Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-11-2023, 02:13 PM   #15
easttxss

Drives: '16 2SS M6
Mark the location of the bolt head to the intake, so that you can tell if it has backed off. If it hasn't moved since the last time you touched it and it still loosens up then the plastic is deforming or the threaded inserts are slowly pulling through the plastic.
'14 Fusion Titanium 2.0T
'83 Jeep Wagoneer
easttxss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 07:40 PM   #16
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedad View Post
In regards to the torque wrench. I can’t recall what the brand is but it wasn’t crazy expensive if I remember around $80-$100. The only issue is they were loosening up from GPI as well. I don’t think they would have used a cheap torque wrench and not done it correctly. But is a valid question. Maybe I will borrow someone’s torque wrench just to see what happens. I don’t have much to loose trying that. Thanks again for the help
Hey we've all been in the "brokedad" boat in one version or another at some time. If you can't find something to borrow, Amazon has the one I mentioned for $60 new. it's 10-150 in-lb. You want a narrower working range for accuracy and all torque wrenches are most accurate in their mid-range.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 07:48 PM   #17
Ventmaster

Last word- I've never had another moments trouble with the MSD and mounted a un-ported 95mm TB in front with a Soler Performance 95-103 adaptor to merge the two. Car runs like a scalded dog and idles like a Singer sewing machine. Good luck!
Old 09-12-2023, 07:29 AM   #18
MeanGreen1LE

Drives: 17 krypton green 1le
I’ve been on a 5 yr nightmare journey with my car and my hci install; basically have decided my car hates me but the msd has been part of the equation. It’s absolute crap and I have random vacuum leaks I’m pretty sure. It is warped because one of the perimeter bolts you can spin the washer after a heat cycle or two but it still shows correct torque. Previously I have smoked it and didn’t see any leaks but sometimes it seems to seal fine. Took it part anyways and bought new gasket and added rtv. Ran really good for first couple logs now running bad again. Lean at idle to 2k. Boggy down low and some rev hang. Found several perimeter bolts under torque spec and a couple manifold to head bolts. It does not look square against the intake ports when you look at the number two runner you can see from the front as in the inside has more space. Noticed I have oil on intake side of head again too. Going to make a post about that soon.
MeanGreen1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 07:38 AM   #19
Dynamical

Drives: 2022 Camaro LT1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanGreen1LE View Post
I’ve been on a 5 yr nightmare journey with my car and my hci install; basically have decided my car hates me but the msd has been part of the equation. It’s absolute crap and I have random vacuum leaks I’m pretty sure. It is warped because one of the perimeter bolts you can spin the washer after a heat cycle or two but it still shows correct torque. Previously I have smoked it and didn’t see any leaks but sometimes it seems to seal fine. Took it part anyways and bought new gasket and added rtv. Ran really good for first couple logs now running bad again. Lean at idle to 2k. Boggy down low and some rev hang. Found several perimeter bolts under torque spec and a couple manifold to head bolts. It does not look square against the intake ports when you look at the number two runner you can see from the front as in the inside has more space. Noticed I have oil on intake side of head again too. Going to make a post about that soon.
Interesting. I know my experience is not MSD but I had a FAST intake on a head cam ls1 car and it had some weird idle/surging issues. I don't remember the numbers but when we pressure tested the intake it was shit compared to the factory ls6 intake. So I don't doubt this with the MSD, I hear this all the time about this intake. Because of this I may just do a ported lt2. Would you go to an lt2?

2022 Camaro LT1 A10 - Drag Pack/AxleBack -11.849@118.67MPH/1.798 60'
2001 Camaro SS A4 - HCI/Stall/Bolt-on/Gear/Tune/DR/Diet - 429HP/392TQ - 10.99@123.58MPH/1.584 60'
1998 Camaro Z28 A4 - Bolt-on
1999 Camaro Z28 A4 - Stock

FJB
Dynamical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 09:23 AM   #20
MeanGreen1LE

I’m considering doing a ported lt2. If that would have been an option way back when I started that’s what I would have done to begin with. Hard to spend another 800$ or so when I’ve got 1700+ in the msd. I’m shifting 7k so I don’t know that I’d miss to much with lt2.
Old 09-13-2023, 06:59 AM   #21
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
might i suggest investing in a smoke machine. i think technical term is automotive smoke leak detector. like this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07QW...8-0e7e7d413af0

will tell you everything you need to know about potential vacuum leaks. takes <5 minutes to use.

with that being said, i've used 2 different msd manifolds spanning several years and thousands of miles. countless pulls in a 125+ mph car. 0 issues. i am not a fan of holleys quality control but i never had any vacuum leaks.

also if one is using a 95 mm tb & adapter, the adapter pushed the rotofab tube out enough to contact the fan cage on my car. nothing i did would position it correctly.
Old 09-13-2023, 07:57 AM   #22
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
I’ve heard of folks sealing the top to the bottom with rtv. That’s what I would do the next time I run the msd.

If youre heads cam, I would try to keep the msd. As you see There’s been quite a few folks successful in sealing it. Maybe some are easier to seal than others but rtv will remove all doubt
Old 09-13-2023, 09:06 AM   #23
MeanGreen1LE

The little smokers work well, mine did not show a leak that I could see but again I’m not sure mine is constant. I believe mine to be sealed at perimeter but may be leaking at runners themselves from being warped. A perimeter leak would almost definitely be easy to spot with smoke. I actually did rtv it when I had it apart last time. Plus I’m not positive I could see smoke if it was coming from underneath as I still had the intake elbow on. I have the adapter a soler one I believe and I had to use a file on fan shroud to get it to clear correctly.
Old 09-13-2023, 10:23 AM   #24
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Did you try new runner gaskets that seal to the head?
Old 09-13-2023, 11:09 AM   #25
MeanGreen1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
Did you try new runner gaskets that seal to the head?
Yes I have
Though I know it’s not typically recommended to use rtv with orings I may try that somehow.
Old 09-16-2023, 11:18 AM   #26
brokedad

Drives: 2017 Camaro ss
I wonder if it has anything to do with being ported or not being ported. Does modifying the manifold change the way the plastic reacts when in upper temperatures? I did end up buying a snap on torque wrench and I will let you know if there is any difference with the bolts loosening up. I really am considering the BTR manifold as an option. I really have no interest in cutting my hood for a high ram.
brokedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 02:37 PM   #27
Ventmaster

Well since most or all custom porting is done by hand - not CNC, there's always a chance someone could have a late night or get distracted and we are talking about grinding on pretty soft plastic.
I don't see a guy trashing a $1,200-$1,500 MSD because he had a little slip... but it could happen, and maybe he/she hoped it would be OK.
But I dunno and I'm not casting aspersions on anyone.
I am hoping your new torque wrench will cure the issue!
Old 10-15-2023, 05:28 AM   #28
brokedad

Drives: 2017 Camaro ss
Been a little bit but quick update. I did buy a snap on torque wrench. I comes with paperwork on each individual torque wrench being tested for accuracy, so I think I am good in regards to accuracy. I applied orange locktight to each bolt. Orange is supposed to be an upgrade from blue and torqued all bolts following the instruction. Went for 30-40 minute drive and all bolts are needing retightened. One thing I forgot to do was mark them to see if the bolts are backing out, or is the gasket compressing. At this point I’m either going high ram or BTR because either way I’m tired off messing with this intake.
brokedad is offline   Reply With Quote