Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

Phastek Performance

Old 05-27-2020, 08:34 PM   #1
SilverCamaroVert

Drives: 2019 LT3 RS Convertible
Convertible luggage panel upgrade

I actually "like" having the luggage panel as I have subs under the top that fills the space anyway.

Problem is when I load the trunk space, it often pushes forward on the panel which causes it to pop off the mounting points.

I concluded this was due to the intermediate "fold" points that seemingly serve no purpose other than to maybe allow you to fold it forward without disconnecting the bottom points first.

Since I never fold it forward (or remove it at all frankly), I decided to make it rigid which has solved the issue of it popping loose.

I bought a 4' piece of 1/8" thick x 3/4" wide aluminum bar stock and cut it into 3 16" pieces.

I measured and drilled holes through the bunch on my drill press.

Lined then up on the back of the panel, drilled holes through the panel and riveted the aluminum to the panel using some 3/8" aluminum rivets I have for my snowmobile repairs. I also covered the finished product with fabric tape cause it looked good.

Figured I would share if anybody else has had similar frustrations.
Attached Images

SilverCamaroVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:43 PM   #2
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
Nice job.
I think the problem of the divider popping off is luck-of-the-draw. Seems some here have had very bad problems with it. So far I've been lucky and never had any issues, regardless of what I've put in the trunk.
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:36 PM   #3
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
The original divider always stayed attached and in place. Then the dealer replaced it with one that pops off constantly as part of a recall. I hate the new divider. I’ll have to give this a try. Maybe I’ll try Velcro instead of rivets so that it can be removed when needed.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 11:47 AM   #4
SilverCamaroVert

Drives: 2019 LT3 RS Convertible
I'm sure I have the newer style as it's a 2019.

Strong velcro could work. I was at a point where I was literally going to build something out of hardboard and cover it with carpet when I got this idea.

I tend to cram things in the trunk when I have to and I figure anything not well secured would pop off
SilverCamaroVert is offline   Reply With Quote