#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 09-05-2019, 06:37 PM   #1
loyaltyisking

Drives: Chevelle
Cheap Gas and the ZL1...

So-

I have a 2017 ZL1 M6.. Everything has been great with the car! When I first got the car I was pretty happy with the power it made. Recently the car felt a lot slower and got me thinking 3 things- 1)I need more juice, 2) I am just getting used to it and 3) What I really thought- my car is busted.

Im creeping on 10k miles and was starting to think about upgrades anyway. I thought to get a baseline and see where Im at to start- Went to the Dyno and WTF... 480 to the wheels. This assured me the car was underpowered and that of the 3 options I had the least favorable one to sort.

Now back track 2.5 weeks.. Im a nice guy. Maybe too nice. My buddy tells me hes got a hot date and wants to borrow my Z. Im like sure buddy, just dont fornicate in the car, suede is too nice for that shit. He brings it back all fine, no weird stains on the interior... I let the car sit for maybe a week before I took it out again and I noticed almost right away the car felt different. I thought I was being paranoid but still called my buddy. He told me it did feel a little different towards the end of the night. I know these cars sometimes have air trapped in the cooling system and thought to myself maybe it was getting hot. Checked the cooling and everything seemed fine. No codes, temp was fine, couldn't get this one pinned down. Reached out to a local tuner and obviously was pretty disappointed with the outcome. The Dyno chart was super choppy (ill post pics). So choppy- the tuner kept asking about the gas, to which I assured em no way anything less than 91 at any point. Kinda left it at that and he told me def go see the Dealer..

As Im leaving I call my buddy.. "hey buddy, member when you borrowed my car? Did you put 91 in it? Cuz you know the gas cap clearly says 91 only." I explained to him how the dyno was a waste and how my car is now trash, and Im just going to go drive it off a cliff and be done with it. THEN and only THEN did he tell me he put 87 to save a couple bucks for the date... Yes thats right. To save literally maybe 3-4 bucks, he compromised my ZL1. And I later found out through the grape vine at some point that evening they ran out of gas... FML... What the fuuuuuuckk was I thinking. My fault. I should have known better. ATLEAST I would be able to go in some direction about the solution to this problem. I went to get some injector cleaner, let the car run til it was pretty much done with the tank, then went to fill up with some premium 91 and the cleaner.. and TADDDDAAAAAAA... the car woke back up within 15 minutes!!! Cars been running how it was designed to run. For sure. No kinda traction in 1st and 2nd is a hand full. Cars at the dealer now just getting a once over before any serious mods take place. Once its out ill take it back to the dyno to get a real baseline...

Moral of this story- DO NOT LET FRIENDS BORROW YOUR TOYS.. and NO LESS THAN 91 PEOPLE, it can have some serious effects on performance.
loyaltyisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 06:56 PM   #2
Mcmillion

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1998 SS 1992 Typhoon
I had KR even on 91, but a few gallons of E85 per tank solved that.
Mcmillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:15 PM   #3
Scraps0f

Drives: 2018 NGM ZL1
How did he not put gas in when that loud ass bell went off for low gas warning and did he just floor it after wards? How long/far did he think he could drive a Z car without putting gas in it? If he was a true buddy, before heading to pick up the date he would have filled the tank for an evening of fun.

I'm sorry, but I would be pissed at the person. Who try's to save money on a date, I thought the guy was trying to peacock with your help? He should have been going into debt trying to impress then....
Scraps0f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:18 PM   #4
Homeless Junkie

Drives: around in circles few days a month
There’s one or two friends I let borrow my toys or truck. Lending out expensive stuff to friends is a good way to ruin a friendship.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:08 PM   #5
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
I can't figure out if this is a serious post, or if you are slightly hypomanic...
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:15 PM   #6
Og Neon
Lover of Speed

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Why the heck would you loan your car out to a broke friend trying to impress a girl? Is he going to borrow the car every date? Bonehead move on your part...lol

2021 One Lap of America Track Videos
2019 One Lap of America Track Videos
2017 One Lap of America Track Videos

2022 Ram TRX
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
2020 Range Rover Sport SVR (Sold)
2014 Grand Cherokee SRT (Sold)
2014 Camaro Z/28 (Sold)
Og Neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:23 PM   #7
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Trolling... efforts were made.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:39 PM   #8
loyaltyisking

LOL ... yes fellas this ones entirely on me.. without a doubt my fault.. BUT I have had a few LS platform cars and never seen anything near power losses like this one. I guess I was just a tad surprised at how the LT4 reacted to the gas more than anything

BUT YES I AM A SINNER.. father forgive me..
Old 09-05-2019, 09:49 PM   #9
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
You did what now...??
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:50 PM   #10
Revalot

Drives: ZL1/1LE parts added
Location: Somewhere around Texas pines tress and smooth asphalt
With a friend like that who needs enemy's? He borrowed a 70K car to impress a woman. But was to cheap to put $45 worth of 91-93 octane in it ? He doesn't appreciate what you work hard for. I have only two cousins I would let borrow my ZL1/1LE, we have high hp classic cars/sportbikes, and I borrowed his Z06 C6, two months ago to see if a corvette was for me. I had it 4 days, and washed it twice, and filled it up 93 octane. And I would bet he doesn't even get or keep the girl ! LOL ! Man never let someone use your stuff if they dont take care of there on or are to cheap to go get there own !
Revalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:14 PM   #11
loyaltyisking

Na I get it... trust me guys, I kinda knew this friend was probably not the most responsible, but he had been having a hard last few months. Was hoping this would bring some joy. Backfired for me.

But back to the REAL point here... trying to possibly help some one in the future bout how sensitive the LT4 is to gas. Maybe some one unknowingly runs a bad batch and the cars just losing power when some ones getting it, no check engine lights came on, no temp issues... wasn’t something that was obvious. I just didn’t think a lower grade gas could cause such a big problem. I did not think bout the bad gas til it was on a dyno and I could see a very sketchy graph. This lingered for a couple weeks. I maybe drove it 50-80 miles in those 2 weeks.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:16 PM   #12
Pepsiguru

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
Would rather lend the wife out than the car, at least I know where she's gonna get hit :P

Joking . . . but still . . .
Pepsiguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:18 PM   #13
RAT Raceway

Drives: ZL1-1LE, 5th Gen COPO
We would no longer be friends... Just say’n!
RAT Raceway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 11:20 PM   #14
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Wow I would never let any of my friends borrow my ZL1 at any time to impress whoever!! I use 93 Shell V-power or 93 Chevron in mine 98% of the time! Moral of the story, don’t let anyone borrow your ZL1 no matter who it is!!!