Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-22-2024, 06:01 PM   #1
Broooster

Drives: Sharkskin Metallic ZL1
Suspension Question

So I've been a little bored with the internet lately, so I have been reading older posts just to learn a little more about the ZL1. Back a few pages, idk, 65-70 range, was a couple topics about going from the ZL1 to the ZL1 1LE, or vise versa. It was mentioned that one of the reasons the 1LE has such a stiff suspension is because of the downforce created by the front canards and the high rear wing. It needs the stiffer suspension to push against the downforce I guess. Now with that being said, the Panther addition has the mag ride AND the high rear wing. Does the Panther additions mag ride have a little more stiffness to its springs vs a "plain Jane" ZL1?
And also, I came across a comment that stuck in my head, about someone doing the 1LE appearance conversion to a ZL1. I believe it was stated that just by adding the high rear wing without the front canards caused the front end to feel "lighter" and "unstable". Yet, the Panther only has the high rear wing. I honestly find it hard to believe that the high rear wing causes that much downforce to even begin to take weight off of the front end, but IDK.
So, does anyone care to chime in and help me understand what I'm reading.
Broooster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 07:21 PM   #2
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Downforce is not the entire reason for the ZLE's stiffer suspension.

Without getting too deep in the weeds, stiffer suspension will offer better control, faster response, flatter platform management (roll, pitch, dive), and stability, etc...to a point. But it can offer less mechanical grip. If the stiffer setup can't keep the tires on the ground, then there is a loss of total grip. There's no free lunch. The downforce addition is a factor, but it's not the only reason GM went stiff.

As for the downforce imbalance created by only adding the rear wing, yeah, it can happen. It's not entirely that the front gets "light", the entire chassis could get upset as far as desired ride height at speed. It's about balance. Add downforce at the rear and go through an appropriate corner at the limit of grip and the driver may report not enough front grip. The rear has a ton of grip but now the balance of the car has been upset. The front is losing grip before the rear. Bring in more front downforce to add front grip and that balance comes back and you can go through the corner faster than before.
Old 02-22-2024, 08:51 PM   #3
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
I’ll can tell you now the Collectors Edition while nice, does not have any different features from a regular ZL1 suspension other than the wing. Not dogging on it but it’s a sticker package, GM haven’t changed or added any new real suspension/tuning since the 2019 refresh especially not when the Camaro team was gone by earlier than that
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is online now   Reply With Quote