Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 03-17-2021, 09:17 PM   #1
SD-1LE

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Tire Wear with Track Alignment

Sorry in advance, I'm sure this has been covered already, but I search isn't turning anything up for me.

Does anyone have experience running the track alignment (GM track camber or more) long term on the street? How much more quickly does it really wear the tires? Conversely, does the track alignment significantly reduce wear at the track or does it mainly improve performance?

I'm thinking maybe I should switch to the track alignment before my next track day, but I'd like to avoid the cost + hassle of switching back and forth before/after each event. Maybe leave it on the track settings unless I know I'm going to be going on a weekend trip?

I 'daily' the car, but primarily working from home. I've only put about 3k miles on it since picking it up ~8 months ago. So I'm not racking up tons of miles. I do drive it on occasional longer trips as well as to/from the track (say, 500 miles round trip). I'm still a major novice on track, so ran the street alignment setting my only two track days so far.
SD-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 10:45 PM   #2
eimarshall

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE Hyperblue
The track alignment from Chevy isnt terribly aggressive. I DD’d with it for 2 years and saw minimal wear issues. If you track as well, even as a novice, you’ll probably get more even wear with the track alignment than without.
eimarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 11:07 PM   #3
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
I can’t yet speak to this car or the tires. I run -2.6 camber for autocross but will also keep it for street. But with years of experience in a track prepped fifth gen, -2.2 camber only helped make the wear more even on the street with 295/30 and 285/35 series tires . Though the inside still wore less.At -2.5 the wear was more even. Hope that helps.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 05:42 AM   #4
That1guy_tim

Drives: Camaro 1ss
Camber doesn't accelerate tire wear as much as people think. Toe is what kills tires quickly. over the life of the tire running high camber you'll see uneven wear but as long as your toe setting isn't crazy aggressive you should still see good life out of your tires
Old 03-18-2021, 07:28 AM   #5
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
I'd still recommend getting the track alignment. I had it on mine pretty much since day 1, got 12,500 miles and ~20 track days out of them before seeing cords on the inside edge. Overall wear was still pretty even, and IMO the extra couple hundred miles I might have gotten by switching alignments back and fourth wasn't worth it.

As others have mentioned, just make sure the toe is dead-on the spec and you should be fine. Toe+camber will kill tires because toe introduces a lateral scrub component to the tire and combining that with more negative camber will eat the inside edge of the tire very quickly on the street.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:54 AM   #6
pbsinternet1le

Drives: 2017 1le current /2015 2ss 1le sold
Go for max front around -2.5 and -1.5 rear.. tire wear is not an issue.

Last edited by pbsinternet1le; 03-18-2021 at 12:00 PM.
pbsinternet1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 10:32 AM   #7
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by That1guy_tim View Post
Camber doesn't accelerate tire wear as much as people think. Toe is what kills tires quickly. over the life of the tire running high camber you'll see uneven wear but as long as your toe setting isn't crazy aggressive you should still see good life out of your tires
Yep. And 0 toe or as Chevy performance manual says is what I always used to good effect.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 05:32 PM   #8
JK001

Drives: ZHP, Alfa 4C, RAM, X5, 17SS1LE-sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
Yep. And 0 toe or as Chevy performance manual says is what I always used to good effect.
Yes, toe is key. You can run slightly total toe out (pos) in front if tracking alot. Crank the camber to max. Vorschlag sell great quality camber plates for extra neg camber
JK001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 06:35 PM   #9
funked1

Drives: '23 Hyundai Kona N, '24 VW GTI
It has actually made my tread wear more even. And the improvement in turn in was immediately noticeable on an autocross course.
funked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 07:34 PM   #10
Kmeleon

Drives: 2018 NFG 2SS 1LE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by funked1 View Post
It has actually made my tread wear more even. And the improvement in turn in was immediately noticeable on an autocross course.
+1 get the track alignment, tire wear is much better.
Kmeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 11:41 PM   #11
Scargoes

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK001 View Post
Yes, toe is key. You can run slightly total toe out (pos) in front if tracking alot. Crank the camber to max. Vorschlag sell great quality camber plates for extra neg camber

Positive (+) toe would be toe in. Toe out would be Negative (-)

But to answer the main question, it really depends on what you do with the car. I'm at -3F and -2R and my outside edges still wear quicker that the inside edges. No, it isn't a toe issue, I'm at -0.04F and 0.1R. I just corner really hard.

1:34.20 Willow Springs Big Track
Scargoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 07:08 AM   #12
KILLA BEE
Black lightning

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eimarshall View Post
The track alignment from Chevy isnt terribly aggressive. I DD’d with it for 2 years and saw minimal wear issues. If you track as well, even as a novice, you’ll probably get more even wear with the track alignment than without.
So the dealer actually did your trak alignment or you took the specs elsewhere and had it done
Old 03-19-2021, 11:06 AM   #13
machinis

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
I daily drive mine with downgraded NT555G2, and 60K miles. My car came with track alignment from the dealer. I couldn't notice it with the original tires because they barely lasted 10K miles, however when I downgraded to the NT555G2's, the front tires showed "cupping" issues after 20K miles. Needless to say, I had to realign the car and replace the front tires.
machinis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 12:51 PM   #14
SD-1LE

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1BC View Post
I'd still recommend getting the track alignment. I had it on mine pretty much since day 1, got 12,500 miles and ~20 track days out of them before seeing cords on the inside edge. Overall wear was still pretty even, and IMO the extra couple hundred miles I might have gotten by switching alignments back and fourth wasn't worth it.

As others have mentioned, just make sure the toe is dead-on the spec and you should be fine. Toe+camber will kill tires because toe introduces a lateral scrub component to the tire and combining that with more negative camber will eat the inside edge of the tire very quickly on the street.
Thanks! 12k miles and 20 track days on the OEM Goodyears? That is an easy sell for the track alignment. Getting that switched back as soon as I'm registered for my next track day.
SD-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
daily, track alignment