Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-26-2021, 11:55 AM   #57
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
Well - in fairness you should also include total costs if you want a true comparison. So include maint such as oil changes, repairs, tires and insurance in those numbers. That's where the truck may shine because it could go 80K on a set of tires, or at most 2 sets where a SS / 1LE is going to use up 4 sets during that same time period - and more expensive tires, more expensive oil changes, more expensive insurance, etc.
Fuel costs are one portion of that.

And then you *could* add in depreciation costs but that's a harder number to pin down. Again - that's where that truck just might be the cheapest overall thing you could drive - although just the fuel numbers alone won't show it.
My truck cost more to insure than my Camaro

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 11:58 AM   #58
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lebowski View Post
California is a 60 year old dried up has been roadie, with a raspy voice, who screwed every band member and STILL thinks she’s hot.
Actually I think that is way over selling it....
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 12:00 PM   #59
c4racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
But is that because you have it listed as more miles?

Mine is about the same even though I have double the miles listed - that's with Geico.

Could also be based on values - my truck is about the same value / MSRP as my Camaro FWIW.

But if you had a 10 year old truck, I bet that would be cheaper - at least based on similar miles assuming your insurance company does rates based on miles / year.
Old 02-26-2021, 12:02 PM   #60
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Well - in fairness you should also include total costs if you want a true comparison. So include maint such as oil changes, repairs, tires and insurance in those numbers. That's where the truck may shine because it could go 80K on a set of tires, or at most 2 sets where a SS / 1LE is going to use up 4 sets during that same time period - and more expensive tires, more expensive oil changes, more expensive insurance, etc.
Fuel costs are one portion of that.

And then you *could* add in depreciation costs but that's a harder number to pin down. Again - that's where that truck just might be the cheapest overall thing you could drive - although just the fuel numbers alone won't show it.
Totally valid points, but my comments were directed at FUEL costs per mile.

FWIW, the truck is on its second set of tires (OEM GY are crap). I've paid FAR more for oil changes on the truck than I would ever pay cumulatively for the Camaro over its life because the truck had its oil changes done at the dealer.

When you factor in the non-fuel operating costs (repairs, maintenance, insurance, registration, taxes, etc.), you also have to understand why they may or may not skew numbers and in what direction. For example, taxes on the Camaro are higher per year for a car that gets driven half as many miles in a year as the truck. Simply by using the car as my daily and getting rid of the truck I would see a big drop in the impact on cost per mile from taxes.

I've put a set of tires ($900) and brakes on both axles ($600) on the truck. While that's a good chunk of money, it gets averaged out over 5.5 years and 80,000 miles of driving. Also, those expenses are "bumpy" because they immediately have a direct upward impact on cost per mile but fade out over time. Fuel costs per mile are "bumpy" for about 5,000 miles and then are reasonably flat (unless something happens to make the fuel consumption change significantly).
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 12:06 PM   #61
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:

Mine is about the same even though I have double the miles listed - that's with Geico.

Could also be based on values - my truck is about the same value / MSRP as my Camaro FWIW.

But if you had a 10 year old truck, I bet that would be cheaper - at least based on similar miles assuming your insurance company does rates based on miles / year.
All of my vehicles are listed as "Pleasure" because I have no official commute (I don't work in an office). My Camaro is about 20% higher in premium compared to my truck, and the lion's share of that comes from the Collision coverage because the Camaro is so much newer AND so much more likely to have expensive damage if I'm in an at-fault accident. I'm also carrying insurance to pay off the Camaro's loan (gap insurance - NEVER buy this as part of the loan!), but that amounts to like $25/year.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 12:08 PM   #62
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Totally valid points, but my comments were directed at FUEL costs per mile.

FWIW, the truck is on its second set of tires (OEM GY are crap). I've paid FAR more for oil changes on the truck than I would ever pay cumulatively for the Camaro over its life because the truck had its oil changes done at the dealer.

When you factor in the non-fuel operating costs (repairs, maintenance, insurance, registration, taxes, etc.), you also have to understand why they may or may not skew numbers and in what direction. For example, taxes on the Camaro are higher per year for a car that gets driven half as many miles in a year as the truck. Simply by using the car as my daily and getting rid of the truck I would see a big drop in the impact on cost per mile from taxes.

I've put a set of tires ($900) and brakes on both axles ($600) on the truck. While that's a good chunk of money, it gets averaged out over 5.5 years and 80,000 miles of driving. Also, those expenses are "bumpy" because they immediately have a direct upward impact on cost per mile but fade out over time. Fuel costs per mile are "bumpy" for about 5,000 miles and then are reasonably flat (unless something happens to make the fuel consumption change significantly).
There’s an even deeper calculation of perceived value.

Like when you need to pick up that load of drywall, or haul a JY LS motor for your buddy who’s doing a Turbo LS in something really cool, or that hot, single girl needs to be pulled out of a ditch in a snow storm that ends in a “Dear Penthouse” kinda way. The list goes on & on...
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 12:46 PM   #63
FarmerFran

Quote:

Covid aside and I have Geico also, the miles are listed the same. The truck has a higher value. The premium is really close for both but still more. And you could say the same if the Camaro was 10 years old.

EDIT: My point and maybe just where I live but the vehicle itself has little to do with the cost to insure. Well the average car, including a Camaro, even a SS. Even for a new 16 year old driver. Replacement value is the biggest as well as the amount of damage the said vehicle could do in an accident

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.

Last edited by FarmerFran; 02-26-2021 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-26-2021, 01:16 PM   #64
c4racer

ya - I think mostly driven by repair and replacement costs.
Old 02-26-2021, 02:00 PM   #65
Zaqwert6

Drives: 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
Yea. Camaro is even cheaper than the 17 Accord we recently sold. (V6 coupe)
Zaqwert6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 04:36 PM   #66
Zr8000

Drives: Chevy Camaro
My camaro is way cheaper on gas for the season than my snowmobile
Zr8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 04:42 PM   #67
FarmerFran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zr8000 View Post
My camaro is way cheaper on gas for the season than my snowmobile
Sounds like my V-twin John Deere that is like Gallons per mow

Old 02-26-2021, 04:54 PM   #68
willzilla
D3RPZILLA

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 a10
Man this thread is wild, lol.

Happy I work remote and can keep the miles down... Also happy I live in south texas now... Awesome weather (minus the wild fluke storm last week), cheap gas, cheap cost of living, low taxes (no state income taxes), and only a couple hours from some awesome beaches (without homeless camps on them), and some awesome rivers but... Everyone can have their own opinions on what they enjoy and where they love to live, it's nice having 50 states to choose from lol

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
willzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 05:16 PM   #69
srcstc

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaqwert6 View Post
I get in the mid 20s (2SS) daily so I don't even see it as an issue. Got one in the garage that gets about 6 so this is my economy car. Lol.

How the heck do you average 25mpg?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srcstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 05:42 PM   #70
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by willzilla View Post
Man this thread is wild, lol.

Happy I work remote and can keep the miles down... Also happy I live in south texas now... Awesome weather (minus the wild fluke storm last week), cheap gas, cheap cost of living, low taxes (no state income taxes), and only a couple hours from some awesome beaches (without homeless camps on them), and some awesome rivers but... Everyone can have their own opinions on what they enjoy and where they love to live, it's nice having 50 states to choose from lol

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
Better not be talking about Galveston beach with that nasty water lmaoo
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is online now   Reply With Quote