Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Regional Sections > USA - Texas

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-11-2017, 07:34 AM   #1
Vintage

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Good dealer in Austin for Service?

I am giving up on my current dealer as they have serious service issues. So, no bashing will ensue even though they have earned it. Can anyone hear give me some good recommendations on a new dealer for service in Austin? I need one that has experience with track cars.

Thank you to all on this forum in advance. I love Chevrolet of DETROIT, but not a fan of the local dealer I have been using.
Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:34 AM   #2
FLO-RS

Drives: 2010 Honda Fit Sport 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
I am giving up on my current dealer as they have serious service issues. So, no bashing will ensue even though they have earned it. Can anyone hear give me some good recommendations on a new dealer for service in Austin? I need one that has experience with track cars.

Thank you to all on this forum in advance. I love Chevrolet of DETROIT, but not a fan of the local dealer I have been using.
I don't have my Camaro yet, but it would be good to know for future reference which area dealer you have had service issues with?
FLO-RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:48 AM   #3
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
My little sister lives in Austin, with that as large as that city is I would think there has to be several dealership brands there. I would find one that is knowledgeable in the Corvettes as they have a similar track prep guide.

Gotta remember, the 1LE is a boutique model to some degree. Not many dealer see them, even less have owners who come in wanting the track prep done for what the car was built to do. Most dealers think the 1LE package is just an appearance package.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:44 AM   #4
Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
My little sister lives in Austin, with that as large as that city is I would think there has to be several dealership brands there. I would find one that is knowledgeable in the Corvettes as they have a similar track prep guide.

Gotta remember, the 1LE is a boutique model to some degree. Not many dealer see them, even less have owners who come in wanting the track prep done for what the car was built to do. Most dealers think the 1LE package is just an appearance package.
SO TRUE!!! I would go to my track prep shop, ATX Autosport, but I do not want Chevy claiming I have voided my warranty.

As for the dealer, I am moving on from Autonation Chevrolet West Austin.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:38 PM   #5
FLO-RS

Drives: 2010 Honda Fit Sport 5MT
Quote:
Thanks for that. The guys at Capitol Chevrolet seem cool but obviously I have never dealt with their service dept.
FLO-RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:02 AM   #6
Iano

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Quote:
SO TRUE!!! I would go to my track prep shop, ATX Autosport, but I do not want Chevy claiming I have voided my warranty.

So weird, I've been recommending that service department to folks in ATX for years. I've had 4 GM vehicles, 2 of them high performance that I've taken there since 2007. I actually live in South Austin and drive my cars up North just to use that service department. I think the only time I ever had an issue was when they didn't realize there were lug nut caps on my GTO wheels and messed a few up, they were super apologetic and ordered me a brand new set. I chose them originally because they were one of the larger vette shops in town, dunno if that's still the case. Good luck in your search, let us know where you land and how you feel the service compares.
Iano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 11:38 AM   #7
Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iano View Post
So weird, I've been recommending that service department to folks in ATX for years. I've had 4 GM vehicles, 2 of them high performance that I've taken there since 2007. I actually live in South Austin and drive my cars up North just to use that service department. I think the only time I ever had an issue was when they didn't realize there were lug nut caps on my GTO wheels and messed a few up, they were super apologetic and ordered me a brand new set. I chose them originally because they were one of the larger vette shops in town, dunno if that's still the case. Good luck in your search, let us know where you land and how you feel the service compares.
Look - they try BUT it is clear that they do not maintain track cars. It is probably me and not them as I expect them to do as I ask and they never do. Example, I said, check torque on sway bars - they said, no need as all looks good. I then go to COTA and sway bar linkage comes loose. Not happy. I say, change the front brake pads because I have three days at COTA coming up and they are getting thin - won't last the weekend and not worth the risk to calipers. They say, we didn't do it because not at the wear indicator yet. I fight with them over the type of oil having to show them the HP supplement, etc. They just do not accept, that as to tracking cars, they need to do what I ask because maintaining track cars versus DDs is a very different animal. I am not mad, just want a dealer that has a mechanic in the back that really knows how to maintain a track car.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:30 PM   #8
Iano

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Quote:
Look - they try BUT it is clear that they do not maintain track cars. It is probably me and not them as I expect them to do as I ask and they never do. Example, I said, check torque on sway bars - they said, no need as all looks good. I then go to COTA and sway bar linkage comes loose. Not happy. I say, change the front brake pads because I have three days at COTA coming up and they are getting thin - won't last the weekend and not worth the risk to calipers. They say, we didn't do it because not at the wear indicator yet. I fight with them over the type of oil having to show them the HP supplement, etc. They just do not accept, that as to tracking cars, they need to do what I ask because maintaining track cars versus DDs is a very different animal. I am not mad, just want a dealer that has a mechanic in the back that really knows how to maintain a track car.
That's fair, I've never used them for anything but standard servicing and repair and I have not taken my car to a track before. As long as the prep guide is followed to the letter and you have proof/documentation I don't see how a warranty claim would be denied for having the work done by a 3rd party, but given GM's recent claim scrutiny I can appreciate not wanting to risk it.
Iano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 11:59 AM   #9
encoreman

Drives: Hyper Blue 1SS Ready to order
My car is at Henna Chevrolet

My eLSD had a leak. They don't seem very knowledgable about high performance cars. Nice enough folks. I plan on only going there for warranty stuff. Smileys auto in Buda is where I plan on taking my car for anything other than warranty. 512-361-0972
encoreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:12 PM   #10
Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by encoreman View Post
My eLSD had a leak. They don't seem very knowledgable about high performance cars. Nice enough folks. I plan on only going there for warranty stuff. Smileys auto in Buda is where I plan on taking my car for anything other than warranty. 512-361-0972
Agreed, for track prep and maintenance, I am going to ATX Autosport from now on as they have done a great job on my other cars. Warranty, Chevy is fine.