Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-18-2020, 06:21 PM   #1
Twist ZL1

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Wheel Cover for Alcantara?

New ZL1 owner. First time owning a standard transmission car and I'm in love. The ZL1 is going to be my primary car most days. That said I am a little worried about wearing out the Alcantara on the wheel. I am considering buying a wheel cover for the steering wheel but I'm worried it may damage it over time more than my hands will. I really dont want to wear driving gloves and I also like the feel of a bulker steering wheel.

Has anyone put a cover over the wheel for multiple months and then checked to make sure it's still holding up ok? I tried searching and could find no information on someone who has done this.
Twist ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 06:42 PM   #2
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Welcome to the ZL1 club here and yes the alcantara will wear with driving the car! Mine has started to be worn in spots with a little over 10,000 miles and the shifter knob too! From what I have read and other ZL1 owners have posted here is to clean it regularly with a alcantara cleaner and also clean your hands too after pumping gas, etc. I have yet to clean my steering wheel or shifter knob but plan to in the very near future! Maybe some will chime in with what brand of cleaner to order and use!
Old 03-18-2020, 06:47 PM   #3
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Just enjoy it! don't put a cover on it. just keep it clean
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 07:08 PM   #4
Mark R

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
Alcantara is disgusting. Like a giant mouse pelt covering the wheel and other surfaces. I got a Wildhammer leather and carbon fiber wheel, and replaced the shifter, door cards, and knee pads with 2SS leather versions.
Mark R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 07:36 PM   #5
Tricksta

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
Welcome to the ZL1 club here and yes the alcantara will wear with driving the car! Mine has started to be worn in spots with a little over 10,000 miles and the shifter knob too! From what I have read and other ZL1 owners have posted here is to clean it regularly with a alcantara cleaner and also clean your hands too after pumping gas, etc. I have yet to clean my steering wheel or shifter knob but plan to in the very near future! Maybe some will chime in with what brand of cleaner to order and use!
Sonax Alcantra cleaner and brush.
Old 03-18-2020, 09:00 PM   #6
Zigg L1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Garnet Red Tintcoat A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
Alcantara is disgusting. Like a giant mouse pelt covering the wheel and other surfaces. I got a Wildhammer leather and carbon fiber wheel, and replaced the shifter, door cards, and knee pads with 2SS leather versions.
Roger that Mark I am not a fan of the Alcantara either. I was going to get a wheelskin and look into replacing the shifter, knee pads, door cards etc....
Where did you find the ss2 replacement
Zigg L1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 09:21 PM   #7
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Thanks Tricksta!��
Old 03-18-2020, 10:15 PM   #8
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Yeah, save the virgin alcantara for next guy.

Alcantara cleans up easy, just wet rag from mild soapy water, all your hand goo wipes off. Wipe clean w clean, moist rag. Repeat as hand oils build up n matte gray finish turns into less matte, almost satin finish. Clean more often in summer.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 11:14 PM   #9
Mark R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigg L1 View Post
Roger that Mark I am not a fan of the Alcantara either. I was going to get a wheelskin and look into replacing the shifter, knee pads, door cards etc....
Where did you find the ss2 replacement
I got the 2ss parts from the dealer and had them install the parts. They are black leather with grey stitching, which i colored with a red sharpie to match the seat stitching.
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2020, 07:09 PM   #10
Zl1+911

Drives: 997 GTS, ZL1 A10, ZLEM6, ZLEA10
That steering wheels looks sweet! How much was it and is the install easy? It looks thicker than the ZL1 too....
Zl1+911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:21 PM   #11
Mark R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zl1+911 View Post
That steering wheels looks sweet! How much was it and is the install easy? It looks thicker than the ZL1 too....
I think it was $950 from Wildhammer Motorsports. Usual installation is a breeze. However, the bolt was stuck on my car and I had the dealer change it out. I'm glad I didn't watch, because they destroyed the stock wheel getting it off.

It is a re-worked stock wheel. It does feel very good in my hands.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:29 PM   #12
Warrior102

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
Agreed, hated it. Replaced the shift knob with a Speeddawg and purchased a 2SS leather wheel from a member here that went the other way.
Warrior102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:40 PM   #13
Twist ZL1

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Thanks for the replies. There is some useful info in here even though no bites from someone who chanced using a cover on the OEM wheel. I will take your advice trickster and buy some sonax for the "A" touch points and just use a little mild soap and water for the other areas like the knee cushion. That said I am still thinking of buying this "Gooogo Black Carbon Fiber Luxury Leather Chevy Camaro ZL1 Steering Wheel Cover" from Amazon. It looks nice in the pics but dont they always.

Mark, your interior looks nice. That wheel looks high end and I would have never guessed your stitching was sharpied from the pics. I personally dont mind the alcantara look in the Z, and I dont think I could drop close to 2 grand on the interior to change it to carbon fiber and leather as you have done even if it looks good and will be easier to maintain. I am assuming the wheel is 1k and the CF dash and SS parts another 1k.
Twist ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:42 PM   #14
Mark R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior102 View Post
Agreed, hated it. Replaced the shift knob with a Speeddawg and purchased a 2SS leather wheel from a member here that went the other way.
I dont know why it is so popular. So many supercars come with it. Leather is just so much more çlassic, as well as more durable. And it generally wears well if it is taken care of.