Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-08-2018, 08:16 AM   #1
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Warranty: New dealer advises of possible charge if...

...repair is related to improper install from old dealer...

First time I've run across this, shouldnt ANYTHING that pertains to the functionality of the vehicle be covered up to 36k miles so long as the issue was not deliberately caused by the owner? previous repair regardless who did it should still be covered under warranty across the board.

I took my SS to a different dealer - Don Hewlett in Round Rock TX because my car has been to Autonation for a total of 3 times for issues with my power steering system randomly going out while driving, third time they replaced the rack and now my steering system is popping and clicking whenever I make turns.

They are advising me that if its a repair issue, GM isn't going to cover that and I'd have to go back to Autonation and settle that with them.

I personally find that to be BS, GM should pay for the repair under bumper to bumper under any circumstance and go back to the dealer with that unless the issue is induced by the owner.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:19 AM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
No.....Warrantee is to ensure that any parts that are originally on the car and installed at the factory will be covered for the period of the warranty. If another dealer got in there and started messing around with parts, that's Your problem with the other dealer, not the factory.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:23 AM   #3
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
No.....Warrantee is to ensure that any parts that are originally on the car and installed at the factory will be covered for the period of the warranty. If another dealer got in there and started messing around with parts, that's Your problem with the other dealer, not the factory.
This...

If you had a 3/36 base warranty and you choose to go to autonation instead of a GM dealer then it's autonations problem now. That would be the same as you having engine noise and you yourself going out and taking the head off, messing it up, and then bringing it to GM for them to fix your mistake.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:34 AM   #4
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
Unfortunately that's how it works. When I bought my ZL1 it was nearly impossible to find a dealer with an allocation. The closest dealer with one was about 100 miles away, so that's where I bought it.

The car was delivered during a winter storm and the dealer wasn't able to drive it as part of the pre-delivery-inspection. After driving the car I discovered the alignment was way off. None of the local dealers would touch it because the selling dealer was already paid to inspect and correct the alignment as part of the PDI. I had to take it back to the original dealer.

2023 Camaro SS 1LE A10
2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
2017 Camaro ZL1 M6
2016 Camaro SS M6 w/LT4 (Sold)
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:39 AM   #5
Need4Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsxmatt View Post
This...

If you had a 3/36 base warranty and you choose to go to autonation instead of a GM dealer then it's autonations problem now. That would be the same as you having engine noise and you yourself going out and taking the head off, messing it up, and then bringing it to GM for them to fix your mistake.
Autonation is a GM dealer and thats kind of why it confuses me. If they are all the same shouldn't the warranty cover a dealer fault regardless of which dealer it was so long as they're GM?

All the repairs Autonation did were under GM manufacture warranty, not dealer warranty as I didnt buy this car from Autonation.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:48 AM   #6
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
That's where you're making a mistake. GM doesn't cover dealer mistakes (called "come backs") It covers the car and it's parts involved, when it leaves the factory.

Dealers are independent businessmen, not owned in any way by GM. They sign a dealer agreement with GM to sell their cars, parts and service the cars, nothing more. GM has very little control over specific dealer practices, because of the strong lobbies the dealer network has in all the state governments. It's been that way for 30 years.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:49 AM   #7
DougCBJ

Drives: 2016 Blue 2SS
how does that work for a used car purchase still under the manufacturers warranty?
DougCBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:51 AM   #8
travislambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
That's where you're making a mistake. GM doesn't cover dealer mistakes (called "come backs") It covers the car and it's parts involved, when it leaves the factory.

Dealers are independent businessmen, not owned in any way by GM. They sign a dealer agreement with GM to sell their cars, parts and service the cars, nothing more. GM has very little control over specific dealer practices, because of the strong lobbies the dealer network has in all the state governments. It's been that way for 30 years.
Everything you need to know is in this response.

2023 Camaro SS 1LE A10
2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
2017 Camaro ZL1 M6
Old 10-08-2018, 08:56 AM   #9

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
So during the warranty period you can't move out of state, or go on a long trip and possibly need repair, or away from a dealer that had done some work previously?...I don't think so...If it's warranty work you can take it to any GM dealer world-wide, regardless of where you bought it or if another dealer had previously done warranty work.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:05 AM   #10
travislambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
So during the warranty period you can't move out of state or away from a dealer that had done some work previously?...I don't think so...If it's warranty work you can take it to any GM dealer world-wide, regardless of where you bought it or if another dealer had previously done warranty work.
The difference hinges on whether or not the tech makes a mistake during the initial repair. If the tech does everything correctly you can absolutely take it to another dealer for subsequent work because GM is going to pay for those repairs again. If the tech botches the repair, work done subsequently for the same problem may be at risk for not getting reimbursed by GM, so other dealers may be reluctant to follow that work.

It is 100% up to the dealer if they'd like to take the chance on being reimbursed. You (or GM) can't force a dealer to take on any work they don't want to do.

2023 Camaro SS 1LE A10
2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
2017 Camaro ZL1 M6
Old 10-08-2018, 10:13 AM   #11

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
The difference hinges on whether or not the tech makes a mistake during the initial repair. If the tech does everything correctly you can absolutely take it to another dealer for subsequent work because GM is going to pay for those repairs again. If the tech botches the repair, work done subsequently for the same problem may be at risk for not getting reimbursed by GM, so other dealers may be reluctant to follow that work.

It is 100% up to the dealer if they'd like to take the chance on being reimbursed. You (or GM) can't force a dealer to take on any work they don't want to do.

That's a pretty tough pill for a customer to have to swallow. How in the world are they supposed to know if a mistake was made on the repair or not? All they know is something is not right.

The first dealer says all is well, second one says it's not and not our problem...customer is caught in the middle about who or what to believe. What a lousy warranty system. No wonder customers hate dealers. The system is rigged against them and ripe for rip-off and scams in the dealer's favor.

Oh well, buyer beware.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 12:23 PM   #12
Need4Camaro

Im going to be ticked if this turns out to be an Autonation screw up. Infact I will likely take them to small claims court.. ..honestly Im really tired of this car and steering issue and when I thought it was over my nightmare is only beginning.

Also my attorney isn't willing to file the lemon case against GM because it's going to cost him too much out of pocket and take too long.. ..so I am going to need another lawyer.
Old 10-08-2018, 02:13 PM   #13
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
The first dealer says all is well, second one says it's not and not our problem...customer is caught in the middle about who or what to believe. What a lousy warranty system. No wonder customers hate dealers. The system is rigged against them and ripe for rip-off and scams in the dealer's favor.
You can't fault the second dealer for not wanting to do free work. Dealers have no problem (usually) in taking in any work they can get paid for. If autonation has messed something up, it's their job to fix it.

Now if for some reason you can't go back to autonation, you can call GM and explain the situation and in some cases they will grant work to be done and autonation will be back flagged for previous repairs. But it's also a pain in the butt for the second dealer to get their money also so they may try and refuse it still.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:55 PM   #14
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
my question is, did Autonation use a GM Factory Rack or did they source a re-built unit from Pep Boys?

What is it they say needs to repaired or are they guessing?
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote