Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-11-2016, 01:50 PM   #29
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I just find it odd how when the ZL1 was beaten in almost every performance category everyone here was fine by the decision to say the ZL1 was the winner. Now we have the same scenario (albeit the headline is rather stupid) and everyone is bitching that they chose the GT350R over the Vette
It's like when your favorite sporting team loses on account of a referee call, the refs won the game not the other team; but if your team wins because of a referee call, the other team shouldn have made a bad play, a win is a win.

Why people feel so personally invested in sports or cars has always eluded me. We're not the ones playing in the game, nor are we the company selling the car...so why do people get so "hurt" or elated for that matter when one or the other wins or loses?
Old 01-11-2016, 02:04 PM   #30
Bongos2U

Drives: Hopefully 6th gen Camaro
What's really troubling is in the article the GT350 is praised for engine vibration and harshness. From the article: "...the engine sends a mighty vibration through the pedals and the dash and your seat bottom". Here's another one " Ford Shelby GT350: Sell yours before it vibrates itself to pieces". They also call the vibration "exhilarating" (??).

Don't know about you, but you would think that would knock down the " Fun to Drive" factor a couple of points.
Bongos2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 05:28 PM   #31
TheReaper

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongos2U View Post
What's really troubling is in the article the GT350 is praised for engine vibration and harshness. From the article: "...the engine sends a mighty vibration through the pedals and the dash and your seat bottom". Here's another one " Ford Shelby GT350: Sell yours before it vibrates itself to pieces". They also call the vibration "exhilarating" (??).

Don't know about you, but you would think that would knock down the " Fun to Drive" factor a couple of points.
The high dollar FPC Euro cars have the vibration and that's what excites them.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:45 PM   #32
trademaster

Drives: 12 MP4-12C, 16 Quattroporte
So the consensus is car magazines should just stop printing and declare the Viper ACR the winner of all comparisons, yeah?
trademaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 03:51 AM   #33
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Drives: 16 2SS
I brought this up a long time ago. Like, over a year ago, on this very forum. The GT500 OWNED the ZL1, and was the reason I purchased a GT500 over a ZL1. A few people(dare I say "prominent" members here, called me out claiming that I was a Ford Fanboy(NOTE: Ive owned ONE Ford performance car and...IDK...15 GMs!? lol) Another example of the inherent bullshittery of mags.

INCOMING: ‘22 ZL1, Satin Steel. A10. PDR.
Ordered: 03/02/22.
LesserO2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 03:54 AM   #34
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Drives: 16 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
Pretty much exactly what happened with the GT500 vs ZL1...the numerically lesser vehicle was declared winner due to arbitrary and subjective, non-quantitative terms like "fun","essence" and "spirit".
It genuinely pains me to have to agree with you. I will not only agree, but applaud and second the bias in that decision. GT500 destroyed the ZL1 in every performance metric. Numbers do not lie....

INCOMING: ‘22 ZL1, Satin Steel. A10. PDR.
Ordered: 03/02/22.
LesserO2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 05:10 PM   #35
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
Question for you folks....

Is Car and Driver only a legitimate magazine when GM products win? I don't seem to recall anyone balking at the magazine when the 6th Gen dominated the Mustang...
Well when essentially ever publication that compared the two came the same conclusion, C&D couldn't be that obviously biased.

But here's a case where they are the first to compare and can make it up to Ford for their obvious bias in the GT500 vs ZL1 review.

Don't worry next year they will pick the M2 over a GT350 because it's feels more sporty

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 05:30 PM   #36
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I don't ever care about what the magazines post as their favorite. They have little to no value to me outside of the actual facts. How a car feels is personal preference. I reserve that for the test drive instead of relying on what some stranger from a magazine writes.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:09 PM   #37
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Some interesting comments C&D made of the Voodoo. Maybe if the Z51 had vibrating seats it would have done better.
Quote:
...True, it doesn't really come alive and pull in earnest until 4,000 rpm....

...Owing to its crankshaft design and lack of balance shafts, this is not the smoothest V-8, it is in fact, one of the least smooth. Shooting through to the far side of the tach and the engine sends a mighty vibration through the pedals and dash and your seat bottom. ...the vibration is exhilarating, even if the instrument panel pieces might not like it in the long run.

...The car is not set up for drag-race launches. Drop the clutch below 4000 rpm and the car will bog a bit...
and in the comment section
Quote:
...sell yours before it vibrates itself to pieces.
Hard to see the Ford camp embracing this review. I guess that's why no one has mentioned it until now even though I've had a copy since before Christmas.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:43 PM   #38
trademaster

Drives: 12 MP4-12C, 16 Quattroporte
You had a copy of the February C&D in December? That's weird.
trademaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:58 PM   #39
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
whenever you read C&D and the Corvette loses something by a couple points ,then you look over at the scores and you see yeah they gave it to the mustang on interior styling, exterior styling, etc

and then you can just laugh.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:35 PM   #40
LT1Zob

Drives: 23 LT1 / 19 Z06 / after 6 5th gens
mags, newspapers, 24 hour "news" channels are all about entertainment these days. It's all about shock value which leads to ratings and ad dollars. There are no journalists left in any media format today. It's all subjective, all about using bias to find your niche audience and exploit to get the highest ratings/circulation.
This being said, and only reading it for entertainment value, I usually get a few laughs out of C&D every month.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:47 PM   #41
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by trademaster View Post
You had a copy of the February C&D in December? That's weird.
Not really. I subscribe and it arrived late December. It sat a few days before I read it but knew that I texted a friend then because it was funny. Text history shows that was Dec 31st.
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -

Last edited by hotlap; 01-19-2016 at 09:25 PM.
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:27 PM   #42
72MachOne99GT
Anthrax Popcorn User

Drives: 2013 GT500
You guys just need to chill.

Guess how many GT500 owners sold their GT500s when the ZL1 won comparisons despite losing most performance comparisons.

I'd imagine the same number of people are going to rush to sell their Vettes.

I don't stop liking The Atlanta Braves when they have a down year, you guys don't start hating Coors Light when you realized its just flavored water.

It's human nature to justify tour purchase, or get all up in arms when a goddamn magazine picks a different car.

Guess what, my wife isn't a super model who makes millions, but I still want to do all kinds of things to her 99% of the time I see her.

****ing kids

(The kids comment was directed toward this forum..not saying kids destroyed my wife... oh jesus... that sounded bad)
Quote:
...if you want to compare performance numbers, well, the GT500 retains it's title of the highest hp, worst performing car in the world.
72MachOne99GT is offline   Reply With Quote