Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 07-31-2011, 07:59 PM   #1
Dr.Manhattan

Drives: Camaro
Camaro or Challenger

Hey guys,

Somewhat bias posting here, I am also however posting in a Challenger forum as well. I am stuck between what car to get between the two of them. I am looking at a 2009 Dodge Challenger R/T, or the 2010 Camaro SS1. I have been to a few different Camaro forums but settled on this one as most of the stuff I have read here has been spot on.

I have however read about A LOT of problems with the Camaro. Tranny issues, engine issues, frame issues and so fourth. On the Dodge side of things, a lot of this seems very mundane. Can anyone here touch base on the technical side of things for the Camaro, and how reliable is this machine looking for the future ?.
Dr.Manhattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:03 PM   #2
HufferSS
I Wanna Go Faster!!

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green M6
It's a great car but Dodge has a year or two on it to have worked out the new model bugs. Most of the issues you read on here are silly and not reflective of the quality of the car.

I looked at both before buying my 2SS LS3 and it always came down to the SS was just plain old sexy.
HufferSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:04 PM   #3
Wasp

Drives: 2011 Camaro Victory Red 2SS/RS
Challenger may be slower, but it's sexy too. The interior has more room, but it's pretty ugly. The Challenger is a great car too. Maybe not a 2009 model. It may be a little buggy
Old 07-31-2011, 08:04 PM   #4
LS1hawk

Drives: 11 SGM 2SS/RS
Very reliable, thousands on the roads with no problems. Lots of enthusiasts on this site push their cars a little harder than the norm which causes a few issues. No widespread issues. Choose what car you enjoy looking at and enjoy driving more. We are all here because we love the Camaro!!
Old 07-31-2011, 08:05 PM   #5
GB EB

Drives: 2014 Stingray 2LT/Z51
You can do what we did.

GET BOTH.

2011 IOM Camaro 2SS/RS
and
2011 Black Challenger R/T

*TROPHY RECIPIENT - GREATEST SHOW ON TURF 9/11/11*
*1ST PLACE MODERN MUSCLE - CORONADO SPEED FESTIVAL 9/23/11*
*AWARD OF EXCELLENCE - GOOD GUYS DEL MAR FALL NATIONALS 11/27/11*
*1ST PLACE / '82&UP CAMARO/FIREBIRD- FORT WALTON BEACH FF SHOW 2/16/13*
BUILD THREAD: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120353
GB EB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:06 PM   #6
CallMeWonder

Drives: Mercedes E350
Well first, if you ask this question in a Camaro forum, your going to get a Camaro answer.

On the topic of the thread. Performance wise, the Camaro is considerably faster then the Challenger. Not only because of the Challenger's high curb weight but more power.

The Camaro is also more efficient, giving more MPG. Some may not care, but an equal amount do.

On a last note, JD Power and Associates says Chevy vehicles have on average less problems then Dodge vehicles. The top 3 being Toyota, Mercedes, and Lexus.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Inaugural Edition Challenger!
Old 07-31-2011, 08:07 PM   #7
REDXIIIDave
El Chupacabra

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6 Black/Black
I would expect the reliability to be about the same. Drive both and pick the one you like best. There is no wrong choice. The SS will be significantly faster, though.
REDXIIIDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:08 PM   #8
dutchnrican
brevard

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS M6.
Personal preference. If I didn't have or wasn't getting a camaro, I would get a challenger.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:08 PM   #9
Svenski
Newbie/wannabe

Drives: GMC Canyon
My wife has a 2009 Challenger and I just picked up a 2010 Camaro RS. Both are v6 cars and both are great. It really is a personal issue of which one makes you smile more when look at it. Buy what you like even if it is only for the color.
Svenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:10 PM   #10
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
I like the Challenger but I liked the Camaro better. I have an early production R6P Camaro and the only problem I had was the spoiler nuts kept coming loose. I had the dealer fix it under warranty, no problems since.

The interior of the Challenger looks almost exactly like my Dodge Charger which was a huge turn off.

Russ
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:21 PM   #11
Dr.Manhattan

Drives: Camaro
Great responses thus far. Very glad this is not turning into a flaming war between one car or the other, the way I look at it, they are both 2 great cars putting North America on the map.

I looked at the Dodge Challengers interior, and it was totally lackluster. It seemed boring, plain, and envisioned what I might be able to do with some mods but in the end, a lot of the gauges and the situation of certain things feels like I should be in a Mini-Van.

The Camaro does have a nicer interior, but not by much. Why so many cheap plastic parts inside ?. I know I am not paying for a Vette', but still it's a fair bit of money to be surrounded by plastic components.

The better gas mileage does play a decent role, as does the improve horse power over the dodge. The outside of both cars are great. I feel the Camaro screams future, while the Challenger screams retro which works well for both. I was just really concerned with a lot of the issues with the car I've been reading up on, and am glad some of that can be chalked up to ridiculous modding projects and serious lead foot.

Looking to test drive them both tomorrow to help sway my decision, but by all means post anything relevant here that can help :-).
Dr.Manhattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:26 PM   #12
cdn2usa

Drives: 2010 2SS
I for one am not going to fall for this play.

You posted your question on a Camaro forum, what do you expect? Dr.?
Hurst Shifter,CAI,Vmax throttle body, Kooks LT Headers, High Flow Cats,Borla Touring Axle Back, ADM Scoop, Washwater relocation,Diablo Predator(c/w Ted's Magic), Custom start defeat switch, painted engine cover, shark fin & bow ties, ABL lighting, Rear Camera.
cdn2usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:31 PM   #13
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Well to be honest...I was debating between a challenger r/t, mustang dub edition and a camaro. It took me months to decide. I looked up everything, looked at each car multiple times. I ruled out the mustang fairly quickly b/c I was raised a GM girl and even tho I have owned 2 '69 mustangs in the past, I just couldn't see myself driving a new one and they wanted way too much for a v6.

I liked the challenger b/c it was roomy and the interior was more flashy. The camaro won me over on performance tho. I decided to test drive a camaro and fell in love immediately. I knew that was my car and a few days later I walked out with the one I have now. I didnt get all the bells and whistles b/c I didnt want them (like the RS package) and I knew to stay away from the SS. I drive way too fast and would have gotten in way too much trouble with it.

I'm not crazy about how boring the interior is in the camaro but for the perfomance aspect, it was worth it. You can always mod the interior. Either way, they are both beautiful cars. Good luck in your decision.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:36 PM   #14
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
had one plastic piece that kept popping off, since replaced absolutely no problems. this car is probably the best made car I have ever owned. after a year and a half I am really really satisfied!! Permagrin is a wonderful thing~

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote