the 10 speed gearing keeping the engine in its power band longer than a 6 speed. Why the A10 SS is not much better than the M6 SS may have to do with traction limits. Just my thoughts.

Anyway, back on topic, as I stated earlier, I'd choose the 2SS over a scat pack.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Last edited by Idaho2018GTPremium; 03-07-2019 at 04:07 PM.
Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 03:57 PM   #60
rocket403

Drives: 80 Cutlass 403, 2010 FF RT
Here to get it back on tack

The Challenger is the better car for a DD has a backseat that is better than than the Camaro, Challenger has a truck that will fit most things Camaro doesn't. Challenger has a more comfortable ride for long trips and does not have a bunker feel.
Camaro has 2 main trim levels SS and non SS, unless you have deep pockets for the ZL1,
Challenger has many more trim levels from SXT, RT, RT Scat, SRT that include V6,5.7,392 and if you want to spend more then Hellcat to Redeye.

That just might be one of the factors that have the Challenger outselling the Camaro.

Just drive both of the cars look at the factors that mean the most to you and get the one that checks most of the boxes that you feel matter.

Camaro is too Track focused and I would not be happy having it in a DD role, if I had money to burn and wanted a 2 seat weekend warrior I would think about it.
rocket403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 04:50 PM   #61
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket403 View Post
Here to get it back on tack

The Challenger is the better car for a DD has a backseat that is better than than the Camaro, Challenger has a truck that will fit most things Camaro doesn't. Challenger has a more comfortable ride for long trips and does not have a bunker feel.
Camaro has 2 main trim levels SS and non SS, unless you have deep pockets for the ZL1,
Challenger has many more trim levels from SXT, RT, RT Scat, SRT that include V6,5.7,392 and if you want to spend more then Hellcat to Redeye.

That just might be one of the factors that have the Challenger outselling the Camaro.

Just drive both of the cars look at the factors that mean the most to you and get the one that checks most of the boxes that you feel matter.

Camaro is too Track focused and I would not be happy having it in a DD role, if I had money to burn and wanted a 2 seat weekend warrior I would think about it.
I agree with you on the DD thing, for some the SS works just fine, but I can see it getting tough as an only car for me personally. I am looking for a new DD myself, the DCT in my M has just gotten boring tbh, and the only coupe on my list of new cars is the Challenger for the reasons you point out. It is a very functional, spacious coupe that handles just fine for daily driving duty and has tons of low end torque to have fun within speed limits(or close anyway). The SS is a bit small, and the GT bit weak down low, not compared to my M but still not enough of an upgrade.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:55 PM   #62
ScatPack
Banned

Drives: None at the moment
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
Dude I owned two Challengers starting in early 2009 my bro had a Charger then a SRT. You clearly don't own one if you think a 4400+ LBS car is a " surprising awesome on the road"... LOL that is funny. Maybe instead of "owning" one, you should actually drive one quickly around some curves... on second thought for your safety and the safety of the general public... better NOT.
Yeah sure man. How many Scat pack 392's have you owned? I've owned two 2017 challenger scats, and a 2017 Daytona 392 charger. And yes I have put close to 40k miles on all three combined both pleasure and daily driving. I know exactly how they handle. You owning some horrifying 2009 challenger is nothing near what the new scats are like. Completely different suspension, TC system and drivetrain. Its night and day between a 2010 SRT and a 2017 scat.

Trust me when I say they are not boats in the least.
ScatPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 07:09 PM   #63
ScatPack
Banned

And since we were talking about the 0-60 of these cars. This is what my stock 2017 A8 scat did on the street(45* clear day), on a 305 MT ET Street R drag radial. Just sport mode no manual shifting, and stabbing it from idle. It straight rips. That said, I still want a camaro to replace it. I want something I can autox and road course. I no longer need to DD it, so why keep it when I really want a camaro.
Attached Images

Old 03-07-2019, 09:38 PM   #64
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScatPack View Post
And since we were talking about the 0-60 of these cars. This is what my stock 2017 A8 scat did on the street(45* clear day), on a 305 MT ET Street R drag radial. Just sport mode no manual shifting, and stabbing it from idle. It straight rips. That said, I still want a camaro to replace it. I want something I can autox and road course. I no longer need to DD it, so why keep it when I really want a camaro.
Nice times. The drag radials really help hook and help reduce the 0-60 time. I wonder what it would be on the stock tires?

That said, I've always thought the Challengers look HUGE from the rear. I like the rear taillights, etc., but the entire back end is very "thick" looking.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:09 PM   #65
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Yeah sure man. How many Scat pack 392's have you owned? I've owned two 2017 challenger scats, and a 2017 Daytona 392 charger. And yes I have put close to 40k miles on all three combined both pleasure and daily driving. I know exactly how they handle. You owning some horrifying 2009 challenger is nothing near what the new scats are like. Completely different suspension, TC system and drivetrain. Its night and day between a 2010 SRT and a 2017 scat.

Trust me when I say they are not boats in the least.
I'm gonna have to disagree with you there. They really are big and heavy. You feel every inch and pound on those cars. My ZL1 does not feel like a 4,000 pound car. My Hellcat on the other hand feels every bit of the weight. Does it handle well considering what it was built for? Sure I can agree with that. Does it handle well compared to it's competition? Absolutely not. My Hellcat struggles around corners at the same speeds that my ZL1 is wanting to go faster and faster. I would compare the Challengers more closely to a SUV than a Camaro in terms of handling. And quite honestly, I think my X5 50i just might be able to keep up with the Hellcat around a corner or two.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 05:47 AM   #66
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
Nice times. The drag radials really help hook and help reduce the 0-60 time. I wonder what it would be on the stock tires?

That said, I've always thought the Challengers look HUGE from the rear. I like the rear taillights, etc., but the entire back end is very "thick" looking.
When I see a Challenger my eye it drawn to how high it sits and the skinny tires. It looks like it's on stilts. That and slab sides.

When I decided to get rid of my 16 SS over the whole A8 transmission shudder thing, I looked at the GT, Scat and M2. I went Camaro again with M6 because it is the best performance bargain available.

Mine is a daily too but my car is more of a commuter car. My wife has a big SUV for those family needs. I can get my luggage in the trunk for business trips, etc.
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 09:31 AM   #67
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I'm gonna have to disagree with you there. They really are big and heavy. You feel every inch and pound on those cars. My ZL1 does not feel like a 4,000 pound car. My Hellcat on the other hand feels every bit of the weight. Does it handle well considering what it was built for? Sure I can agree with that. Does it handle well compared to it's competition? Absolutely not. My Hellcat struggles around corners at the same speeds that my ZL1 is wanting to go faster and faster. I would compare the Challengers more closely to a SUV than a Camaro in terms of handling. And quite honestly, I think my X5 50i just might be able to keep up with the Hellcat around a corner or two.
You are way exaggerating if you are comparing the Hellcat to an SUV. I have on track video of me embarrassing a C7Z in my old Hellcat. Yes that was all driver and yes I am 8 seconds faster in my Camaro, but an SUV would be at least 8 seconds slower than the Hellcat.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:59 AM   #68
ScatPack
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Yeah no. I never said it handles as good as any of the other cars. But its no boat. Its not fear inspiring on the road. Its very composed.

And as for your hellcat, the SP has stiffer 24/7 suspension. I rode in my boss's hellcat and in normal mode, it was like a caddy. In track mode it was sharp.

My scat pack is sharp like that all the time without having adjustable suspension. It doesnt wallow or body roll almost at all. Its more stable than my non PP 2017 Mustang GT was. The challenger is a very well composed car for its size. I dont notice the weight anymore. The car does not scare me in any manner except under WOT on cold or basically any street. I upgraded to 275 wide summer tires, and did not help. Its a burnout machine. With the DRs on there, it would stick and it was awesome. But those tires were $700 a set and only last like 3k street miles. I was DDing so I only used them briefly on the street then only at the track where they hooked like crazy.

The scat is a great car if you need to daily your muscle car, and need room for 5. Or if you are simply in love with the muscle car, straight line performance life. Personally my needs have changed, and I would be happier in a camaro or a corvette. Thats what I came from. And those cars are razor sharp, but punish you on the road in daily commuting. I DDed a 2017 SS 1LE for 4 months about 60 miles a day. That was BRUTAL.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:02 AM   #69
ScatPack
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post

On the stock tires, my best was using launch control and it was 4.6 0-60. Huge difference.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:00 PM   #70
Mrbobcat

Drives: 2016 Mustang GT premium
Quote:
On the stock tires, my best was using launch control and it was 4.6 0-60. Huge difference.
What wheels are you using for the 305's? The wheel size is one of the issues that has me thinking twice about the challenger. I know you can get the dynamics package for slightly wider wheels, but that's an extra 2.2k and over have the cost of going 1320.

IDK, the Camaro is really growing on me though the more I look at it. Plus I could probably get one for a lot less than a Scat. I also heard you can get an extra 2k on trade in if you drive a Mustang.
Mrbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote