Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 07-31-2016, 09:34 AM   #1
Shultzy

Drives: White 1ss NPP 6M
Wrong era ?

Being only nineteen I can only imagine how awesome it was seeing these bad boys around on the road everyday! Sometimes I think I was born in the wrong era
Attached Images

Shultzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 12:13 PM   #2
MiamiBlueCamaro

Drives: Gen 6 Camaro RS
one in blue
Attached Images

MiamiBlueCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 12:24 PM   #3
BlackbeastSS2

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE Shock Candy
Not wrong era

Trust me, your not in the wrong era. I am 55, I grew with these cars. My first car was a 70.5 Camaro and my buddy had a 69, every Friday and Saturday we tuned them up and added stuff. My new 2016 SS is a rocket in my opinion and you really don't need anything to added to it, it's a very well put together car.

I would say if you like changing spark plugs, wires, adjusting timing, and have room in the engine bay to add your own headers, replace carb and added a high rise intake manifold, add a cam ... Etc. Then your in the wrong era.

Ps back then air condition was not thought about or even considered.
Diamond Piston & Manley Rods, Roto Fab Big Gulp
BTR Push Rods,LS7 Lifters, ARP, FI Chiller, Kirkey Seats
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 101 octane.
2014 Mini Cooper countryman S All4 M6 daily driver
BlackbeastSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 12:59 PM   #4
Trizin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I think about that too. Idk if its just the image that we create now kinda like dazed and confused comes to mind.(awesome music back then and cars.) but i just think how cool it would be in the late 60's and 70's seeing Chevelles, gtos, cudas, and the long list of muscle cars on the road.
Trizin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 01:24 PM   #5
SpookShow'84
Bump in the night

Drives: '84 Monte Carlo SS, '15 Optima
It gets romanticized, part of it is for good reason. Cool cars everywhere, mini-skirt was in full fashion, no AIDS, the pill becomes widely used and the sexual revolution was on, a cool car mattered more then to more people, racing on the street was a slap on the wrist, cops took your beer instead of the car and you didn't automatically go to jail, races were easier to find, headers and a cam mattered and were easy to do, EDM didn't dominate pop music, etc. etc.

When was the last time people really cared about cars and the fastest one in town was known by most people there? Even into the 70's midnight flat spots even in small towns could have a hundred cars there just to just to watch the king of the street face off against a serious challenger.

The cars have only gotten better than those classics in about the last 10 years. Word though on a/c my next one will have it.
Old 07-31-2016, 01:26 PM   #6
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
I'm 53 and recall this being the popular look for muscle cars in the early to late 70s. By the time I was driving age (80-81) the now classics were cool beaters that you could buy for $500. A few guys had mint, originals (70 Chevelle SS 396, 70 Cyclone 429, 69 GT350)
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -

Last edited by hotlap; 07-31-2016 at 03:02 PM.
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 01:41 PM   #7
Heavymetal454
Account Suspended

Drives: '69 RS Pro Street
Having grown up and owned many fast cars as was the case for my family in general it wasn't as awe inspiring as one might think. You have to remember that cars like this were a common sight. The roads were filled with classic muscle but at the time they weren't classic. They were the current models. They take on a more unearthly status as they begin to disappear. Look at any old photo these days. What was in the background is now more interesting than the subject of the photograph at the time.

In my town everyone knew who had the fastest car. It was the stuff of legend. I remember a guy named Scott with a wicked Nova. Another guy with a 69 Firebird that he put a Dana 69 under. Friends of mine had SS Chevelles, a dude my sister dated with a Blue a Charger and perhaps the fastest car in town was Pauls Roadrunner.

Tragically there were accidents too. A couple of kids in a 57 Chevy that gambled at a railroad crossing and lost.

The biggest difference is I don't believe anyone will look back at a photograph taken today and say, "Wow is that a hybrid car?" Man those things were sweet. For that matter car shows of the future are unlikely to have people taking selfies in front of the Eco Boost or trying to find parts to fix up their Kia Sorrento.

Just my two cents. Well maybe a quarter.
Heavymetal454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:01 PM   #8
ssrs396

Drives: 68 vert 396 13 ls
What was cool is cruising main street and seeing all the muscle cars every Friday-Saturday nights, parking at the local A@W as the car hops brought you a frosty mug of root beer. I remember their food being better then it is now. During the late 70s and early 80s the cool cars where the muscle cars because the new ones sucked. They could be had relatively cheap and a working high school student could afford them, what a great time.
ssrs396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:14 PM   #9
Quiksilver16ss

Drives: 2016 camaro 1ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shultzy View Post
Being only nineteen I can only imagine how awesome it was seeing these bad boys around on the road everyday! Sometimes I think I was born in the wrong era
Wrong era yea right!! One day of driving without AC, no power steering, no power brakes, no rev limiter, no Bluetooth, no wifi, no power door locks, no power windows..and 2SS features ..No blind spot assist, heated cooled seats/steering wheel, I mean it's endless...

Now u sure u could handle the 1960's?
Old 07-31-2016, 02:50 PM   #10
SpookShow'84
Bump in the night

Drives: '84 Monte Carlo SS, '15 Optima
I laughed out loud when my oldest kid was finally big enough to ride in the front seat, asking about what the spinny thing was. "That rolls the windows up and down" haha

I do love a modern car but the sound and experience of a classic can't be beat. I'll never forget my first ride in one. Sophomore year in hs, my buddies dad let us take out his '69 Mach 1 after football homecoming. The smell of the cars high test and old leather, the fall air, real hp compaired to most cars of the day, back when 12's on the street was fast. Modern stuff doesn't always make a car more fun.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:59 PM   #11
Hyper RS

Drives: '19 Corvette Stingray Convertible
I lived through that era and it was cool! However, today's performance cars put the old ones to shame in every single category imaginable! (Except maybe looks). Today are the good old days for performance cars! You were not born in the wrong era!

Last edited by Hyper RS; 07-31-2016 at 03:43 PM.
Hyper RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 03:07 PM   #12
Snowblind

Drives: '16 2SS / '05 SRT10 Ram / '65 bu
I am glad that the OP feels the love for the oldies.....I went to a local cruise night-spot and saw all imports, not one American muscle car there !!!!

I felt a little sad that these kids don't know what they are missing, the sound of a V8 as it rumbles by and shakes the ground......priceless
Old 07-31-2016, 04:16 PM   #13
mt3130

Drives: Coupeless :(
I saw that exact van and car in Fort Myers a couple days ago!
mt3130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 04:23 PM   #14
Techn9cian805
The BEAST

Drives: '16 2SS, '89 Wife
Classics are cool and all, but the novelty wears away fast once you try daily driving them like you would have to in the old days. I'll stick with my modern muscle's comforts and gadgets.