#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 12-16-2019, 09:43 PM   #15
Stormtrooper1le

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyRacerBoy View Post
Stopped by BMR too. Last time on the rack I am only getting -1.7 in the rear. Will get more pieces to allow -2.0

25 lbs off with AP is huge. It that from zl1 1le brakes?

Not 25lbs- 58lbs!! Yes that is from the ZLE brakes so your savings would be little less due to smaller front caliper/rotor!
Stormtrooper1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 11:22 AM   #16
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
Man this a tuff one!!
Car is 1LE so just Magi here.
Just got Blackstone report as I am concerned if oil lines oil pump and oil cooler heat exchanger should be replaced or cleaned. Piston aluminum and broken valve materials did not go threw engine.

My PDR data does not show any oiling issues but who knows the sampling rate of the system?
Gerotor oiling pumps in LS are known to cavitate @ 6K. I have no idea LT system.

Not sure I would go with AP over Brembos.
I stopped by Stoptech and they are coming out with kits.

Had long chat Alonzo and he get me Penski or Ohlins.

ohlins will not be coming out with 6th gen camaro products penske already has them but they are $$$$ but doesnt include springs
Old 12-17-2019, 04:26 PM   #17
NickyRacerBoy

Drives: 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
ohlins will not be coming out with 6th gen camaro products penske already has them but they are $$$$ but doesnt include springs
True Ohlins will not be making a direct bolt on. Alonzo told me he could design and set. He would make brackets perches etc..
The same would go with Penski. He would just use the shock bodies.
NickyRacerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 04:28 PM   #18
NickyRacerBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper1le View Post
Not 25lbs- 58lbs!! Yes that is from the ZLE brakes so your savings would be little less due to smaller front caliper/rotor!
Dam! Alot. Weight savings is not coming from the rotors themselves..or atleast I cannot imagine that it is... Wonder the weight difference is from ZL1E to 1LE?
Wonder if Scoggin Dickey list weights when estiamelty cost of shipping?

Edit...found this
Attached Images

Old 12-17-2019, 04:51 PM   #19
rotis

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
I'd do MCS over Penske or anything using stock housings, but for tire clearance over anything else. They are offset for significantly more inboard clearance. I think it's the only way to get 12"/335 to fit under the stock ZL1 fender in front. Not for the faint of heart, but you need more tire if you want to go faster. I ran 11"/315 under a stock SS fender with them and had room to spare.
rotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 05:04 PM   #20
NickyRacerBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotis View Post
I'd do MCS over Penske or anything using stock housings, but for tire clearance over anything else. They are offset for significantly more inboard clearance. I think it's the only way to get 12"/335 to fit under the stock ZL1 fender in front. Not for the faint of heart, but you need more tire if you want to go faster. I ran 11"/315 under a stock SS fender with them and had room to spare.
Is that because they use smaller diameter coil springs?
Old 12-17-2019, 05:37 PM   #21
rotis

Quote:
Is that because they use smaller diameter coil springs?
No, the spring isn't an issue because you run short enough springs to get the perch away from the tire (for 18's). After you address that, you need a strut ear design that won't interfere with 18's, and then you increase the length of the strut ears to get the strut body away from the wheel/tire. Run max positive camber at the upright and max negative at the camber plate. MCS made these by special request from me and sold several sets to other racers. I don't know if it's the "default" design, but I think if you ask you can get the same offset setup.

I ran 18x11 +23 at -3.7deg of camber with room to spare on both sides with regular SS fenders with this setup. Pic attached of the strut ear so you can see what I'm talking about. You can hit max steering lock with this setup without hitting anything solid, heh. If you run the big "track" brake air deflectors they'd need some trimming.

I didn't keep the car long enough to try it with ZL1 fenders, but my back-of-the-napkin math says somewhere around a 18x12 +13 w/335's may fit under ZL1 fenders at max camber.

Edit: To be clear, the pics with tires are a 315/30-18 BFG Rival-S on a 18x11+23 wheel. There is maybe 1-2mm to spare to the strut, and still plenty of room to the SS fender. A ZL1 fender would accommodate more room outboard. If I go nuts, I may install a setup like this on my ZL1 1LE and go to 12" fronts.
Attached Images

Last edited by rotis; 12-17-2019 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Math, and clarity.
Old 12-17-2019, 06:53 PM   #22
apexit53

Drives: 22 1SS 1LE Summit White
sexy shocks for sure
#53 F Street
2022 Sponsor autocrossdigits.com
Autocrossing Videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm-...3tiMt0KOg_2Aag
Instagram: apexit_53
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
2019 D Street national champion (2019 civic Type R)
apexit53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 06:57 PM   #23
Stormtrooper1le

Drives: 2018 ZLE
The weight is primarily removed from the rotors as they are slightly smaller and the aluminum hats are super light. Also the caliper itself is pretty amazing and has removed weight anywhere possible!
Attached Images

Stormtrooper1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:05 PM   #24
NickyRacerBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotis View Post
No, the spring isn't an issue because you run short enough springs to get the perch away from the tire (for 18's). After you address that, you need a strut ear design that won't interfere with 18's, and then you increase the length of the strut ears to get the strut body away from the wheel/tire. Run max positive camber at the upright and max negative at the camber plate. MCS made these by special request from me and sold several sets to other racers. I don't know if it's the "default" design, but I think if you ask you can get the same offset setup.

I ran 18x11 +23 at -3.7deg of camber with room to spare on both sides with regular SS fenders with this setup. Pic attached of the strut ear so you can see what I'm talking about. You can hit max steering lock with this setup without hitting anything solid, heh. If you run the big "track" brake air deflectors they'd need some trimming.

I didn't keep the car long enough to try it with ZL1 fenders, but my back-of-the-napkin math says somewhere around a 18x12 +13 w/335's may fit under ZL1 fenders at max camber.

Edit: To be clear, the pics with tires are a 315/30-18 BFG Rival-S on a 18x11+23 wheel. There is maybe 1-2mm to spare to the strut, and still plenty of room to the SS fender. A ZL1 fender would accommodate more room outboard. If I go nuts, I may install a setup like this on my ZL1 1LE and go to 12" fronts.

Great post! Gotta love posts that are educational and informative!

Is there any weight savings? Magi here.

Did you go with triple adjustable shocks?

Shock body looks like steel..?
Old 12-17-2019, 09:15 PM   #25
NickyRacerBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper1le View Post
The weight is primarily removed from the rotors as they are slightly smaller and the aluminum hats are super light. Also the caliper itself is pretty amazing and has removed weight anywhere possible!
I see you have the model that allows nice fat 1" pads.

I spoke to the engineer that designed those for a good 30 minutes.

Do you order cross or do you road race? What's your general consensus about these verses the stock brakes? What pads do you use? Have you noticed a much stiffer pedal? Any issues with abs activating?
Old 12-17-2019, 10:32 PM   #26
NickyRacerBoy

I wonder what the weight savings were these brembos would be?
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2019, 07:13 AM   #27
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Quote:
Dam! Alot. Weight savings is not coming from the rotors themselves..or atleast I cannot imagine that it is... Wonder the weight difference is from ZL1E to 1LE?
Wonder if Scoggin Dickey list weights when estiamelty cost of shipping?

Edit...found this
The new PN for J6H front rotor (84271643) which came out starting for 2018 MY is 32.6#. More heat sink mass on the rotor disc for the ZL1 1LE, but, that rotor went across to base ZL1's and V3 CTS-V's for 2018 MY.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 10:16 AM   #28
rotis

Quote:
Great post! Gotta love posts that are educational and informative!

Is there any weight savings? Magi here.

Did you go with triple adjustable shocks?

Shock body looks like steel..?
I ran triples, so once you add up the weight of the reservoir and everything else there really isn't much weight savings. The springs are lighter because of the smaller diameter, but that's about it. The strut bodies are steel, the reservoirs are aluminum.