Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-27-2021, 09:52 PM   #1
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Camaro Street/Strip summer setup

I just started looking at Nittos again and found these:

NITTO
NT555RII
https://www.discounttiredirect.com/b...nitto-nt555rii

Anyone have any experience with these new street-1/4 DRs?

Finally there is a 20" 305 /30 R20 DR for Camaro 20" wheels. These could be the new hot setup for ZL1s rather than Toyo R888Rs, which are really soft Track tires. I have run NT555Rs but they are 35 Profile.

On my 2016 SS I ran these 35s on 1LE wheels. But I also tried a 35 Nitto in the front and I had to use a spacer to avoid rubbing. I Also ran them on my 2013 TT 1LE. This is an okay DR in the 1/4 but also a good compromise tire
for the street.

My MT ET'17" Streets are also a great street strip track compromise, with a little better traction at the strip. And in addition I would not hesitate using the NT555Rs Nittos on a race track at 7/8 tenths or for dodging cones in a parking lot.

I am thinking of using these on the rear wheels with a 30 NT555 G2 in the front.

If this is a go I will sell my 17" DR setup. This Nitto setup on MRR 1LE wheels would be my summer setup and my stock LT1 setup would be my winter tires.

Last edited by Fraxum; 03-27-2021 at 10:44 PM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 10:47 AM   #2
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Since you are a manual the 30's would probably be better for gearing but worse for launching. So it depends on your goals. Either way the R2 a is good tire...drives nicer and more stable then the previous R's. They are a stiffer sidewall with a higher speed rating and may not hook as well with clutch drops shocking the tire which has always been a issue with manual cars and drag radials.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 10:28 AM   #3
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Since you are a manual the 30's would probably be better for gearing but worse for launching. So it depends on your goals. Either way the R2 a is good tire...drives nicer and more stable then the previous R's. They are a stiffer sidewall with a higher speed rating and may not hook as well with clutch drops shocking the tire which has always been a issue with manual cars and drag radials.
Thanks. These 20" tires are what I have been waiting for at the Camaro 1LE height. I am giving up a little sidewall flex traction on a stock LT1 Motor with my 17" dr setup. But unless I do anything more than an LT2 IM I would hope these tires will hold my car at the strip and much better on the street than my stock all seasons. I know I am adding unsprung weight so the car will be a litte slower. I will need some really good air to get into the 11s. I am close.....

But I love the MRR 1LE wheels on the car. This will be my summer set up. and with the stiffer sidewall if I do track I should be fine there also. But I don't have the SS coolers. I can still have fun for a lap or two.

And selling the 17" DR setup will just about pay for 4 tires. Win/Win.

No clutch drop here. If I do that the GM bog will kick in and stop the fun. With practice and tires i did get to a few low 1.8s. Not bad for a M6. AL O. said you can get a decent launch with a progressive clutch slide. Thanks Al!