Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 04-29-2021, 09:27 PM   #1
johna

Drives: 2015 White Z28
Any one with second thoughts about tracking their Z?

The past couple of summers I've taken my car and tracked it once or twice. Just plain fun. I'm not out to break any track records; just enjoying the car and being able to have some fun with it. Reading a post a few weeks ago about the availability of parts have given me some second thoughts about tracking the car once or twice this year. As we know, anything can happen and can cause some damage to the car.

With that being said; I've always thought that if something did happen I could always get it repaired easily. Now I'm not so sure about that. Anyone else reconsidering doing a track day or two? Or is the availability of parts thing really not that terrible....
johna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:36 PM   #2
Coz3z3

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2015 1LE
Yes and no. I’m not a huge carbon fiber fan and I like our subtle hood vent. But after reading probably the same stuff you are, it has me considering making the plunge to get carbon fiber parts. Like side skirts, hood, splitter. Just so if something does happen, I can buy new ones and still have my stock ones for whatever comes in the future. That being said, I bought the car to track it
Coz3z3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 10:24 AM   #3
1970judge

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2007 HHR
Nope. I bought it to enjoy. That includes street, road trips, and many track days. I can get run over on the road just as easily as a mishap on track. I am rarely ever even close to 10/10 on track. No one is paying me, and im not getting a trophy afterwards, just out having fun, and put in a couple of flying laps.

I say all that to say that I minimize my risks a little by doing that, as I HAVE to be able to drive my car home after each event.
1970judge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 11:53 AM   #4
johna

Drives: 2015 White Z28
Thanks for the thought provoking comments. I bought the Z to enjoy it too. I’ll be registering for a track day or two!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
johna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 09:31 AM   #5
JUSTIFIED

Drives: 2015 black Z/28
It’s a moot point for me because I can’t fit in the Z with a helmet without positioning the seat in an unrealistic driving position. That said, i personally would like to experience a few track days, but would do serious tracking as not only does it risk serious damage (and costs small fortune), but would shorten overall life span. I want the car to last a lifetime as it’s a blast to drive on the street, too. The shortage of parts is somewhat concerning, but am sure most can found via non OEM.
Old 05-03-2021, 01:35 PM   #6
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
I constantly have an ongoing argument with myself about this subject. My late night schizophrenic garage debates got so intense that I went out and purchased another vehicle. Me, myself and I reached a unanimous decision that the Z/28 would get some Auto X time and be the primary late night street therapy vehicle and the C5 Z06 gets the hard thrashing of road course sessions with street usage limited to post-maintenance reliability checks. This is a compromise I can live with and preserves my Z/28 in the long run.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:42 PM   #7
Hooks112

Drives: '15 Z/28 #698(A/C,AW) & other stuff
No.

I'm gonna drive this fun car everywhere I can, while we can.

Shit does happen, but I'm not going to plan for it. 10 years ago I took my first Viper club road trip in my then new-to-me Viper. Didn't make it past 11 am on day 1 before a coyote came out of nowhere - in the middle of nowhere - and committed suicide on my front bumper, oil cooler, condenser, radiator.... Amazingly, nothing was actually leaking and a torque-wrench turned crow-bar pulled the front end out enough to continue the remainder of the 4 day journey. Parts were hard to find, but not impossible.

I'm also a bit conservative on the track with my car. I'm not out to break records, just have fun and try to avoid getting into questionable situations. I attempt to be meticulous with maintenance of fluids to ensure a successful and worry-free outing. I attempt to avoid kerbs and red-line unless necessary. I watch the gauges and if the car seems too hot, I'll take a cool down lap or 2. I'm definitely not a 10/10ths driver, but I'm not out there lollygagging either. The general point being, I believe you can have a really good time on the track without overly abusing your car (and going thru parts like crazy).

Here's a clip from this past weekend at the track at a 2 day Drivers School, chasing down a buddy in his C7 with 500 treadwear tires... The Z/28 is running the Michelin PS4s that I put on 20,000 miles and about 10 track days ago. They're just getting close to the wear bars, and still felt great on the track and confident in the rain storm on the way home. Their replacement set is ready to go.

https://youtu.be/iQcrkerGouc
Hooks112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:49 PM   #8
AustexaSS
Build Date - Dec 08, 2014

Drives: 2015 Z/28, #1007, Black A/C Stereo
No, it’s the only reason I bought the car.
AustexaSS is offline   Reply With Quote