Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 04-19-2024, 04:29 PM   #1
midnight1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Glitter in my catch can

What’s going on guys?
So today I was washing my car and decided to empty the catch can out. I open it up and inspect the oil, and I see a little bit of glitter in there.

Not sure if any of you have had the same thing happen to you but my buddy gave me the idea of ordering an oil inspection kit from blackstone so that I can send a small sample of oil after my next oil change. Hopefully it’s normal.

My car is basically a stock SS except for an intake, no tune.
Attached Images

midnight1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 04:55 PM   #2
That1guy_tim

Drives: Camaro 1ss
I have not seen this in mine. Hopefully it's not bearing material.. I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya.
Old 04-20-2024, 01:21 AM   #3
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight1ss View Post
What’s going on guys?
So today I was washing my car and decided to empty the catch can out. I open it up and inspect the oil, and I see a little bit of glitter in there.

Not sure if any of you have had the same thing happen to you but my buddy gave me the idea of ordering an oil inspection kit from blackstone so that I can send a small sample of oil after my next oil change. Hopefully it’s normal.

My car is basically a stock SS except for an intake, no tune.
I would recommend the oil analysis from Blackstone, its cheap. Once you get it you can compare your numbers to the averages and will be able to tell right away if it is in fact metal from engine wear.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 02:22 PM   #4
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
OP I sincerely hope this turns out to not be a serious issue- but am I the only one who thought, "Man, that sounds like a song lyric" when they read your thread title- LOL!
Sorry, I may have wasted that last brain cell last night, but good luck!
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 03:58 PM   #5
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
OK- since I kind've made light of your situation, I decided to go out and check my Mishimoto baffled can as well (I think that's what your pic shows, right). Since I had changed my oil last because it was "time" and not due to mileage, I had deciced to wait until the next change to drain it. I'm back down to 65% to the good on my current oil and the car is just north of 22,000 miles. I try not to abuse her much but I do run it pretty hard from time to time- sometimes even before it's good and warmed up. Hey, a pretty, young girl asked me to!
Anyway, I pulled the whole can off- didn't just drain it from the plug and I got 1 fl.oz of old oil and saw zero particulate matter (metallic or otherwise) but I also was reminded of how fine the threads are on the Mishimoto can. Could the source of your debris be from a little cross threading when attaching the can to the top? I'm hoping thats the case.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 04:13 PM   #6
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Did you Probe it with a magnet to see if it is ferrous or nonferrous.
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 09:35 AM   #7
midnight1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
OP I sincerely hope this turns out to not be a serious issue- but am I the only one who thought, "Man, that sounds like a song lyric" when they read your thread title- LOL!
Sorry, I may have wasted that last brain cell last night, but good luck!
😂😂😂 that was actually funny. To respond to your other comment, I think it might be from the thread from the can as well since it really didn’t have any glitter on the last time I checked the catch can. I’ve had the catch can for around a year and have changed my oil twice within that year with less than 1000 miles between the oil change interval (trying to keep the car running strong) and I have emptied the catch can around 5 times. The only time I saw some sparkle was during the first time I emptied it out and then nothing after up until this last time.
midnight1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 11:24 AM   #8
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...there-oil.html
I like the magnet idea.
ctrlz is online now   Reply With Quote