Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-04-2018, 08:12 PM   #1
Camaro_QC

Drives: 08 Tiburon GS, 2018 Camaro 2.0T
Overall dimension - door opened.

Hey guys.

As some of you may know, I am planing out my purchase of a 6th gen Camaro.

I do have a garage that I use for woodworking, but I am not really using it during winter (too hard to keep it warm enough because of our cold winter). I am acting planning my layout for the workshop, and I'd like to see if I can fit the car there during the winter time when I'm not driving it.

Does anybody know what is the dimension between the side of the car and the end of the door when it is opened (not necessarily fully opened, but enough to get out of the car)? Is it possible for someone to take the dimension?

The garage is somewhat small, but I'd love to be able to make it fit.

Thanks for all your help.
Attached Images

Camaro_QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:26 PM   #2
Lerch98

Drives: 2017 2SS black on black on black.
measure from outside of mirror to outside of mirror with a tape measure passed through the passenger compartment.
And
then measure from outside passenger mirror to edge of fully opened driver side door. This you kinda need to eyeball.

I just went though this with one of my cars to park it in a barn. Had to squeeze through the door opening and wanted to make sure I could get in and out of the car (without scratching). IIRC the width was seven feet. The door opening was 7 feet 6.
Lerch98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:32 PM   #3
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
You’ll need two feet beyond the mirrors for each door swing open to the first stop and not hit the wall.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:37 PM   #4
Camaro_QC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerch98 View Post
measure from outside of mirror to outside of mirror with a tape measure passed through the passenger compartment.
And
then measure from outside passenger mirror to edge of fully opened driver side door. This you kinda need to eyeball.

I just went though this with one of my cars to park it in a barn. Had to squeeze through the door opening and wanted to make sure I could get in and out of the car (without scratching). IIRC the width was seven feet. The door opening was 7 feet 6.
If I had a Camaro I would grab the dimensions haha. I haven't bought it yet so that's why I am asking you guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
You’ll need two feet beyond the mirrors for each door swing open to the first stop and not hit the wall.
When the door is opened to the first stop, it is fairly easy to get out?

I actually have a Hyundai Tiburon and when the door is opened at the first door stop, it is doable but not that easy, these doors are pretty long.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:53 PM   #5
ChangerOfWays

Drives: 2017 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_QC View Post
I commonly get out with the door opened to only the first stop, and I don't find it too difficult. The only thing I do is go slower when swinging my right leg out, so I don't accidentally kick or scuff the door panel.

For reference I'm 6'2" and I don't use the eject mode seat positioning (I just have it set to my standard position).
ChangerOfWays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:53 PM   #6
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Yes @ 6’ and 240 lbs it’s easy enough. No different than parking in any normal lot where you won’t have room for the full door swing. My 3rd garage bay door has 3” of clearance to the mirrors on each side. I can only open the driver door to the first stop. 2nd stop will hit my wife’s car.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:21 PM   #7
closs2sx

Drives: 1970 chevelle
if you are just parking for winter you can use a jack to get car as close as you can on passenger side to the wall on passenger side or if the garage is a little longer jockey the car pulling back and forth to inch over as much as possible
Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
Crystal Red Tint Coat/Black Wheels
Exposed Carbon Fiber Insert
6 Spd Manual
closs2sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:39 PM   #8
Magnum922

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, A8
Just put a foam parking pad or liquid nail a cut open piece of foam pipe insulation to the drivers side wallof the garage so you can squeeze out of the car without having to open the csr door on the first stop. It works for tight garages.
Magnum922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:41 PM   #9
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
One more thing you can do to make sure you or your passenger doesn't ding the door edge when accidentally throwing it open beyond the first stop (trust me, it will happen, and it only needs to once) is buy a wall protector.

I have this in my garage and it works very well: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:57 AM   #10
Camaro_QC

Thanks guys for the help.

I'll be able, according to my plans, to have around 3 feet of clearance on the driver side if I get close enough on the passenger side. And I am only 5'9" so I should not have a problem if you guys are taller and are OK.

This will only serve as a parking spot when there will be a snowstorm or something like that. I plan on using the car during winter, but mainly when the weather will be OK. If not, the Tiburon will get to deal with the snow.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:51 AM   #11
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_QC View Post

No, it is not. Don't kid yourself. You can probably train yourself to be careful and keep some microfibers and other things around to help deal with the scuffs on the interior plastic and other stuff, but you have to kind of lift your legs and feet up and turn at the same time to get out and in, it is not "fairly easy", as cars go, it's more towards the "fairly difficult" spectrum. We are sometimes blinded by our purchase, getting in and out is more difficult and you compound this by using the first stop, visibility sucks, and so on. We live with this because it's a badass car.
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote