Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 06-30-2020, 11:43 AM   #1
JessicasCamaro

Drives: 2018 1SS
Lightbulb DIY: Heated Mirrors Upgrade (Wiring Harness)

I can't tell you all how much I love heated mirrors - it's a silly thing, but to me, they're the best. I did a similar upgrade on my 2013 1LT thanks to a DIY write up by Yzark99. While that project on the 2013 model ended up being plug-and-play, it wasn't quite that easy on my 2018 1SS.

After researching and troubleshooting with my better half, we discovered it's not as tough as we expected - he whipped up a wiring harness and boom, those mirrors are clearing off mist/moisture (but not frost yet, since it's June ) as expected.

Here are the materials used:
  • OEM side mirrors (purchased from eBay)
    (As an aside, I couldn't find any listed to fit a 2016-2018 Camaro, but did find them listed as fitting the 2019+ models...they fit fine.)
  • T-Taps with Quick Disconnects
  • Inline Fuse Holder
  • 10 amp ATO Fuse
  • Yellow crimp butt splice connector (with heat shrink)
  • Electrical crimpers
  • Lighter for the heat shrink

Thanks to KirkH for the write up on removing/replacing the mirrors themselves, I won't get into that again here:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=483340

Some backstory on the troubleshooting efforts for those interested:

• I installed the mirrors hoping to have the same good fortune as the 5th gen project (plug-and-play) but quickly found they weren't coming on with the rear defroster
  • After consulting the wiring diagram on the service manual CD (also an eBay purchase) I realized the OEM mirrors have a dedicated fuse in the trunk fuse box. I got excited and dashed out to the car - saw no fuse in the slot and thought it was going to be as simple as dropping a fuse in - but sadly, no, that slot in the fuse box is blank/has no connections
  • From there, I fully expected to have to run wire from the doors to the trunk to get them going, so we put the project off for a few months but when I finally got bored enough to take the door panel apart again, things got interesting.
  • We discovered that the wires from the wiring diagram were indeed in place (not just on the mirrors, but on the car side as well). After testing continuity in several places, we found that the wires were run all the way back to the fuse box (just not terminated in the box itself) - which meant the wiring would be minimal
  • Using the above supplies, he built a wiring harness which I will detail below. If you're a visual person like me, please refer to the attached diagrams - it'll probably make a lot more sense

Building the Wiring Harness (see diagram):
  • Start with an inline fuse holder and a 10 amp fuse (the ones linked above are the exact ones we found at our local O'Reilly's)
  • On one end of the fuse holder, use your electrical crimpers to attach a yellow quick disconnect
  • On the opposite end of the fuse holder, use a yellow crimp butt splice connector (with heat shrink) to attach two short wires (we used what we had on hand - black 14 gauge). Use a lighter to seal the heat shrink.
  • On the end of each of the two new wires, attach an appropriately sized quick disconnect (blue fits 14 gauge)
  • Congratulate yourself, you just built a wiring harness

Connecting the Wiring Harness (see photos):
  • Connect a yellow t-tap to the brown/violet wire at pin 49 on the fuse box. Once connected, plug the yellow quick disconnect into the t-tap.
  • Connect a red t-tap to each of the brown/yellow wires (located at pins 26 and 42 in the fuse box). Once connected, plug the two remaining quick disconnects to the t-taps.
  • Ensure everything is securely connected and tuck it into the fuse box, put the cover back on, and reassemble your trunk.
  • Get excited when your mirrors defrost/defog when you turn the rear defroster on

I've gained lots of knowledge from this forum in the last several years, so I hope this contribution will help someone else!
Attached Images

Last edited by JessicasCamaro; 06-30-2020 at 12:19 PM.
JessicasCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 09:32 PM   #2
Drew145022

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Vert
Has anyone else tried this??? I would love if anyone can confirm this.... I don’t understand wiring so I can copy the pics but it’s not cold enough for me to test this
Drew145022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 04:52 AM   #3
JessicasCamaro

I can confirm mine are still working and have been getting quite the workout this winter, but sounds like my experience may not be enough evidence for you. They will also defog on humid mornings, so you won't have to wait on frost to confirm functionality.

Last edited by JessicasCamaro; 02-22-2021 at 05:30 AM.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:21 PM   #4
oOKhanhOo

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
The OEM side mirrors has to be from a 2SS?
oOKhanhOo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:11 AM   #5
JessicasCamaro

To my knowledge the the 2SS did include the heated mirrors, but I believe they were also available (maybe as a package?) on some of the other trim models as well. I purchased mine on eBay.
Old 10-17-2023, 12:17 PM   #6
sviveen

Drives: 2022 Camaro 1LT Coupe RS
Does anybody know if there is heated mirror glass available that doesn't have the blind spot indicators on it? So far I can only find them for the 6th gen either as "mirror only" without heat or any other options, or as "fully loaded" so it isn't only just heated but also has the auto dimming, light sense and the always visible indicator for blind spot warning.

These are the part numbers I've found:

Mirror without any features:
23487737 (left)
23487738 (right)

Mirror with auto dimming and blind spot:
23487740 (left)
23487741 (right)

My concerns with the loaded mirrors are that auto dimming mirrors can turn brown over time (or is that not an issue with these?) and having a non-functional blind spot indicator is not ideal...

Is there maybe an aftermarket manufacturer that makes a set of 6th Gen Camaro mirrors with just heat?
2022 Camaro 1LT Coupe RS, Satin Steel Grey - Black Appearance - Black Wheels (20" Summer / 18" Winter) - Diode Dynamics LED Smoked Side Markers - Smoked Rear Reflectors - K&N Cold Air Intake - Borla ATAK Exhaust
sviveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 01:22 AM   #7
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicasCamaro View Post
To my knowledge the the 2SS did include the heated mirrors, but I believe they were also available (maybe as a package?) on some of the other trim models as well. I purchased mine on eBay.
I'm fairly certain it's always been an all-or-nothing type of differentiation for the SS. The LT's got packages but I believe it only got added if you got a 2LT (not sure about 3LT/anything 2019+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sviveen View Post
Does anybody know if there is heated mirror glass available that doesn't have the blind spot indicators on it? So far I can only find them for the 6th gen either as "mirror only" without heat or any other options, or as "fully loaded" so it isn't only just heated but also has the auto dimming, light sense and the always visible indicator for blind spot warning.

These are the part numbers I've found:

Mirror without any features:
23487737 (left)
23487738 (right)

Mirror with auto dimming and blind spot:
23487740 (left)
23487741 (right)

My concerns with the loaded mirrors are that auto dimming mirrors can turn brown over time (or is that not an issue with these?) and having a non-functional blind spot indicator is not ideal...

Is there maybe an aftermarket manufacturer that makes a set of 6th Gen Camaro mirrors with just heat?
Unfortunately for OEM, it's all or nothing in terms of features, those part numbers are probably all the options they have
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 07:10 AM   #8
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
There is also the Asia mirror glass with the Arabic script and the big EU/AS unit, but indeed I don't think a part with only the heater but no auto dimming or blind spot indicators exists, there is no trim it would go into.

I personally wouldn't mind the dead blind spot indicators in this case, esthetically it is a bit weird, but having the heater is probably more important for you, sviveen.

I've had the original auto dimming driver side mirror glass on my 2SS for 5+ years (thanks to GM's penny pinchers, the passenger side isn't auto dimming on any Camaro), and it hasn't turned brown even the slightest bit.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18

Last edited by arpad_m; 10-18-2023 at 07:02 PM.
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 07:55 AM   #9
dfwcowboy

Drives: 2024 ZL1 M6, 1969 Cessna Skylane
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicasCamaro View Post
They came standard on my 2LT and ZL1. Never needed them since they live in a garage in Texas.
dfwcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 09:28 AM   #10
The Maverick
Somewhere in the Kalahari

Drives: 2021/18 (de-fresh) 3LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbleboy92 View Post
I'm fairly certain it's always been an all-or-nothing type of differentiation for the SS. The LT's got packages but I believe it only got added if you got a 2LT (not sure about 3LT/anything 2019+)
My 2021 3LT has the "fully loaded" side-view mirrors.
The Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote