Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 02-28-2022, 06:51 AM   #15
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
I dont recommend the ECS find another max/ultra summer tire that you can get wet. I have the ECS on my car and the sidewall is squishy and turn-in is vague, car has a real push on the front end.

If that matters to you.

I would not buy them again.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 06:13 PM   #16
Bad 1LE

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
I appreciate the info. I actually ordered them already, they are at the shop waiting to go on. I knew they would be a little sloppy. I actually don't think I'll mind a little sidewall give as these will never see track time or be tested to thier limits on the street. Being in the northeast I made my choice based on the odds of getting caught in inclement weather when I take the car out of state and on longer weekend drives. I'll have another set of 1LE wheels to run the GYs on or whatever the choice of tire might be. If I really hate the Conti ECS I'll yank them off and buy something else. I just sort of flipped a coin to decide between the Conti and Michelins, lol.
Old 03-01-2022, 09:51 AM   #17
xplct

Drives: 2022 camaro 2ss 1LE
My build has the rear parking assist off the car for now, gave me a $50 discount and have to go back to dealer at later date to install.
xplct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 08:11 AM   #18
Bwaahhh

Drives: 2019 SS 1LE
Are me and you on different tires? The G7SC3 do NOT like being below 50 degrees or in the wet. I can barely get traction.
Bwaahhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 09:57 AM   #19
Bad 1LE

I've driven plow trucks in ice storms, slicks with a spool on the street, drag radials in pooring rain, cars so worn out they'd charge me with a felony if anyone ever looked them over, lol. It's all about understanding the equipment and conditions. The tires are useless in the wet or cold performance-wise, but manageable to work with if you are carefull and experienced. Personally I swapped them out for street driving, but I've driven on much worse. Certainly better as a fair-weather-only tire and I wouldn't go so far as to call them a daily driver tire. All in the eye of the beholder, haha.
Old 03-14-2022, 01:10 PM   #20
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
Nice detailed review and congrats on the new car! Looks really badass.

I had a 2SS 1LE as well and loved every minute with it. Sounds like you're loving yours as well. Optioned with the alloy pedals and Nav like yours.

I don't really understand why you bought another set of max performance summer tires when living in MA. Maybe those Contis are better in the wet, but it seems they wouldn't be any better in the winter when it's freezing or there's snow on the ground. Most people in New England buying an alternate set of tires would either get all-season or winter tires. I understand you want to save the Goodyears for occasional track days, but it seems to me you're getting harder tires with less grip. On the plus side, they'll last longer I guess.

I stored mine winters because I also had a Mini Cooper with two sets of rims and tires. But if I was driving the Camaro in the winter, I would have gotten either all seasons or winter tires for when it got below freezing. I noticed a dramatic fall off in traction with the GYs under 50 degrees.

Anyway, good luck with the rest of your break-in and have fun with it!
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 06:09 PM   #21
Rayvan
Rayvan

Drives: 2018 1SS1LE, Silver Ice Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
you're trying to find something to fail on this car?

the shifter.

otherwise they drive really well
Many, many track-days, I've *never* missed a shift. I love the shifter. You may need to change your trans-oil. For 20 bux, you can delete skip-shift "feature" while your under there...
Rayvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 06:18 PM   #22
Rayvan
Rayvan

Drives: 2018 1SS1LE, Silver Ice Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad 1LE View Post
I've driven plow trucks in ice storms, slicks with a spool on the street, drag radials in pooring rain, cars so worn out they'd charge me with a felony if anyone ever looked them over, lol. It's all about understanding the equipment and conditions. The tires are useless in the wet or cold performance-wise, but manageable to work with if you are carefull and experienced. Personally I swapped them out for street driving, but I've driven on much worse. Certainly better as a fair-weather-only tire and I wouldn't go so far as to call them a daily driver tire. All in the eye of the beholder, haha.
My tires are now now on the wear-bars, but the car still grips like heck when warmed up on track days, so I'm not replacing them until they're showing cords.

Ya GOTTA be careful, even if it's not raining if the tires aren't warmed up;

Last month Here in CA, I was on a two-laner at about 45 deg. (f), when I pulled around a slow truck to pass it. The tires broke loose and I was sideways just as I'd passed him (3rd gear, approx 70 mph). New pucker mark showed up on the Recaro after that one.
Rayvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 07:12 PM   #23
Bad 1LE

Sure have to respect the equipment and conditions. I've had a lot of close calls and done a lot of dumb stuff over the years and fortunately lived to tell the tales

As far as buying the Conti ECS, yes they are hard as a rock in the winter. I bought them solely for better wet grip and treadwear. Almost bought the DWS but for a car that will mostly see fair weather and never see snow, I thought I'd be giving up more stiffness and grip for not as much gain. Maybe its a non-issue on the street. The Contis cut down on road noise a ton and are for sure more civilized on the street. I've driven on them for 200+ miles in various conditions, cold and rain included and they are a nice compromise. There is certainly a big enough difference between these and the GYS3 tire to justify the swap out for street use. If I track the car it will be trailered there considering its 2 hours to NHMS and better than 3 to Limerock. I'll hopefully get 4 days out of the GYS3 tires. With the race schedule for the other car I probably won't get out more than that during the summer. I'll get a summer out of the GYS3s and maybe a couple years out of the Contis.

These aren't the last set of tires I'll ever own so really I'm not sweating it if I change my mind. I made a quick decision based on past experiences with various tires, with almost no seat time in a 6th gen, and so far they seem to fit the bill.

Last edited by Bad 1LE; 03-14-2022 at 07:34 PM.
Bad 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 07:28 PM   #24
Bad 1LE

And yes, I am absolutely in love with this car. It will be garage kept but I'll be driving the wheels off of it. It's actually cheaper to drive at the moment than my 3500 dmax so I don't have to justify anything as far as gas mileage goes. The only dilemma is that I want to drive it everywhere all the time.

My shop is 3.5 miles from home. Some days it takes me 45 mins to get there because I take the really long way home. One day I got out a little early and drove 60 miles to get home, hahaha.
Old 03-14-2022, 07:43 PM   #25
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
I have the ECS on mine as a DD tire, but I live in "the south" where temps don't go below freezing except for some winter evenings.

The ECS definitely is more supple and forgiving than the SC3, both in warm and cold weather. And much less scary in colder temps, despite being a summer tire. I haven't used them on the track, but have them available for that purpose if there is solid rain or cold in the forecast.

I thought it would be easy to decide which tires to put on the car in advance of track days, but so far at VIR, it hasn't been easy as the weather forecast seems highly unstable, right up to and through the weekend while you are there.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 10:47 PM   #26
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
And yes, I am absolutely in love with this car. It will be garage kept but I'll be driving the wheels off of it. It's actually cheaper to drive at the moment than my 3500 dmax so I don't have to justify anything as far as gas mileage goes. The only dilemma is that I want to drive it everywhere all the time.

My shop is 3.5 miles from home. Some days it takes me 45 mins to get there because I take the really long way home. One day I got out a little early and drove 60 miles to get home, hahaha.
Yup, that's what owning such an awesome car does to you Every short trip somehow manages to turn into a "long haul", invariably jacking up your "smiles per gallon"

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 09:35 AM   #27
xmattyx
mattyv

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Congrats on the new car, I was considering a new 1LE but since my car will never see a track and the pot holes in NY are horrible, Ill hang onto my 2SS for now.
2014 Hyundai Sonata GLS (sold)
2013 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT/RS (sold)
2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T (sold)
2010 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT (sold)
2007 Dodge Charger SRT-8 (sold)
2007 Cadillac CTS (sold)
2005 Chrysler Sebring (sold)
1998 Dodge Avenger (sold)
1992 Mercury Topaz (sold)
xmattyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 12:52 PM   #28
tarmelter

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Sure have to respect the equipment and conditions. I've had a lot of close calls and done a lot of dumb stuff over the years and fortunately lived to tell the tales

As far as buying the Conti ECS, yes they are hard as a rock in the winter. I bought them solely for better wet grip and treadwear. Almost bought the DWS but for a car that will mostly see fair weather and never see snow, I thought I'd be giving up more stiffness and grip for not as much gain. Maybe its a non-issue on the street. The Contis cut down on road noise a ton and are for sure more civilized on the street. I've driven on them for 200+ miles in various conditions, cold and rain included and they are a nice compromise. There is certainly a big enough difference between these and the GYS3 tire to justify the swap out for street use. If I track the car it will be trailered there considering its 2 hours to NHMS and better than 3 to Limerock. I'll hopefully get 4 days out of the GYS3 tires. With the race schedule for the other car I probably won't get out more than that during the summer. I'll get a summer out of the GYS3s and maybe a couple years out of the Contis.

These aren't the last set of tires I'll ever own so really I'm not sweating it if I change my mind. I made a quick decision based on past experiences with various tires, with almost no seat time in a 6th gen, and so far they seem to fit the bill.
What programs does NHMS offer? I don't believe they offer any HPDE programs.