Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-16-2018, 09:34 AM   #43
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitespeed View Post
I don't miss the hand brake at all. I grew up driving RWD cars in the snow. If I wanted the car to rotate more, I just stepped on the gas. I only ever needed a hand brake to get FWD cars to rotate.

That said, I do wish there was a light built into the toggle that would come on and stay on to verify it was engaged. That, or just have the toggle latch in an obvious UP position to make it clear that it's on. Then pull again to release. I do check the dash light, but sometimes I forget when I'm in a hurry, and I have to waste time turning the ignition back on to double check.
Yup, I 1st saw the eebrake and was like wtf? Then remembered it's a rwd v8 so I can just hit the gas instead.

There is a light on the dash, an orange "PARK" is on when the eebrake is engaged.
DaveC113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:49 AM   #44
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
I like the functionality, I just hate where the button is and how it works. You have to awkwardly pull you hand back to touch it, and then it just doesn't seem intuitive to pull back on it to set it.
It's still less functional than a hand-operated P-brake lever - you have no ability to modulate how hard the P-brake gets applied. Never mind the matter of having it go inop in the 'applied' position.

My wife's Subie has an e-Pbrake, and living in flatland South Jersey I never use it unless I'm getting out of the car while leaving the engine running, or parked on too much slope for engine friction and compression to securely hold the car in place.

Whether I put the transmission in 1st or reverse depends on which way any unanticipated car movement when started next (assuming that clutch mechanism failure or left foot slipping off the clutch pedal could occur no matter how unlikely) would result in the lesser "incident".

The reason you got an e-Pbrake was because it's easier to package a switch and some wires than a lever and cables. Not because it's inherently a better arrangement for any other reason (it's not).

Norm
Old 12-16-2018, 12:30 PM   #45
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I have gotten used to mine. When I first bought the car I was reaching for the e-Brake handle instead of pushing on the electronic one. Just takes time to get accustomed to using it and will come in time after driving the car. I see nothing wrong with the new type of e-brake and I like it unless you are going to be drifting etc with the car.
Old 12-16-2018, 01:13 PM   #46
Biscuit.fr

Drives: Red hot ZL1 A10 2017
I like it a lot
But not the automatic disengagement!
Should push the switch whatever before we go.
Independent system not trans related.
Biscuit.fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 04:35 PM   #47
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
With not battery power no ability to put it in neutral. A lot of cars in that situation now.
Unless you have a manual trans. Then you do not need power to put the car in neutral.

And there are a few cases on this forum of batteries failing. So, I would hoped for a manual release somewhere in case of total electrical failure. Doesn't have to be a lever near the shifter, could be a pull cord in the trunk or near the gas filler....
Old 12-16-2018, 04:50 PM   #48
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
Doesn't have to be a lever near the shifter, could be a pull cord in the trunk or near the gas filler....
Don't count on it being anywhere near that easy, if the procedure in the owner's manual where you hold the e-Pbrake button until the indicator light(s) go out doesn't work.

Norm
Old 12-16-2018, 07:37 PM   #49
at7000ft

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVaSS View Post
Agree! HATE electronic parking brakes. Especially on a performance car like the Camaro. I'm sure it was a cost saving measure. Obviously it wasn't a deal breaker for me. But if my car were a daily driver that was going to see winter use it might have been. I can't imagine facing a long, steep, snow covered, downhill road without a proper handbrake. Plus for me it's just an ingrained part of parking a car. Pulling up on that handbrake lever, is just how it is done. Not to mention HANDBRAKE TURNS!
Agree, not just on the Camaro but on any car.
at7000ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 07:45 PM   #50
TrickracenLS3

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
Seems my biggest issue is after I park and go inside I can't remember if I set it or not. Eeeek!. Wish they would put that in our "My Chevy" app. Lock, Unlock, Set Parking Brake, etc etc.
You do realize that if you set it and forgot about it, as soon as your put it into drive and accelerate it disengages.
Current: 2016 Tahoe LT
Current: 2018 Mini Countryman S
TrickracenLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 06:16 AM   #51
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickracenLS3 View Post
You do realize that if you set it and forgot about it, as soon as your put it into drive and accelerate it disengages.
I think Dysan also realizes that his car's shifter doesn't have a 'Drive' position . . .

Norm
Old 12-17-2018, 06:51 AM   #52
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
I would prefer the switch was more of a toggle type, so you have a visual indication that it is set, even if the car is off.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:08 AM   #53
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Actually costs more.

And not sure why you think an old school hand lever makes you feel better about parking your car down hill and really not clear how snow impacts it any more. Do you just pull even harder on your hand brake if there is snow?
Gotta give you this one. Braking only the rear wheels on a slippery downgrade can change from 'directionally stable' to 'directionally unstable' in the blink of an eye. But I think you'll have to agree that without the ability to modulate an e-Pbrake and it being less convenient to de-energize it once applied that this situation gets even worse with an e-Pbrake.

Quote:
The e-park brake simply locks the rear brakes. No cable to stretch or worry about. Just done. I think you guys just need to build your confidence with it.

But you bring up the only real point. If you aren't used to it, it can seem strange. An awful lot of new cars now come with an e-park brake. It enables a better package for the occupant. Also consider many cars had the old foot park brake and it saves that space as well.
I'm not seeing where it makes for a better package for an occupant, unless you're only talking about (non-driving) passengers. Feel free to interpret that in more ways than one.

Quote:
There are so few people that actually need a hand brake for turns that OEMs are simply making use of the space in the console.
Fair enough with respect to turns, at least as far as RWD is concerned. But modulated P-brake use can help you get a RWD car "un-stuck".

Quote:
Also enables e-shift transmissions which the Camaro may get someday.
Bite your tongue (keyboard?).

Quote:
And that Hill Hold feature? I think that is the e-brake as well.
The owner's manual is not clear on this point - it only mentions
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2018 OM
During the transition from releasing the brake pedal to accelerating to drive off on a grade, HSA holds the braking pressure to prevent rolling.
which could be either mechanical pressure via the e-Pbrake or hydraulic pressure in the service brake system (via the ABS system).

Quote:
But no, OP, GM did not make a huge mistake. They just did something you don't like or more specifically, aren't used to yet. I suspect you will in time if this is your first car with the feature.
Like I mentioned a few posts back, I've got almost 9 years experience with one of these things. And it still feels strange and not at all related to what's a purely mechanical task. Just as odd-feeling as it might be to change from one preset radio station to another using a lever or a rotary switch. Wrong type of control for the job.

At best, it plays to those who expect push-button convenience for every task under the sun. At worst, it might be part of the various mfrs' attempts to get people to mentally distance themselves from yet another of the small tasks associated with doing their own driving. Maybe that's OK with your average Buick/Cadillac/Lincoln/upscale-nameplate-of-your-choice buyer, but don't expect the same acceptance among those who specifically buy performance cars for the driving.

Norm
Old 12-17-2018, 09:20 AM   #54
garfin
Resident Disciple

Drives: 2010 CTS-V 6MN '98 Camaro SS (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by irobles3680 View Post
Hi,

My e brake actually failed today, was literally driving when I got an alert on dash that my electronic e brake needed maintanance, I stop and tried to use e brake and nothing car kept moving forward, I drive a manual trans so I was scared as I was at work and couldn’t park car anywhere. After a few restarts car alert went off and enrage worked again, should I be concerned? Thinking about taking to dealer but I have a lot of aftermarket engine parts but nothing on brakes
I have a 2010 CTS-V with a manual transmission - and an e-brake. It took me a bit of time to get used to it and for me, the bottom line is that both e-brake and lever setup have some advantages that the other doesn't.

Just as an FYI for those with manual transmissions, if you leave the car running and exit the car, just make sure the car is not rolling when you open the door and swing your leg out! At least you got a warning on the dash! My situation was that if the car was facing downhill and I pulled up on the switch, it wouldn't take and the car would roll forward with no warning message. It worked just fine however, if the car was facing uphill.
The first time I noticed it didn't hold was when I pulled up to my mail kiosk. Only leaving the car for a few seconds to grab the mail, I left the engine running with the car in neutral, set the e-brake and exited the car. Good thing I turned around to look at the car - only to see it slowly creeping down the road! I didn't even realize that the road sloped down there (very slight slope) but I was very lucky that I had left the door open and was able to jump back in before the car picked up too much speed.
Eventually I figured out that it worked facing up a hill, but not down a hill. The fix was the same as a mechanical e-brake with a lever! Take off the rear wheels and adjust the little brake shoes back there that prevent the wheels from turning. There's a YouTube video showing how on a 1st Gen V (same setup)

Cheers,

Elie
Old 12-17-2018, 09:36 AM   #55
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by irobles3680 View Post
Hi,

My e brake actually failed today, was literally driving when I got an alert on dash that my electronic e brake needed maintanance, I stop and tried to use e brake and nothing car kept moving forward, I drive a manual trans so I was scared as I was at work and couldn’t park car anywhere. After a few restarts car alert went off and enrage worked again, should I be concerned? Thinking about taking to dealer but I have a lot of aftermarket engine parts but nothing on brakes
For now, just park the car on the flattest portion of the lot that you can find. Flattest meaning more in the front to back direction than parking "side-hill".

Leave the transmission in 1st or reverse (should be doing this anyway).

You'll be fine everywhere except steeper front-back slopes.

Norm
Old 12-17-2018, 09:40 AM   #56
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post

Fair enough with respect to turns, at least as far as RWD is concerned. But modulated P-brake use can help you get a RWD car "un-stuck".

Norm
Traction control will do this for us now.
DaveC113 is offline   Reply With Quote