Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 03-08-2019, 06:01 PM   #43
nighthawkra

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 NFG metallic
Okay okay... So i just had an oil change and service, there was a recall for some harness, no replacement just beefing up the loom btw, and my car seems very responsive and happy. Noticable difference and my car was only gone for a day. And it didn't bog getting in my steep driveway! Idk wtf is going on
nighthawkra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 06:17 PM   #44
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
OK, didn't want to post this because I thought you guys would think I'm crazy.
Talking about stop and go bog, NOT hard launch bog, That's set and we need to learn how to drive according to Messiah AL.O

I think it comes and goes with Key Cycles. Can't explain it however, I can take a few short trips a day and depending on the key cycle its better or worse.
Maybe a wacky sensor or software glitch?

-Bobby
Old 03-09-2019, 08:48 AM   #45
BlueinTN

Drives: gas powered
Dunno if this is mentioned, but are you driving with the AC totally off right now since temps are mild. AC clutch engagement gave Toyota fits for years in all there vehicles. Just a long shot.
BlueinTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 01:12 PM   #46
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueinTN View Post
Dunno if this is mentioned, but are you driving with the AC totally off right now since temps are mild. AC clutch engagement gave Toyota fits for years in all there vehicles. Just a long shot.
Not a bad idea...I do have a/c set to Auto, but if it isn't running as much?

Part of the temps being lower are also the intake charge being denser coming into the engine too.

I'm half-expecting to turn the car on tomorrow when the weather is cleared up and having the bog come back.
F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 01:24 PM   #47
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I haven't looked at a new ZL1 with my HPTuners, but I can tell you that I've seen spark options to assist in smoothing out the feeling of the engine with the A/C clutch engages. I don't know if ZL1's PCM has this (I'm sure it does), but it seems that GM's engineers would've sorted that out before releasing the car.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 06:16 PM   #48
BlueinTN

Drives: gas powered
alotta of my buddies run Toyota trucks and what years I cant remember when the AC kicked in at idle the truck would "runaway" even with the brakes on. it was not pleasant in parking lots.

Long shot I am really just guessing. I have so few miles on mine I dont want to say anything until I get some miles under my belt.

Also alot of shift cars have a CDV(orfice) in the hydraulic line to the clutch slave cylinder to keep driveline shock down. I never pulled one apart but I hear thats a night and day thing with the clutch feel.
BlueinTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 08:12 PM   #49
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueinTN View Post
alotta of my buddies run Toyota trucks and what years I cant remember when the AC kicked in at idle the truck would "runaway" even with the brakes on. it was not pleasant in parking lots.

Long shot I am really just guessing. I have so few miles on mine I dont want to say anything until I get some miles under my belt.

Also alot of shift cars have a CDV(orfice) in the hydraulic line to the clutch slave cylinder to keep driveline shock down. I never pulled one apart but I hear thats a night and day thing with the clutch feel.
The M6 challenger Hellcats have a rubber grommet in the hydraulic clutch line that most guys remove. I wonder if the Camaro has the same thing.

I haven’t removed it on my Hellcat, but like you stated, those that have removed it said it greatly improves the clutch.

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 09:25 PM   #50
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Didn’t the 4th Gen Z28s have an orifice in the hydraulic clutch line?
I’m pretty sure it did and I bet the new ones have it.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 09:59 PM   #51
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Mosst new cars have some sort of flow restrictor in the clutch line to limit how fast clutch can engage.. ie preserve driveline.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 06:30 AM   #52
Alain

Now that I think about it, the restriction in the clutch’s hydraulic line is not the issue we are experiencing with the Zl1.

With our cars the issue seems to be with throttle response, which then affects the clutch engagement.

I’ve said it before and I’ll throw it out there again. I think the active rev match feature in our cars has something to do with this throttle response issue. Even when it’s turned off.

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Old 03-10-2019, 11:34 AM   #53
jvandy50

Drives: 18 ZL1-1LE, 10 JKU
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain View Post
Now that I think about it, the restriction in the clutch’s hydraulic line is not the issue we are experiencing with the Zl1.

With our cars the issue seems to be with throttle response, which then affects the clutch engagement.

I’ve said it before and I’ll throw it out there again. I think the active rev match feature in our cars has something to do with this throttle response issue. Even when it’s turned off.
I also feel like the rev match is involved, because it feels similar to when you go from 2nd to neutral and it thinks it should rev match, then all the sudden cuts out...sounds almost like something with a carburetor that’s flooded.

I hate that this issue alone makes me want to get tuned. I just know it’ll fix it.
jvandy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 05:07 PM   #54
Alain

At least when our warranties expire and we tune these things we should be clear of this none sense

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

Old 03-12-2019, 09:09 AM   #55
KevinTernes

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
I had a 16 SS and now have a 19 ZL1, both with M6. I have never encountered this bog.

Edit: someone above mentioned Rev Matching. I never use it.

Last edited by KevinTernes; 03-12-2019 at 09:27 AM.
KevinTernes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:16 PM   #56
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain View Post
The M6 challenger Hellcats have a rubber grommet in the hydraulic clutch line that most guys remove. I wonder if the Camaro has the same thing.

I haven’t removed it on my Hellcat, but like you stated, those that have removed it said it greatly improves the clutch.
I will not remove it on my Hellcat either. I doubt they would appreciate it if I needed warranty work so it's gonna stay.

GM really needs to address this issue. I do feel like GM makes the best performance cars and they do it without having to completely redesign the entire car after 3 years like the Mustang always has to. But I also think that has gone to their heads at GM and they've become arrogant to the point that they are not listening to their customers. Or perhaps they aren't really taking data from surveys and group testings seriously. If they keep this nonsense up then I do believe that their sales will eventually get low enough that it will be an issue. They need to step off their pedestal, take a step back, and listen to what their consumers have to say. This bog issue has been going on way too long. If it was just that and nothing else then I wouldn't say much. But when you factor in that the vast majority of people thought the redesign was hideous, the vast majority of people complain about visibility, the A8 trans shudder, and the bog issue, you gotta wonder exactly what the hell is going on that they aren't taking these things seriously. Because I swear to God, I left from Mustangs because there were way too many issues with them. If GM continues this course with the Camaro then they're gonna lose 1 customer and I'll just go to Dodge or BMW.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote