Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-16-2021, 12:34 PM   #127
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
FYI
I bought a transmission jack at Harbor Freight. One man Tremec clutch change.
That's a nice piece of gear. What was the price? That's what I love about HF. You can buy very special equipment so cheap it pays for itself in one use!

BTW, this manual vs auto debate always neglects to mention price.
I would've most likely gone A8 had it not cost about $2k more than M6. Glad I didn't given the A8 issues.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 12:35 PM   #128
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurmaro View Post
I'll just make this short & simple.

What do you people prefer? I'd like to hear pros and cons, and maybe some debates.
I "prefer" a stick and set out to order one but my dealer talked me out of it because of resale. It's widely accepted that the A10 is faster, and I usually drive mine in manual.
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 12:40 PM   #129
JoeCamaro444

Drives: 2018 2SS M6 Hot Wheels Camaro
Transmission choice was simple for me:

If it’s in my daily driver, it’s gotta be an auto. Too much traffic in MA.

If it’s in my fun weekend and nice weather car, it’s gotta be a manual.

Now, when I was 20-30 years old, I had some daily drivers with manuals, but I was younger and my daily drives weren’t the same.
1988 IROC-Z (tons of mods), 1995 Z28, 1998 Z28, 2006 GTO, 2010 Camaro 1SS, 2015 Subaru STI, a couple Acuras and multiple Jeeps.
JoeCamaro444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 09:34 PM   #130
Srt-cuatro

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
M6 in DFW traffic is easy. I have driven manuals in Honolulu traffic, LA traffic, and San Diego traffic. It never bothered me that I was driving a manual it bothered me that I was in f traffic. In a great road an automatic will NEVER feel as good as a manual, unless you drive a BMW.
Srt-cuatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 11:42 AM   #131
VA1LE

Drives: Pontiac GTO
I'm a 78 old newbie to the Forum so here is my two cents worth. In 1985 I ordered a Corvette with the infamous 4+3 manual trans. When I test drove the Vette the transmission would not down-shift from third to second there were other problems with the Z-51 Vett so the dealer agreed to reorder a replacement '85 Vett. This time I specified an automatic transmission and the base suspension. When it arrived, it had none of the problems the previous car had, however I was not satisfied with the automatic, it was just another car. Although I had paid for the Corvette, I drove it on the dealer's tags for a couple of months, never titled it and let the dealer have it back. It was not a sports car without a manual transmission. I have since owned a number of Corvettes most of which did not offer an automatic, a 96 Gran Sport, 3 Zr-1/ZR1s, and 2 Z06s. Not a manual in the group!

I recently ordered a 2022 Camaro 2SS, 1LE and guess what, I specified a MN6 manual Transmission.

My daily drivers are either a Chevrolet Impala or a Mercedes E350 4Matic, both with automatic transmissions and I would have them no other way, even if I could have a manual in either. It is nature of the beast!

Last edited by VA1LE; 02-19-2022 at 01:38 PM. Reason: I had a couple of typos, didn't take time to proofread, as I had a funeral to attend. Too many of those recently.
VA1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 01:42 PM   #132
sactownbwoy

Drives: '22 Camaro ZL1 1LE A10
I'm not chasing the fastest laps at a track or anything like that. I prefer manuals in all my cars. For me trying in SoCal traffic with a manual is not problem. My LT1 is my daily and when I was shopping for a new car last year, my only requirements were V8 and manual.

I owned a '94 RX7 and '94 Silvia S14 in Japan and both were manuals. The traffic out there can be just as bad as some places in the states. If the car is sporty and has an option for a manual, I'm taking it.
sactownbwoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 01:25 PM   #133
Crushin_LT1

Drives: 2021 LT1 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srt-cuatro View Post
M6 in DFW traffic is easy. I have driven manuals in Honolulu traffic, LA traffic, and San Diego traffic. It never bothered me that I was driving a manual it bothered me that I was in f traffic. In a great road an automatic will NEVER feel as good as a manual, unless you drive a BMW.
I have always been a manual guy, even in this DC traffic. I just drive smart and avoid ever going into DC proper.
Old 03-30-2022, 07:26 PM   #134
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srt-cuatro View Post
The A10 is just a faster version of the M6 without the clutch pedal.
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 07:22 PM   #135
Mohawk_1SS

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS M6
Long thread here, but thought I'd share my perspective anyway.

Just to set the stage a bit, I currently own two stick shift cars. A 2019 camaro SS, and a 2011 subaru outback (4 cylinder), and drive both about equally depending on the weather (camaro is garaged about 4-5 months a year, but the subbie sees some use in the summer months).

With the camaro, I've always thought stick shift cars were cool. My previous car was a stick shift and I enjoyed it greatly, and I genuinely get satisfaction on being able to shift smoothly, precisely, and quickly, or nailing the launch at the drag strip. Heck, even though the car has auto rev match, i've probably only had it turned on for a grand total of 10 minutes in the last 3 years of ownership. I am well aware that the autos are smoother and faster than I'll ever be in a manual, but you can't really feel a couple tenths of a second in the seat of the pants (at least not in a way that makes up for the loss of engagement). To me, saying the A10 is the best of both worlds because you can tell the computer which gear to shift to is absurd. That's like saying wii baseball is the best of video games and baseball; I'll feel a lot better about cranking one over the road in real life than a video game. While certainly think I would still enjoy the car if it was an Auto, I would definitely have regrets not going with the 6 speed. As far as living with the car on a daily basis, it's a v8 with a broad torque curve. At any given speed, I can be in about 3 different gears and the car will still drive fine. The clutch is easy, and in stop and go traffic, its a minor annoyance at worst. I've never driven it in LA where the traffic jams are legendary, but I've been through DC rush hour, and it wasn't exactly a slog. All of this is more work than if it were an auto, but its all second nature and the car is so forgiving, that it doesn't really feel like a downside for the 6 speed.

With the subaru, I have to drive the darn thing perfectly just to keep up with traffic and avoid getting run off the road. The car has a lazy thorttle response even in neutral, no torque below about 2.8k rpms, and i die a little on the onside knowing that I have to keep the engine over 4k rpms just to catch up to the speed of traffic at the end of the on-ramps around here. Stop and go traffic is miserable (see no torque comment above), and i find the gearing awkward. Since its a slow car, the only thing I'm ever thinking about while driving it is getting to point B, so none of the positives I discussed for the camaro are anywhere near the front of my mind while driving the subaru. The only real positive I can say about getting the subaru with a manual is that the added degree of control I get while driving in snow is very nice. I think some people imagine that having to have control over two feet instead of one makes an already challenging driving condition harder, but it really does greatly increase the precision of when and how much torque is applied (very helpful when rapidly switching from reverse to first to try to rock out of a rut.)

Bottom Line/TLDR:

The M6 camaro (at least the ss), is an incredibly easy car to live with on a daily basis, and what I enjoy about the manual can't be replicated by a selectable automatic transmission. The extra performance of the A10 is not worth what I'd be losing in the manual for me.

In the wrong car, all the cons to a manual will be magnified, and the pros will be a distant thought. And while I have my preferences, its not incomprehensible to me that a genuine car guy won't care about any of the points I discussed above, and for their own reasons decide an A10 is best for them.

Last edited by Mohawk_1SS; 04-06-2022 at 07:51 PM.
Mohawk_1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 10:29 PM   #136
synolimit

Drives: 22 ZL1 1LE A10
I’m over stick but I’m not in love with the auto. I’m coming from a real dual clutch auto and the difference is night and day! A dual clutch and the hard shifts like a manual are just amazing. This A10 just shifts, it’s smooth, but not awe inspiring or fun.
synolimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 10:31 PM   #137
GAOLDGUY

Drives: 2012 GMC Sierra, 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Well Written

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohawk_1SS View Post
Long thread here, but thought I'd share my perspective anyway.

Just to set the stage a bit, I currently own two stick shift cars. A 2019 camaro SS, and a 2011 subaru outback (4 cylinder), and drive both about equally depending on the weather (camaro is garaged about 4-5 months a year, but the subbie sees some use in the summer months).

With the camaro, I've always thought stick shift cars were cool. My previous car was a stick shift and I enjoyed it greatly, and I genuinely get satisfaction on being able to shift smoothly, precisely, and quickly, or nailing the launch at the drag strip. Heck, even though the car has auto rev match, i've probably only had it turned on for a grand total of 10 minutes in the last 3 years of ownership. I am well aware that the autos are smoother and faster than I'll ever be in a manual, but you can't really feel a couple tenths of a second in the seat of the pants (at least not in a way that makes up for the loss of engagement). To me, saying the A10 is the best of both worlds because you can tell the computer which gear to shift to is absurd. That's like saying wii baseball is the best of video games and baseball; I'll feel a lot better about cranking one over the road in real life than a video game. While certainly think I would still enjoy the car if it was an Auto, I would definitely have regrets not going with the 6 speed. As far as living with the car on a daily basis, it's a v8 with a broad torque curve. At any given speed, I can be in about 3 different gears and the car will still drive fine. The clutch is easy, and in stop and go traffic, its a minor annoyance at worst. I've never driven it in LA where the traffic jams are legendary, but I've been through DC rush hour, and it wasn't exactly a slog. All of this is more work than if it were an auto, but its all second nature and the car is so forgiving, that it doesn't really feel like a downside for the 6 speed.

With the subaru, I have to drive the darn thing perfectly just to keep up with traffic and avoid getting run off the road. The car has a lazy thorttle response even in neutral, no torque below about 2.8k rpms, and i die a little on the onside knowing that I have to keep the engine over 4k rpms just to catch up to the speed of traffic at the end of the on-ramps around here. Stop and go traffic is miserable (see no torque comment above), and i find the gearing awkward. Since its a slow car, the only thing I'm ever thinking about while driving it is getting to point B, so none of the positives I discussed for the camaro are anywhere near the front of my mind while driving the subaru. The only real positive I can say about getting the subaru with a manual is that the added degree of control I get while driving in snow is very nice. I think some people imagine that having to have control over two feet instead of one makes an already challenging driving condition harder, but it really does greatly increase the precision of when and how much torque is applied (very helpful when rapidly switching from reverse to first to try to rock out of a rut.)

Bottom Line/TLDR:

The M6 camaro (at least the ss), is an incredibly easy car to live with on a daily basis, and what I enjoy about the manual can't be replicated by a selectable automatic transmission. The extra performance of the A10 is not worth what I'd be losing in the manual for me.

In the wrong car, all the cons to a manual will be magnified, and the pros will be a distant thought. And while I have my preferences, its not incomprehensible to me that a genuine car guy won't care about any of the points I discussed above, and for their own reasons decide an A10 is best for them.
This is an excellent response. I fully intend to use your video game analogy as that is probably the most applicable have seen to date. I've only had one muscle car with an automatic. I was 15 when I purchased that car (1970 Challenger R/T - 440 - 46 years ago) and I remember wishing it had a 4 speed. I sold it when I was in college and the guy put a 4 speed in the car. Go figure...
GAOLDGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 03:01 AM   #138
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
manually shifting an automatic transmission is the same thing as driving a manual transmission.
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2022, 05:30 AM   #139
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Hahaha
I see auto Camaros losing to cars they shouldn’t on YouTube.

And they are manually shifting them. Then told to not do that by passenger, and say yeah I know but I want to feel like I’m doing something.

I love the auto in these cars but that shit makes no sense
Old 04-19-2022, 05:47 AM   #140
Gen6cyl

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2021 ,rs, v6, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
manually shifting an automatic transmission is the same thing as driving a manual transmission.
lol , exactly.Might as well drive a Camry.
Gen6cyl is offline   Reply With Quote