Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 01-08-2016, 01:11 PM   #43
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
By an aftermarket package?

I'll see your Callaway Camaro and raise you a Hennessey GT350 here

I guess that makes your counter-argument mute?

See how silly that is now?
You could even go with the Roush stage 3 for cheaper and more readily available.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:12 PM   #44
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
I'm not the one trying to compare a limited production cost ineffective custom Ford product against a mass produced stock GM vehicle, but yea I agree, its pretty laughable.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 01:17 PM   #45
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Moot, not mute.

Sorry, just had to do it.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:30 PM   #46
AGM 1LE

Drives: 14 SS/ 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GossipSquirrelJelena View Post
I see camaro5 members are back in the drag racing business again now that the 16 is out. All people wanted to do on this forum for the last 5 years was talk ring times when the 5th gens & Z28s were getting trounced by bolt on 5.0s at the drag strip. Snowman why would anyone buy a GT350 to drag race.??? Anyone that wants to drag race buys a base GT or 1SS and bolts a supercharger on it and runs in the 9s! Your guys thinking is all wrong! People don't buy Cars like a GT350 for straight line runs! They buy them for track days and collectability. Not to compete with Joe blows SS or GT at a stop light. But I will say this. I just read Car & Drivers comparo between the GT350 and the Corvette Z51 and noticed they had the exact same trap speed of 119! Highest trap I've seen for a 16 SS is 116 so I'm going out on a limb and saying the GT350 will do the walking out on any highway were the two cars might actually come across each other. There's no denying the HP advantage once the motor is spun up in the 350..
They buy GT350s to win the dick measuring contest. I'd say that 10% of the GT350s will be track cars and the rest will be garage queens. (Not that a lot of Z28 owners aren't in the same boat...)
AGM 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 06:56 PM   #47
trademaster

Drives: 12 MP4-12C, 16 Quattroporte
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
I'm not the one trying to compare a limited production cost ineffective custom Ford product against a mass produced stock GM vehicle, but yea I agree, its pretty laughable.
Custom? Are you trying to say the GT350 is not a stock Ford vehicle?

Didn't you JUST complain about me comparing the GT350 to the Z/28, a very similar, low volume vehicle?
trademaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 09:06 PM   #48
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
I get it. It's low-hanging fruit for internet racers.

Some people have a very strange allegiance to a vehicle, which is nothing more than an inanimate object designed by a faceless, multi-billion dollar corporation for the purpose of generating profits by taking you from Point A to Point B. These strange people get upset when their favorite kind of vehicle is outdone by some other kind of "competing" vehicle.

For 6 years, Camaro5 overlooked the drag strip because the 5th Gen Camaro was a pretty poor performer. Think about it - the 580 horsepower flagship Camaro runs 12's. These cars are just tanks. So for the first time in American muscle history, the focus disappeared from the strip and went to twisty race courses previously reserved for imports. Why? Because the #1 competitor, the Mustang, was spanking the Camaro at the strip but getting crushed at the track. People ignored the weaknesses and boasted about the strengths. Don't get me wrong, I think the Camaro was the overall better performer, but let's be honest, here. The 5th Gen 5.0 was a better strip car.

Now, we have a Camaro SS that's finally besting the Mustang at the strip, but the GT350, something unique that GM has never had the guts to attempt, is doing some pretty special things. The Camaro has no direct competition, so people who have weird allegiances are trying to tear it down a peg by comparing the current top dog Camaro's strongest point to the GT350's weakest point...something the GT350 was not designed to do, it isn't an inherent weakness...all to make themselves feel better due to some strange insecurity.

It's an interesting study in the human psyche.
I think it's the fact that many including GM saw the capability in the gen 5 Camaro as a track car and decided to let it blossom into what it has become today. I am sure that the Camaro modded is not a slow car so I don't think that was the issue of the Camaro being the slower car and honestly we have to blame it on the heavy a$$ anchor weight wheels that the car came with that made it slow. The 6.2 L power plant is pretty capable. I know a guy with a C6 vette with just Vararam intake and tune and stock tires and wheels that is basically knocking at the GT350Rs door. There are all motor Gen 5s on here that would beat an all motor S197 so with that said is the gen 5 Camaro really the loser. I have a gen 5 suspension equipped that make me and would make anyone realize why this platform gets credit for it's track capability. I just PMed another member that won 2014 SCCA FS National Champion on a 1LE with the same tires I just bought. This is a day and age when muscle or pony cars what ever we want to call them, are capable of showing European auto owners that they are good for more that just going fast in a straight line. Even on the BMW forums, M3/M4 owners are showing respect to the Z28s they ran into on road courses and even Porsche owners.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:14 AM   #49
GossipSquirrelJelena
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT. Supercharged.
Quote:
GossipSquirrelJelena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:45 AM   #50
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
The hell are you on about?
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 04:27 PM   #51
L99CAMA2011

Well I just returned from a dealer viewing a GT350 and wasn't as impressed by the actual interior which is the basic option to a fully equipped GT. Recaro seats also seems cheaper no way near the quality of say a 2007 AUDI RS4 seats. Honestly the plastics are of similar standards to our gen 5 interior trim. I was also more impressed by the engine bay of the gen6 Camaro. Also GT350 owners, look at your rear exhaust inside the tips. Ford did a tacky job cutting the ends and leaving the burrs.
Attached Images

Last edited by L99CAMA2011; 01-10-2016 at 02:03 AM.
Old 01-09-2016, 05:58 PM   #52
GossipSquirrelJelena
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT. Supercharged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
Well I just returned from a dealer viewing a GT350 and wasn't as impressed by the actual interior which is the basic option to a fully equipped GT. Recaro seats also seems cheaper no way near the quality of say a 2007 AUDI RS4 seats. Honestly the plastics are of similar standards to our gen 5 interior trim. I was also more impressed by the engine bay of the gen6 Camaro. Also GT350 owners, look at your rear exhaust inside the tips. Ford did a tacky job cutting the ends and leaving the burrs.
That a boy. Get it all out.
GossipSquirrelJelena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:34 AM   #53
HeavyIOM

Drives: 2010 SS, 2000 Pontiac Formula
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
I get it. It's low-hanging fruit for internet racers.

Some people have a very strange allegiance to a vehicle, which is nothing more than an inanimate object designed by a faceless, multi-billion dollar corporation for the purpose of generating profits by taking you from Point A to Point B. These strange people get upset when their favorite kind of vehicle is outdone by some other kind of "competing" vehicle.

For 6 years, Camaro5 overlooked the drag strip because the 5th Gen Camaro was a pretty poor performer. Think about it - the 580 horsepower flagship Camaro runs 12's. These cars are just tanks. So for the first time in American muscle history, the focus disappeared from the strip and went to twisty race courses previously reserved for imports. Why? Because the #1 competitor, the Mustang, was spanking the Camaro at the strip but getting crushed at the track. People ignored the weaknesses and boasted about the strengths. Don't get me wrong, I think the Camaro was the overall better performer, but let's be honest, here. The 5th Gen 5.0 was a better strip car.

Now, we have a Camaro SS that's finally besting the Mustang at the strip, but the GT350, something unique that GM has never had the guts to attempt, is doing some pretty special things. The Camaro has no direct competition, so people who have weird allegiances are trying to tear it down a peg by comparing the current top dog Camaro's strongest point to the GT350's weakest point...something the GT350 was not designed to do, it isn't an inherent weakness...all to make themselves feel better due to some strange insecurity.

It's an interesting study in the human psyche.

Hahahahaha spot on man, good job!

Quote:

I can feel your anger, let the hate flow through you!

Quote:
I think it's the fact that many including GM saw the capability in the gen 5 Camaro as a track car and decided to let it blossom into what it has become today. I am sure that the Camaro modded is not a slow car so I don't think that was the issue of the Camaro being the slower car and honestly we have to blame it on the heavy a$$ anchor weight wheels that the car came with that made it slow. The 6.2 L power plant is pretty capable. I know a guy with a C6 vette with just Vararam intake and tune and stock tires and wheels that is basically knocking at the GT350Rs door. There are all motor Gen 5s on here that would beat an all motor S197 so with that said is the gen 5 Camaro really the loser. I have a gen 5 suspension equipped that make me and would make anyone realize why this platform gets credit for it's track capability. I just PMed another member that won 2014 SCCA FS National Champion on a 1LE with the same tires I just bought. This is a day and age when muscle or pony cars what ever we want to call them, are capable of showing European auto owners that they are good for more that just going fast in a straight line. Even on the BMW forums, M3/M4 owners are showing respect to the Z28s they ran into on road courses and even Porsche owners.
Once mods are thrown in its anyones game. the one with the deeper pockets wins, pretty simple. just because one all motor car beats another all motor car doesn't mean it will beat all the other all motor cars.
HeavyIOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 06:37 AM   #54
hockeylover86

Drives: Buick
So the GT500 goes out of production and now straight line speed matters again?

On a car meant for the track?

Stock Mustangs were doing 0-150 in 17 seconds 4 years ago...

Truth is as long as the mfr's want to compete it will be good for everybody.

I'm sure the next GT500 is coming, and it will be faster than the GT350 to 150mph...
hockeylover86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 05:21 PM   #55
L99CAMA2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylover86 View Post
So the GT500 goes out of production and now straight line speed matters again?

On a car meant for the track?

Stock Mustangs were doing 0-150 in 17 seconds 4 years ago...

Truth is as long as the mfr's want to compete it will be good for everybody.

I'm sure the next GT500 is coming, and it will be faster than the GT350 to 150mph...
Which freaking stock mustangs did 0-150 in 17 seconds maybe GT500 not Gts.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:38 AM   #56
hockeylover86

Drives: Buick
Quote:
Which freaking stock mustangs did 0-150 in 17 seconds maybe GT500 not Gts.
13/14 GT500's were 0-150 in the 17 second range stock..
hockeylover86 is offline   Reply With Quote