Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-16-2017, 12:21 PM   #1
SS2017

Drives: 2SS & GT Premium
No lift shift (manual trans) is making my car backfire, am I doing it wrong?

2017 SS manual transmission. All stock, 2000 miles, always run premium gas.

So I went to the drag strip last week and tried no lift shift for the first time. While it did seem to function and do it's job correctly, every time I would use it, right when I would shift I would get a loud backfire from the car. I thought I was doing it wrong so I stopped. I tried it again when I went back to the drag strip this weekend, and same thing, a loud backfire when I shift. I have the car in competition mode, I am shifting at around 6200-6300 rpm (not hitting the rev limiter), and I am holding the gas to the floor for the whole pass. Not sure what I am doing wrong? But I am afraid of breaking something with the car backfiring like this. When i shift normally, I never get these loud backfire like sounds.

Has anybody else tried this no lift shift feature?

Last edited by SS2017; 03-29-2017 at 01:45 PM.
SS2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 03:23 PM   #2
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
I have the A8 and get the same thing when it shifts under full throttle (lower gears). Several people have posted on here that it is programmed that way in the ECU. Fine with me.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 03:31 PM   #3
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Drives: 2017 1LT RS I4
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=478932
Old 01-16-2017, 03:41 PM   #4
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan1LTRS View Post
That would be my thread.

OP, I think from what I have gathered this is normal with no lift shift. Not to many on here have used this function, heck, I don't think many even know their car has it...

I think what happens is spark is cut for a millisecond so you don't over rev, but the injectors still keep firing, so that extra fuel gets dumped into the exhaust, hence giving you the backfire sound you describe. I called it a gunshot like sound, but I think the technical term is "afterfire".

I'm sure someone with more knowledge on this will comment, but I think when you use no lift shift that loud backfire is 100% normal.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:40 PM   #5
BowtieRocket

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS- M6
I have done the no lift shift in competition mode a few times and no backfire. It is my understanding that one needs to be in competition mode for the no lift shift right?
Old 01-16-2017, 05:01 PM   #6
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieRocket View Post
I have done the no lift shift in competition mode a few times and no backfire. It is my understanding that one needs to be in competition mode for the no lift shift right?
Nope. It's active as long as you are going over 31 mph and have the throttle down more than 93% in any mode but snow/ice from what I can see. I think you need to be over 5000 rpm too. If you didn't get the loud "gunshot" like sound, you didn't do an actual no lift shift. As it has to dump the extra fuel when it cuts spark, which will ignite in the exhaust and give you that loud "backfire".
Old 01-16-2017, 05:03 PM   #7
ModdedSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
So the no lift shift is basically normal shifting at WOT just without taking your foot off the gas correct?

Go: 17" Forgestar F14s in Bronze Burst with Hoosier Drag Radials/Rotofab Intake w/ Dry Filter/EFI Flex Fuel Kit/Kooks 2" Longtubes with Offroad Connections/PRAY Performance Ported Intake Manifold/PRAY Performance Ported Throttle Body/PRAY Performance Ported Heads/PRAY Performance Tune

Suspension: Phastek Lowering Springs/BMR Toe Rods/BMR Control Arms/BMR Trailing Arms/BMR Strut Tower Brace
ModdedSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 05:05 PM   #8
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModdedSS View Post
So the no lift shift is basically normal shifting at WOT just without taking your foot off the gas correct?
Pretty much, but keep throttle floored, rip next gear...

Last edited by SS 1LE; 01-16-2017 at 06:12 PM.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 05:11 PM   #9
ModdedSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
And as it's something built into the ECU, how harmful is it to the trans and clutch? I do a good bit of racing so just seeing if it's worth using

Go: 17" Forgestar F14s in Bronze Burst with Hoosier Drag Radials/Rotofab Intake w/ Dry Filter/EFI Flex Fuel Kit/Kooks 2" Longtubes with Offroad Connections/PRAY Performance Ported Intake Manifold/PRAY Performance Ported Throttle Body/PRAY Performance Ported Heads/PRAY Performance Tune

Suspension: Phastek Lowering Springs/BMR Toe Rods/BMR Control Arms/BMR Trailing Arms/BMR Strut Tower Brace
ModdedSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 05:51 PM   #10
BowtieRocket

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS- M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
Nope. It's active as long as you are going over 31 mph and have the throttle down more than 93% in any mode but snow/ice from what I can see. I think you need to be over 5000 rpm too. If you didn't get the loud "gunshot" like sound, you didn't do an actual no lift shift. As it has to dump the extra fuel when it cuts spark, which will ignite in the exhaust and give you that loud "backfire".
Interesting, cause I have done it with peddle mashed and at about 6k rpm and no backfires... Cool to know I can do it in sport or track mode though
Old 01-16-2017, 05:55 PM   #11
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
And as it's something built into the ECU, how harmful is it to the trans and clutch? I do a good bit of racing so just seeing if it's worth using
No different to the clutch, and since it cuts a little spark shouldn't be too hard on the trans. I wouldn't do it every day, but if they put it there it can't be too bad. Heck, the old Cobalt SS even had no lift shift...
Old 01-16-2017, 05:59 PM   #12
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS2017 View Post
2017 SS manual transmission. All stock, 5000 miles, always run premium gas.

So I went to the drag strip last week and tried no lift shift for the first time. While it did seem to function and do it's job correctly, every time I would use it, right when I would shift I would get a loud backfire from the car. I thought I was doing it wrong so I stopped. I tried it again when I went back to the drag strip this weekend, and same thing, a loud backfire when I shift. I have the car in competition mode, I am shifting at around 6200-6300 rpm (not hitting the rev limiter), and I am holding the gas to the floor for the whole pass. Not sure what I am doing wrong? But I am afraid of breaking something with the car backfiring like this. When i shift normally, I never get these loud backfire like sounds.

Has anybody else tried this no lift shift feature?
The engine makes a blap noise during the WOT shift, automatic cars do the same thing under WOT shifts
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:05 PM   #13
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
No, A NLS has be done exactly like a powershift, very quick bang next gear while just stabbing the clutch exactly the same time. If you push in the clutch before you pull/push the shifter into the next gear, the NLS feature shuts down if you are too slow.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:06 PM   #14
SS2017

Drives: 2SS & GT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
The engine makes a blap noise during the WOT shift, automatic cars do the same thing under WOT shifts
This is much louder than the usual pops and crackles you get. Have you used no lift shift alot?

Like the other guy said it sounds like a single loud gunshot.
SS2017 is offline   Reply With Quote